D&D demon dungeon

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, horror writers, my D&D players are headed out to kill a giant demon plant, and I want to turn the inside of its taproot into a creepfest. How can I describe successive layers of hell? Not necessarily burney, Abrahamic hell, more creepy Hollywood hell.

Biffington

Father of a thousand spawn
Registered
Reaction score
A bit late to this, but I have some basic mechanical ideas for you.

Limit light sources. Torches suddenly only work in a ten foot radius, then in a five foot radius. Anyone who has dark vision must make a will save or be scared. Have demons appear as people the party failed in the past. Toss in some ropers and gibbering mouthers.

As far as description goes, consider how things would smell, and especially how things would taste. Adventurers don't want to taste anything in a dungeon, but if a creature has an adventurer's face wrapped up in tentacles, the character will taste it whether they want to or not.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
It can be emotional or physical variations, or a combination of the two. Explore starting in one then adding a new layer of the second. Third layer can combine the two. There are many ways to work this, but this can work.