November 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - 3K+ is a whole lot of work and with the editing too, wow!
April - yeah I often have breaks during which I do "something else".
Magnus - oh dear, get well soon I hope.
Pterofan - AKA Captain 1K :)

OK today's word count on Demon Hunter is 2252. Shana & Co have found Ella and it's far from a happy reunion. Sub plot coming in here, conflict & tension between Shana and Ella, and Ella's backstory comes out. Oh, I do love writing about broken relationships. With a bit of luck I might have 50K done by the end of the week.

I also plotted out "Logic Bomb" a little more. But I need more conflict!

keep on swimming! :)

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Get well soon, Magnus!

Pterofan: Woo, well done! Whenever I set myself a daily count it’s quite often finished at 23:58.

sandree: Wow, that’s so close! Yeah, it might be wiser to hang off until January. Think of all those people with Christmas book vouchers to spend :)

Layla: You must have needed the snooze. Good job on still getting 1/2 page though. I used to beat myself up if I overslept but I’m getting better at letting myself off the hook.

Keithy: Crackin’ count! You’re fair flying through this one.

I ‘revised’ my final chap and started on the first one—about 1k drafted. Not the most productive day, but better than a smack in the face.

Day 13: Wee bit; 5 miles; slippery chills

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 13- Finally got around to looking at my beta edits and doing something about it. I divided them into easy, medium, and hard. Easy is done, medium shouldn't take too long, but hard. Well, hard means deleting a chapter and dividing a way too long chapter into three. Then I'll do one last pass through to add more voice and description.

Pterofan-- I went on a nature walk yesterday and the only thing I saw was one squirrel. So three supposedly bald eagles is awesome.

Sandree- Adding. I seriously need to do that. All I ever seem to do is cut.

Layla--At least you got something done.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday

Lirien: Daily max is around 2000+ words. I aim for at least 2000 most days.

April: Hey whatever works! Sounds like you’re formulating a strategy. Nice!

Magnus: Feel better soon!

Pterofan: Sounds like you’ve got some interesting wildlife and good writing going on! Marvel? You could be “1K Woman!” Haha! :D

Sandree: That’s progress! Good!

Layla: Yeah, I oversleep sometimes too—seems it happens when I should not most times! Good progress!

Keithy: Thanks buddy! Great work coming from your side too! Nice! We’re swimming!

April: Revising and editing is so hard. I’m working on a longer thriller/literary sort of story and making it anywhere near ready to look at is a challenge indeed. So, I applaud you on your efforts! It’s easier for me to draft than to edit, for the time being, methinks!

Starrystorm: Good progress!

Me: 300 words written and 161 revised. It was a socializing day, so I’m glad I got anything done at all. Going back to business today to bring back up those totals. See you soon, gang! :D

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 14
Feeling better today and got several pages of notes down. My story is vexing me, but today I turned another corner. I might just completely redo the voice of it. I've had a specific picture of it in my head for so long that it's hard to drop it, but I think a switch will do it well, so it's time to kill that darling. Still a bit more tired than usual but definitely feeling better, so looks like I dodged the worst of it.

Keep swimming folks!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 13 - got my 1000 words in. About 700 was longhand on Book 2, rounded out by 300+ (typed) of flash. I even got to bed at a decent hour.

Just sent a paid assignment back, so now I've got the weekend to type up all that longhand and find out where I stand. Book 2 is getting interesting, so Book 1 just got shoved to the side again. Reminder to self: when writing a series, Book 1 should be written first, not last. Yeah well.

Just got an idea for a scene: my witch gets kidnapped by the wolf shifter. Then the vampire attacks them both. Then my two male heroes show up. The witch doesn't know she has shifter blood yet, since she never met her father and Mama never told her. This would be one hell of a time for her to make her first shift. It would catch everybody by surprise, including her. I know paranormal romance isn't supposed to be funny, but c'mon. If you can't have fun with genre conventions, what's the point in writing? Maybe that's what's wrong with Book 1, it isn't funny enough. I'll finish this one first and see what I can do about it.

