Alternate History

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been dabbling in Alternate History for years bows and I’ve been wondering in the context of this forum is Alternate History considered Historical Writing or does it more fall into the Science Fiction forum?

TStarnes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tstarnes.com
It's almost always in sci-fi. Historical fiction assumes the history remains the same and has to stay true to the general history while telling a story about events important to the character but not recorded in history (or events where the character played a part in the history that was recorded). If the history changes, it's sci-fi.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I'm going to contradict TStarnes a bit and say that I, for one, don't mind seeing talk about alternate history here in this forum. Alternate history is going to be pretty tied to actual history. So I see no problem with thinking/talking about history, research, and fiction here.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I was just curious because though what I’m working on is Alternate history, I know things like Uniforms, tactics, settings still have to be historically accurate to the period it’s set in.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be down for an AH subforum, tho that is its own weird and wild world. Can't wait to explore my 'What if the Kinks Were Bigger Than the Beatles?' timeline.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
And the interesting part about AH is that in my mind they can fall into sub genres. Like for there is the Harry Turtledove series about Aliens invading during WWII, which I’d consider Science fiction, where as another I read, Robert Conroy, base his books more on if different decisions were made during historical events which I would not consider science fiction

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I think if you have questions about actual history for your alternative history story this is a fine forum to be in.

blake.e.weis

Registered
Reaction score
Ok because I like my Alternate History to be as historically accurate as possible

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Ok because I like my Alternate History to be as historically accurate as possible

Like how I like my paranormal historicals to be as historically correct as possible but with the addition of vampires, ghosts, witches, demons--that sort of thing. They would most likely be put in the fantasy genre, but I like to come here for the historical side of things.