White Entitlement means you get to climb Uluru

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
as long as you don't think you'll do any damage.
[FONT=&quot]"I know, people say it’s like climbing a church," Dudas admitted.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"But it’s a national site, and I’m going to take care that I’m not damaging the rock in any way, or leaving trash behind, or painting graffiti on it.[/FONT]

(You also get to call it Ayers Rock because white history is the only history.)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Funny, my white heritage entitles me to kick jerks like that in the head, as long as I don't think I'll do lasting harm to my foot.

I'd get to be one of the last people to kick an entitled jerk in the head for climbing Uluru *and* still calling it Ayers Rock... I think it'll really add something to my head-kicking travels.

I just need the ticket to Australia and a pair of head-kicking cleats.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, people are still doing this?

Not for much longer. But the pictures are awful
“You’d have to be really, really keen to insult and offend Traditional Owners to even consider climbing in such crowded conditions,” one Twitter user posted, while another wrote: “Can any one of these climbers give me a good and valid reason why they feel they must do this? Why should you not be utterly ashamed and embarrassed? Anyone?”

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Guh that whole article is infuriating. Buncha dumbasses. Oz needs to Picnic at Hanging Rock them.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
There are a lot of mountains in the world which no one will care about if you climb, so this isn't about climbing. As the thread title said, it's about being entitled to have something sacred to other people.

"That first time, I really enjoyed the climb: the environment, the people I met, the amazing view across the desert.

"I made sure I did no harm, and I will make sure again this week."

I, I, I. It's all about him.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of mountains in the world which no one will care about if you climb, so this isn't about climbing. As the thread title said, it's about being entitled to have something sacred to other people.

I, I, I. It's all about him.
I will make sure again this week."
Yes, it's all about him and being the kind of jerk who, when people say "Don't!" immediately feel compelled to do it.
Especially when he gets the double thrill of doing something that's against the rules (which don't apply to him, of course) and insulting a group that he doesn't give a damn about, and has just tried to stop him, glorious him, from doing what he damned well pleases.

Any chance that 'someone' could infest the place with deadly Australian poisonous spiders? And clearly mark the area, of course?
Or have someone in the contagious (but not too visible) stage of measles stationed at the bottom of Uluru, shaking hands and handing out 'I've climbed Uluru' stickers?

*These are actually nicer than my original plan, which involved greasing a few rocks in trickier parts of the path.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Haven't heard the latest, but the climb was closed this morning due to high winds. Not sure if it's been opened. (I hope not, because fuck 'em.)

Still, there's a magnificent walk around the base, where visitors can see Uluru in its glorious landscape, and there cultural tours led by Anangu rangers. Or they can go home disappointed because they missed out on their latest chance to be publicly disrespectful. Wankers.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Any chance that 'someone' could infest the place with deadly Australian poisonous spiders? And clearly mark the area, of course?
Or have someone in the contagious (but not too visible) stage of measles stationed at the bottom of Uluru, shaking hands and handing out 'I've climbed Uluru' stickers?

"This is your last chance to hug a saltwater croc!"

"Please don't pet the taipan!"

"The Aborigines ask that visitors respect their culture and under no circumstances stuff raw meat down their pants and taunt the dingoes." (That one should polish off the "Screw native cultures, I'm white so I can do anything!" crowd...)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, my white heritage entitles me to kick jerks like that in the head, as long as I don't think I'll do lasting harm to my foot.

I'd get to be one of the last people to kick an entitled jerk in the head for climbing Uluru *and* still calling it Ayers Rock... I think it'll really add something to my head-kicking travels.

I just need the ticket to Australia and a pair of head-kicking cleats.
And if I had the money, I'd spot you the airfare.
I'd offer to join you, but my situation is such that if I used one foot for kicking, I'd fall over. And why should the Traditional Owners of Uluru have to haul one more idiot's body off their sacred site?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
"This is your last chance to hug a saltwater croc!"

"Please don't pet the taipan!"

