Brown Sauce

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
What do you guys think are kind of foods that pair well with brown sauce? I've only ever ate it very recently so idk what to make of it

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of brown sauce are you talking about? The kind the British put in bottles -- HP & its type -- and use on sandwiches & things, or one of the many other brown sauces that exist in the world?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had HP before. I think it is a condiment and not a sauce like sauce espagnole (a brown, mother sauce). I probably wouldn't use it as anything other than a condiment.

I think "brown sauce" is used for HP sauce and any brands like it.

In America, we add color to things like gravy or pasta sauce.... Brown gravy (served with chicken or turkey, for example), white gravy (béhcamel), white sauce (alfredo), red sauce or gravy (marinara), whatever. I've never heard of anything referred to "brown sauce" in America. We have A1 steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce, but I've never heard of these referred to as a "brown sauce" before.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Brown sauce is a staple here in the more American-leaning Chinese food restaurants, ie: chicken w/broccoli in brown sauce (some combo of broth, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sometimes oyster sauce, sesame oil, wine, sugar).

If this type of thing is what the OP is referring to, it works with stir-fried anything and everything. When I was young and broke, I used to get rice w/brown sauce (no veggies, protein, etc). Not a recommended meal, but filling.