• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I'm Tense

Mel Born

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
I'm stuck, and need a hand to pull me out of the mire please...

I've got about halfway through a short and realised that I've changed from past to present tense. I was in the flow, but after re-reading and trying to edit everything back to the past the story lends itself to moving from past to present. So...

What's the best way to transition from past to present?

I've done the back story (all past) and want our hero to 'drives into the street, parks up and jumps out'

I want to put the reader right in the middle of the action by using the present, but my newbie fears/ lack of experience are just confusing the issue.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Hotel!

Just go for it. Make sure you have at least a line break, to prepare for the shift.

And decide which POV you want to use eg do you want the third person you are in to be able to see everything, or just from the MC's perspective.

There aren't any right or wrong choices regarding that, but be consistent.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Using present tense isn't an automatic or exclusive route to a reader imagining himself in the middle of the action.

This can be achieved in any POV or tense.

Last edited:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
Get it written first and consider its "correctness" second. The important thing is to get the raw text down. Don't stall out with what should be post-writing editing quibbles.

Regarding your example, I've certainly seen this often in the fiction I've read. I think the reader can figure it out when it happens. And honestly, MOST readers don't know all of these silly "rules" we writers think we're supposed to submit it.

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, edit it.

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
If you tag the change in tense with a very specific piece of action I think it'll be okay. Let the reader see the transition and they'll go along for the ride.

Mel Born

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
:hooray: got it, thanks. There is a perfect place to time slip as our hero arrives at the office and is greeted by an unexpected stranger. Appreciate your help :)