"The Aborigines ask that visitors respect their culture and under no circumstances stuff raw meat down their pants and taunt the dingoes." (That one should polish off the "Screw native cultures, I'm white so I can do anything!" crowd...)

How many of the local fauna wouldn't be able to resist the sight of that surging mass of white meat, basting in it's own sweat?
Somewhere the saltwater crocs are thinking of making a pilgrimage inland, across the desert, to the great feast the ancestors have laid out for them. It'll be a long, miserable trip for them, but I'll bet there will be plenty of idiots left next week, trying to sneak past the guards.

Or, maybe the weather will do what the weather so obviously wants to do - pound lightning down all over the top of Uluru! From the look of the place, an adult human standing upright will be the tallest thing around.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The hundreds of people in that line (I think a piece of footage McCardey tweeted) made me feel so ashamed. I can't even imagine lining up for one last chance to desecrate a site of deep cultural significance.

Still, there's a magnificent walk around the base, where visitors can see Uluru in its glorious landscape, and there cultural tours led by Anangu rangers.

I hope this will still be an option if/when I ever get to Australia, because this sounds like a magnificent way to experience a spiritual monument.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Dudas is an arsehole.

Asked not to climb it and still does.

Who mentioned greasing the tricky bits? Yes, please do.

But I agree with Elaine: I'd like to walk around the base and understand the culture of Uluru when I get to Australia again.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to throw out that anyone posting in this thread with a due sense of outrage is promised accommodation at mine when they finally get to Australia. Although my place is a 30+hour drive from Uluru, so there's that...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to throw out that anyone posting in this thread with a due sense of outrage is promised accommodation at mine when they finally get to Australia. Although my place is a 30+hour drive from Uluru, so there's that...

Don't think of it as a 30 hour drive, think of it as a day to discuss Australia, life and writing with a really nice Australian. If there aren't enough of those road-side coffee-stops, you can bring a picnic. And a box of rocks to throw at those hikers who haven't got the news, or are illiterate.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Who mentioned greasing the tricky bits? Yes, please do.
:hi: That was me, I believe. Too arthritic and unbalanced to climb and swab stuff on rocks, but I have it all planned out - use a water-based lubricant (preferably organic or bio-degradable) so that it can be rinsed off once the point has been made. Don't coat the whole path: leave enough room that emergency crews can pick their way up if needed.
Oh, and after that, the Original Owners should consider some sort of almost-transparent wire or nylon lines to hang over the top, like an invisible net - lest some jerk try to land a helicopter up there and play 'Moon Landing'. (Almost invisible so as not to mess with the ancient beauty of the site, not to trick the helicopter into crashing. Well, not entirely.)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm aghast at the selfishness of the climbers, but the comments here (and I know and understand the spirit in which they were meant) to booby-trap the climb in some way would make things worse:

As custodians of the land, Anangu people feel a spiritual responsibility for the area and those who are there. There is deep sadness when a person dies or is injured on Uluru.

(From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50064572 )

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm aghast at the selfishness of the climbers, but the comments here (and I know and understand the spirit in which they were meant) to booby-trap the climb in some way would make things worse:

Ah, if the booby-traps make things worse and are not good for Uluru, then they're not done. :) However, there is always Karma...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And finally, this :
“When I was a little girl,” said Minja Jean Uluru-Reid, “I would come here with Mum and Dad to this place and there was nothing and nobody. No one climbing. It is my home. My memory.

“Now there will be no one climbing again. I am happy.”

“This place”, described by a wide sweep of the hand, is Uluru. Uluru-Reid, an elder of the traditional owners, had come to see the end of long decades of outsiders climbing a rock she and her people are forbidden from climbing by ancient law.

She had come with other elders – Barbara Nipper, Johnny Dingo and Reg Uluru among others – to witness a sign being hoisted at 4pm on Friday declaring the Uluru climb closed permanently.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

I apologize for my statements, especially if they would cause more hurt for the Original Owners. Especially for going into detail.