Daniel - I could call myself "1der Woman," but then my first battle would be against DC's lawyers...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
April - in the 1K club, good going. It takes me a good few hours to get there, but it's a good milestone to cross because it means "I worked hard today"
Starrystorm - cutting stuff that needs cutting isn't so bad; in fact it's better than keeping it.
Daniel - yeah, you deserve a day off.
Pterofan - see April. Oh, and although I'm a big Wondy fan I'm afraid my "fleshy equipment" would not fit her costume.

OK I did 2124 words. Shana & co are going by ship back to where they started. To help pay for the voyage, Shana volunteered to work as part of the crew even though she gets seasick in a bath. She and Ella have had a massive argument but start accepting each other. Next chapter: more bonding on the rowing bench, they both talk about their traumatic back stories then there's a sea battle. So, sub plot then fun, but I really love writing about interpersonal conflict then resolution. Oh, and I like ice demons.

non-writing:

Preparing to make a birthday card for my wife's 50th. One of my hobbies is making greeting cards, and she likes Winnie the Pooh so that's what I'm doing. Psst, don't tell her!
Went to the swimming pool only to find it was in use for lessons :(

keep swimming!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Magnus: Working at it is still progress! Good work chum!

Pterofan: I admire your persistence at the writing. Good going indeed- "1der Woman!" :p

Keithy: Great work! Excellent progress! Oh and: POOH BEAR WINNIE THE POOH BEAR, LOOKIN' FOR FUN, CHASIN' SOME HONEY BEES! :snoopy:

Me: 4,119 plus 533 words edited/revised. I'm ecstatic about my progress today and the return to form after my day off socializing. I usually take 1-2 days to recover, but today I was right back at it. So enthusiastic about my caravan story and the other work that I'm going at. I think I might try for some poetry this week as well. Looking to return to it. Great day for me, all in all.

Lirien

Registered
Reaction score
Omg Daniel, 4k words!!!

I wrote 0 words on Wednesday, but that is in line with my plan because I have training on Wednesdays so all is good.

Yesterday hit the 1000 mark, but with lots of fidgeting around. And now I'm starting to hate the story and dislike the way it's going.

Now to see what the weekend brings.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lirien: Well done hitting 1k. Sometimes when I hate the story it’s because I’m writing the wrong thing and need to backtrack, and sometimes when I hate the story it’s because it doesn’t resemble the idea in my head and it’s all a big mess, and I just have to roll up my sleeves and get on with it. Figuring out the reason behind the seething hatred is one of the things I find hardest about writing, so if you’re in a similar boat, have ALL the cookies :)

Daniel: Flippin’ eck, 4k! Excellent work. Oh great thanks now I’ve got that theme tune stuck in my head but I don’t know the lyrics for the middle bit so I can’t even sing it properly. Thanks a BUNCH! :p

Keithy: Another crackin’ day for you! Interpersonal conflict is the best. I find the words just spew out if I’ve got that right.

Pterofan: Awesome sauce for another 1k day. In general my fav books are non-comedy books that are written with lots of humour.

Magnus: Glad to hear you’re well enough to shoot that darling right in the heid :p

starry: Well done for taking the plunge on those edits!

I did half of Chapter 1 (1274 drafted) and then kinda gave up because the second half was too hard. It’s been that kind of month so far.

Day 14: Decent bit; 5 miles; rollin’ (ooo!)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Dang Keithy, you’re flying! Keep at it!
April, congrats on the revisions. (Yeah, the not beating ourselves up is a game-changer, at least it was for me.)
Whoo, starry, looking at notes is ackshully a big deal, I think. Congrats on diving in to the editing. (& thanks for your words. ‘Something’ is really different from nothing)
Magnus, congratulations on that corner turning :D
Wow, Ptero - I’m not kidding when I say I’m getting inspired - 700 drafting (if you remember, I write by hand, too. I think my one page is ~ 250-300, maybe) (I would call myself ‘Ponder Woman - my power would be to spend endless time thinking about the problem without ever solving it…)

I missed my post yesterday, I was so tired, so —

Keithy, congrats on another multiple K!
Daniel, 4K. Wow!
Lirien, congrats on the 1000 words yesterday :D
April, congrats on getting that half of Chapter 1 rewritten - wtg

Day 14

WIP — 1/2 page
R/SC — got snax and earbuds on the way home
BP/$$ — earning service

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Sandree - I hope your feelings of fear got a bit more to the background in the past couple of days. People liked your first book, that's a huge thing already! The chances that they won't like this one are not as high, if you ask me.
Layla - I see! Take care. And I hope you have enough tea, coffee and cocoa to survive the cold!
Keithy - Woohoo, congrats on the 2805 + 2252 + 2104 words! You're in the 2K club now.
Daniel - It's getting hot in here. You're on fire, friend!
Lirien - Don't worry about the word count. That you're writing is the most important thing.
April - Yay, way to go! Writing in little fragments seems to work for more of us. Maybe we discovered the secret after all.
Magnus - Hope you feel better already!
Pterofan - 1K superhero, I like that!
Starrystorm - Interesting technique with dividing them. Hope it works out for you :).

I am not too good in maintaining these check-ups and showing myself every day on here, sorry about that! I have been writing and am ahead of NaNo schedule, which I'm glad about.
Day 13: 1,725
Day 14: 1,890
Day 15: 2,020

Am busy with non-writing related things. I'm joining a demonstration tomorrow and am beyond scared about it. So I'm turning media off early this evening to avoid reading right-wing extremist media blasts and pretend that tomorrow will be an easy and mellow day. See you guys after that, I hope!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 14 - 1024 words, all on the book

Started out with longhand, felt the plot swerve into a temporary morass and jumped ahead to a fight scene (typed for better word count). Stopped once I realized I'd hit 1000 (it was going on 10:30 anyway). I can now start the next 1000 where I left off last night. My hapless witch now has a wolf shifter and a vampire fighting over her, and is terrified she's going to end up in a Twilight knockoff. Fortunately the good guys arrive to save her from that fate worse than death. One of them is human and the other's a coyote shifter; I assume that's a step up.

Having suffered a humiliating defeat, my two bad guys decide to team up. Pantser powers, activate!

Keithy - that's okay. My upper half's "fleshy equipment" wouldn't fit in Batman's costume. Also: "She gets seasick in a bath." Love it!

Layla - like your "secret identity." We're all going to need costumes and code names before this month is over. :cape:

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Pia, good to see you :) Glad to hear about your progress, and thanks for the greetings :D. [don’t let the bastards grind you down](It’s joke Latin ‘iligitimi non carborundorum’)

Ptero - shine on you crazy diamond!

Nov 15

WIP - 1/2 page. I’m in some weeds now (grr that pesky logic...)
R/SC - bit o’ binge reading on the comfy couch (it’s a love seat, akshuly)
BP/$$ — mostly moar tidying, going through projects, doing some related tasks

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel - oh, that is mighty progress! And keep the singing down, the wife might hear!
Lirien - hating your work is not uncommon. just keep at it, it'll come.
April - in the 1K plus club, well done.
Piasophia - what a lot of hard work!
Pterofan - a medal for you for the 1K+

OK I had a half day off so "only" did 1224 words today. Shana's been rowing the ship and getting worn out. Then Ella comes along and they swap their respective miserable back stories. The sea battle will have to wait.
I've done 8400 words in four days and I'm well over 50+ for the MS but I can't keep going at this pace without "other stuff to do" piling up. So tomorrow will be a half day too (at best).

Also did some more work on the "logic bomb" storyline. Still needs more conflict and there's more to do on the subplot (s).

non-writing.

Preparing the pieces to make my wife's birthday card. It's going to have a background of hundred acre wood with Pooh giving Eeyore a hug. And "happy birthday" of course.
I've lost all the weight that I gained while the first lot of relatives came to visit.

just keep swimming. (It's not easy, but it's better than drowning)

ubriel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am still alive!

I have been writing and I have no idea what my word count was when last I checked in. I got 4,002 Nano WIP words today. My Nano is now sitting at 29529 words.

I have had to go on a split schedule at work so I can take the stupid breathing treatments and naps... But managed to keep up there too. I mean other than feeling like shredded "this" things are going pretty well. I will try to be more interactive tomorrow. But for now, blow out the candles and put the teddy bears back in the toy box. I am still alive. :Thumbs:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lirien: Indeed, bring on the weekend!

April: Rollin’ down the tracks! Nice!

Layla: Solid progress as always!

PiaSophia: Good luck with the demonstration! And good work on what you’ve done!

Pterofan: Ooooo, an enticing series of events! Cool!

Layla (Again): So much persistence! Great!

