• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader/swap for 85K Contemporary Rom-Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a beta reader for my adult novel Present Imperfect. I would classify this as a contemporary rom-com with an enemies-to-friends-to-lovers romance.

I'd be grateful for feedback on just the first 1-3 chapters if a whole book is too much commitment. I am also happy to swap-- in addition to Romance, I read and write Science Fiction and Fantasy, both adult and YA.

You can read the first 1,000ish words here: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...rst-1-000-words-of-Contemporary-Romance-novel

And here is my (uncritted, so probably not the greatest) attempt at a query:

Rose Puleo is in the throes of a quarter life crisis. A year ago, she epically ghosted her “perfect” live-in boyfriend after a betrayal-- and torpedoed her meticulously planned future in the process. Now she’s back in her New England home town, working a mindless data-entry job, reluctantly reconnecting with her recovering addict mom, and searching for a better Mr. Perfect.

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s obnoxious best friend, moves to Rose’s town for grad school and sublets an apartment in her building. As far as Rose is concerned, the only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star and a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. And he either doesn’t realize Rose can’t stand him or just enjoys driving her crazy, because now she can’t shake him loose.

Rose strikes a deal with Basher: she’ll hang out with him once a week if he agrees to not blab about her to her ex. Once she gives him a chance, Rose finds a true friend in Basher, someone she can open up to about the dysfunctional past she usually keeps hidden. Just when Rose feels like she’s getting her adulthood train back on track, her deepening friendship with Basher ignites into something more. Now Rose has to choose: keep chasing a life that ticks all the items on her “perfect future” list, or throw the list away and hang on to what she’s got in the imperfect present.

PRESENT IMPERFECT is an 85,000 word Women’s Fiction with an enemies-to-friends-to-lovers Romance and bisexual rep.

Random_Coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'd love to be your beta reader swap!
My book is a 60k steampunk adventure. Here's my blurb:

Sherlyn Coyle is a Constable in the capitol city of Theopolis. Her relentless passion for justice and sharp intellect leads her to join the ranks of Detective. Fang is a mysterious and deadly assassin whose relentless killing leads her to join the ranks of a normal life.

A series of events leads them both on the same path to stop a madman from destroying Theopolis with the fabled Book of Infinite Shadows.

One is a peacekeeper for justice. The other is a trained killer. Can they find the common thread that binds them together instead of fighting against each other? Or will the mysterious madman succeed and usher in a new dark world devoid of life?

Coyle and Fang: Book of Infinite Shadows is the first book of a series set in the world of Umberset where arcane power, steam technology and monstrous creatures reside.

Let me know if you still need beta readers! Thanks!

guppie1813

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm an avid consumer of romance/erotica but just a very newbie writer, so nothing to swap. But I love to read and have lots of opinions, so I would love to read for you. I'm in the largest romance reading demographic (a woman in her 40s). I am almost done Beta reading a Sci-Fi, and I keep telling the author to add more emotions and sexual tension, so I am probably better suited to Beta for a romance! Feel free to PM me if you want more back ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.