Which vs. That

Stormbringer

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, this may be a dumb question and it may have already been answered on one of the threads, but one rule I have always had a problem understanding is when to use which and when to use that. For example:

“Joe painted the house that stood on Main Street.”
“Joe painted the house which stood on Main Street.”

What is the rule here? which is correct? And is it concrete?

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no grammar expert, but I believe which is used for disposable clauses, so:

"Joe painted the house, which was old, that stood on Main Street." correct
"Joe painted the house, that was old, which stood on Main Street." incorrect

“Joe painted the house which stood on Main Street.” is also incorrect but
“Joe painted the house, which stood on Main Street.” would be correct.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I don't worry about grammar when faced with issues like this. I just pick the one that works. As an isolated sentence, the first flows the best for me, but depending on the rhythm of the sentences and paragraph around it, the second may turn out to be better suited.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I think they're both correct, but they mean different things.

"Which" tells us something about the the house, it tells us that it stands on Main Street, whereas "that" differentiates from the other house, the one that doesn't stand on Main Street.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although which and that are often used interchangeably, generally 'that' identifies, whereas ', which' simply adds information.

The house that Jack built... - identifies which particular house we are talking about or looking for. Not the one that Sam or Pete or Ted built, but the one Jack built.

The house, which Jack built,... - We already know the house we are talking about (or maybe it's the only house for miles), but nevertheless we are told that somebody called Jack built it. And note the comma that appears before the 'which'.

Think of the intended meaning of the sentence.

The technical answer will refer to restrictive/non-restrictive clauses but that's too technical for me.:flag:

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you need the information following the word (which or that) to identify the noun, you want that.

That's the car that stalled on me.
I want the ring that I showed you.
This is the paint that matches.

If you're adding information that's not necessary, you want which. You also want a pair of commas.
The boat, which costs a year's salary, is unaffordable.
My grades, which are none of your business, were not the best.
The repair, which I got done cheaply, shows more than I like.

The first time I had a pro-level edit, she nailed me on this about a bazillion times. I learned.

Maryn, not too old for that

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you need the information following the word (which or that) to identify the noun, you want that.

That's the car that stalled on me.
I want the ring that I showed you.
This is the paint that matches.

If you're adding information that's not necessary, you want which. You also want a pair of commas.
The boat, which costs a year's salary, is unaffordable.
My grades, which are none of your business, were not the best.
The repair, which I got done cheaply, shows more than I like.

The first time I had a pro-level edit, she nailed me on this about a bazillion times. I learned.

Maryn, not too old for that

That is the best explanation I've read so far! Thanks, Maryn (Who is definitely not too old for that.:greenie)

Stormbringer

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the help. This will be a great resource and I’m sure I will be posting more questions. ��✌️

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Although the answers you have gotten have been essentially correct, in the context of your question, either one would work. Using 'which' does not automatically make the clause subordinate, as it is often used interchangeably with 'that.'

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Although the answers you have gotten have been essentially correct, in the context of your question, either one would work. Using 'which' does not automatically make the clause subordinate, as it is often used interchangeably with 'that.'

A lot of people incorrectly use “which” to avoid “that,” but that doesn’t make it correct.

In the OP’s example, the sentence with “that” means the fact that the house stands on Main Street identifies it. The “which” sentence (which needs a comma), suggests the reader already knows which house it is, & now we’re being told more info. They read completely differently.