Keithy: Swimming! Only 1200? That’s tons!

Ubirlel: Look at that Nano go!

Me: 1,919 words today plus 518 words revised. OK day. I ended up drinking a bit near the end of it, so I took a big nap and am headed to bed early. Still, a success!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Daniel: Booze and nearly 2k written sounds like a braw day to me!

ubriel: Glad to hear it! And well done for cruising through Nano.

Keithy: Awesome work!

Layla: What ye binge reading? I'm re-reading His Dark Materials so I'm up to speed for The Secret Commonwealth.

Pterofan: Ha! Oh I'm glad the goodies arrived in the nick of time :)

Pia: Awesome work keeping up with Nano. Good luck for the presentation. I'm staying away from all media right now. Just can't be arsed with the ongoing Brexit/election shambles. It's all so depressing.

I finished my chapter then couldn't be bothered doing anything else. Meh. I feel this book is still missing a bit of an emotional core, so I need to spend a bit of time thinking about that.

Day 15: Wee bit; 5 miles; jazz hands

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
So I wrote about 800 words yesterday afternoon and hope to write a lot more today. I'm giving my beta readers the weekend to finish their review of the first half of the book before I move back into edit mode of book 1. A third beta reader responded with comments that she too is reviewing the ms in detail and will provide a response.

Life is good right now, work is very busy, and I am glad it is the weekend. Let's see how everyone is doing:

April: Nice job finishing the chapter. I find that by stepping into the eyes and mind of the character and envisioning how I might respond to circumstances, it helps me touch the emotional strings of the story. Also listen to any developmental readers you may have. I've used readers (family) to review my work as I write it and give me feedback. There have been a few instances where they pointed out the a character was being too insensitive or lacked natural emotion given the circumstances of the moment.

Daniel - nice job on the work count. You do a great job moving forward with your content. Keep working at trying to turn the corner on stifling the habits you want to get rid of. Its an effort that is well worth the journey.

Ubriel - 29529 is awesome work. You really crank out the content. Keep at it.

Keithy - well done on advancing your writing. 50k+ is a great deal of work. I'm curious about your targeted word count. Hopefully you can achieve the story you have envisioned./

Layla - make sure you lift your head out of the weeds to see where you are. Sometimes retracing the work allows us to flow through the weed work better.

Pterofan - glad to see the continued progress on the WIP. You always present intriguing storylines. Keep at it!

Pia - great job keeping ahead of the NaNo schedule.

Lirien - 4k words is impressive - keep chugging along.

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
*sneaks in unnoticed*

Um. Hi. It’s been a rough week. Lots of emotional highs and lows. After consulting with friends here and elsewhere, I’ve returned to editing a fantasy novel I finished last summer. No matter how long it’s been, I adore the characters. No idea where I’ll go afterwards, but I owe it to myself to see it through.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 15 - 1051 words. You can always tell when I've typed the longer stuff because the word count is specific.

I've already put in close to 600 words (approximate/longhand) for today. Just 400 more and I can go to bed before midnight. :e2yawn:

Keithy - can my medal be the kind where you peel off the foil and it's chocolate inside? :D

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
April: I let loose a bunch of steam. Today, there were few repercussions. I handle drinking well and never go beyond my limit. Haven’t gotten even remotely nauseous in over a year. I hope you find the emotional spark back with your work! Also, *jazz hands*!

Robert: Isn’t it exhausting doing editing and writing in the same day? I know it’s probably great for our brains, but holy moly does it ever get me tired at night! :X Good work though!

Taylor: Well, if you like the characters your readers might too! Good to see you! :D

Pterofan: Great work! I hear you on the tiredness too. I’m feeling the sleepies right now. So sleeeepy.

Me: 2,755 words written, including an assignment for college, and 267 words edited/revised. Now, you might think the revision is small, but it honestly is (what I think) a GREAT little part of the story I’m editing. It’s a literary part of the story and metaphors, symbolism, and theme come through with it. I love those parts— it’s what makes the entire thing worth it a hundred times over in a heartbeat.

Besides that, I’ve finished Dostoyevsky’s complete oeuvre of novels and am now working through H.P Lovecraft’s Complete Tales. I like the style and I think I’m learning a lot reading it. I’m also just starting a textbook entitled, “Art Since 1900”. It’s a two textbook series and my friend has lent me this and will lent me the other one once I’m finished. Fuggin’ up not smoking, but I’m trying again tomorrow.

