2019 Federal Elections in Canada.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, I will not impose the long stories of our candidates, political history, etc.
I just wanted to point out that, unlike the stories from the USA, where there's gerrymandering, voter disenfranchisement, trouble registering, etc., in Canada things are functioning well and progressing smoothly.
The Advance Polls (actual election day is the 21st of October) have just finished, results due out soon. After a 4 day vote-a-thon, more people than ever have voted over the weekend (including our Thanksgiving), with polls open all over the place (different locations from official Election Day polls) and from 9 in the morning to 9 at night.
And, most parties, and Elections Canada, setting up rides to the polls for those who are unable to make it on their own. My rollator and myself were driven by a nice volunteer lady, not of my own party. They are not allowed to only drive their own voters, or even inquire. Even in Manitoba, scene of massive flooding, special arrangements were made so that no voter was left behind.

There are even efforts to help the homeless vote, in spite of a previous, