I just met my favorite author

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
and he has a new book out and he read from it and it's beautiful and he signed my copy and I'm fangirling so hard right now somebody please send punctuation!!!!

---

(takes a breath)

Thanks for indulging me. I'm just so excited, and of all my varied and wonderful communities, this one will understand the best. Also, I'd never been to an author event before and it was so much fun. Like, storytime for grownups. I'm going to have to go more of these, but not too many, or I won't have enough money to keep the lights on.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo!

Sounds like you had a great time!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind sharing! David Guterson. He's local to my area and every book he writes is imbued with such a sense of place—they just suck me right in and before I know it I'm pondering existence in a beautiful setting.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Wow! Meeting your favorite author. That's amazing. :D. Go head and fangirl on us! That's what we're for.

Reading this made me look up my favorite authors to see if they are still with us in the world of the living. Sadly Diana Wynne Jones passed in 2011, around the years I really got into her books. I only found out she passed via AW, so that was about a year ago.

But Jenny Nimmo is alive, but sadly (according to Google) she lives in Britain or Wales and I live in the USA. Shoot! Why is the Earth so big? I would love to get a copy of my Charlie Bone book signed and hear her talk. I would even wear my Charlie Bone hoodie. (See? We're all a little bit of a fangirl to our favorite authors)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah this is great and I am so happy for you! I’m glad it was a wonderful time!

(My favorite author has been dead for some time; I channeled my feelings about that into a short story about what it might have been like to meet her. Since she was a rather cantankerous and difficult person, writing the story was quite possibly more fun than the actual event would have been!)

:e2coffee:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Snow Falling on Cedars, famous book. I haven't read it yet but maybe I should.

:Thumbs:

That book is amazing, but my favorite is East of the Mountains. Start there if you're OK reading about death.

But Jenny Nimmo is alive, but sadly (according to Google) she lives in Britain or Wales and I live in the USA. Shoot! Why is the Earth so big? I would love to get a copy of my Charlie Bone book signed and hear her talk. I would even wear my Charlie Bone hoodie. (See? We're all a little bit of a fangirl to our favorite authors)
Hopefully someday . . . (fingers crossed).

(My favorite author has been dead for some time; I channeled my feelings about that into a short story about what it might have been like to meet her. Since she was a rather cantankerous and difficult person, writing the story was quite possibly more fun than the actual event would have been!)
That made me smile—what a fun story to write!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I don't mind sharing! David Guterson. He's local to my area and every book he writes is imbued with such a sense of place—they just suck me right in and before I know it I'm pondering existence in a beautiful setting.

Excellent writer---Very good choice! And Guterson's not so famous that he wouldn't have been flattered by your devotion.

I worked in publishing for 20 years, but I still got excited meeting some of my writing heroes. Highlights were Nadine Gordimer and Madeleine L'Engle. Lovely, both of them, which isn't always the case with great writers. Glad you got to meet yours.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say awesome! I would have some sort of stroke/non-breathing/heart attack fit if I met my favorite author!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool!

As much as I like to think I'm too cool to get star struck, when I met Dave Eggers at a book signing I was reduced to a babbling doofus. He probably questioned his worth as a writer if simpletons like me were reading his stuff (okay, probably not, but so much for not fanboying)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: Well, how cool is that - Congratz! :snoopy:

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Ah this is great and I am so happy for you! I’m glad it was a wonderful time!

Patricia Highsmith? :)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Patricia Highsmith? :)

Surely there is more than one cantankerous and difficult dead author! But, well, yes. :e2paperba
(The story is linked in my signature if you're interested)

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Surely there is more than one cantankerous and difficult dead author! But, well, yes. :e2paperba
(The story is linked in my signature if you're interested)

The Candlestick was great, Lakey. I really enjoyed it and could picture Highsmith perfectly. Did you use the main character's name from The Glass Cell?

Ed.

(P.s. thanks for the 'East of the Mountains' recommendation, Kat. I read the first bit of it on Amazon and it's now on its way)

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Did you use the main character's name from The Glass Cell?

Ha! No, that is mere coincidence. Carter is a sort of alter-ego character I have used in some stories with vaguely autobiographical elements — like Grace Paley’s recurring character Faith. Thanks for reading! :)

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
I heard a story about one of my Beta Readers from his brother. I reached out yesterday to confirm the story. He lives on the east coast and apparently formed a reading club with several friends. When it came time for him to select a book for the group he choose Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (OSC). With a little research he found out that the author lived about two hours away. On a hunch he located OSC's contact info and extended an invitation to attend their book discussion. OSC's wife actually responded to the inquiry voicing interest. Over the course of a couple weeks they worked out a schedule and OSC committed to attend. On the night of their meeting OSC showed up with a bag of M&M's to share. Needless to say, the small book club was thrilled to have Orson Scott Card attend their book discussion. He signed everyone's book, even the library book that someone had checked out to read.

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I had never heard of Patricia Highsmith, but what a fascinating person she was!

K Robert Donovan, what a heart-warming story. Thanks for sharing!

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Excellent for you, Kat! I hope to be in his shoes one day with hundreds (or thousands) of readers telling me how much they enjoy my writing. Unfortunately, my favorite author, Ian Fleming, passed away in 1964, but reading his old Bond books was a big help for me in crafting my style.