Until then!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
ubriel - ooh that's a lotta words for one day! Sending hat doffings your way.
Daniel - this writing lark is enough to drive anyone to drink. Says me with glass of Pepsi. lots of work there too
Robert Donovan - the first draft was 65K, but i think this version (draft 1.5 I call it) will be 80K plus. I have a siege to write!
Pterofan - I like that sort of medal.

My progress today is 1013 words, the lowest count this week(!) I've just completed the sea battle. It's a bit Ben-Hur ish (and I think that might have to change) but it's fun. FireSpark Demons on the starboard bow!
10000 words for the week is doable, about 550 to go. But I can't work this hard every week, I've other things to do and gawd I'm tired.

non-writing

shopping
coffee
Made the birthday card for my wife. It's got Winnie the Pooh on the front as promised.
So much reading to do.

keep at it, sailing or swimming along.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, congrats on 1.2K on a ‘half-day’ :D

Hi Ubriel, nice work with that 4K!

Congrats on the 1919 Daniel (and I think it’s ok to have a drink once in a while - some people think you have to quit 100% but I think it’s better to have a little bit of balance. I guess the trick is keeping it small…)

April, congratulations on getting another chapter done ;). (Another Mercedes Lackey - I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole, no mistake)

Yeah, KR, and I think the worst thing we can do is fret about it. Congrats on that 800!

Hey Taylor :)

Congrats on all the words Ptero :D

Way to go Daniel - congrats on the 2755!

Keithy - twice in one day! Congrats on the 1013 :D

Day 16

WIP — ok, so I had to ‘retract’ the last several days of work and I'll do it over, & that was it - somewhere between a skip day and not a skip day
R/SC — got a cucumber on the way home from work that I’ll use to make dinner sandwiches
BP/$$ — earning service, lots of small tasks for tidying/sorting out my place

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote another 800 words yesterday and spent some time with idea generation. I tapped into past concepts for where to go next. I also realized that I need to add in more emotional conflict for my character as he is torn between duty and taking care of someone he cares for. In addition I revisited my list of names to draw from. I keep an ongoing list that I add to and pull from when I am introducing new characters. When I add a name to the book I always check to see if there is someone famous or infamous named with the same name or if there is some odd definition. I also got bit by the college football bug yesterday and spent a few hours watching my team and swapping to a few other good matchups.

Layla - I understand needing a "do over". I've rewritten the start of both Book 1 and Book 2 several times. I already know, based on feedback that I will have to revisit the start of book 1 again. But rest assured that each time we do so, we make it better. Keep at it.

Keithy - big fan of Winnie Pooh - who isn't. Great idea to make it yourself - it means much more. My wife once made me a picnic blanket with the pattern of my alma mater on one side and the patchwork quilting of cutup jeans on the other (basically she saves old jeans and then pieces them together to serve as the bottom side of the blanket) Anyway - its my most prized gift ever received because a lot of thought and work went into it. Great job with the writing work. You're making great progress. What's your target audience? I have a siege in my book too and really enjoyed writing it.

Daniel - you are busy busy busy. A lot of stuff to write and read. Impressive - I too learn as I read though sometimes I wonder if the author isn't teaching me bad examples in some cases. Its funny seeing how they break the supposed rules. Keep plugging along.

Pterofan - I am curious about your longhand process. Do you find yourself slow and methodical when writing things out longhand or are you scratching it down quickly and then wondering what your wrote later when you reread it? I struggle with longhand because I am so out of practice with handwriting and its really sloppy.

Taylor - glad to have you here. No need to sneak, we welcome all participants and would love to hear about your progress. I'm glad you pulled out a beloved past work and are revisiting the ms. Best of luck reviewing and updating. Hopefully you are also reading something interesting that helps you both with learning new techniques and sparking your imagination to improve your work.

Keep at it everyone. I am setting my timer for two hours - meaning I am not allowed to take breaks or stray from the PC during that period. I find that I am guilty of taking breaks and it interrupts my flow. So I have to keep my butt in my seat and press forward until I'm "in the zone!" Happy Sunday.

Last edited: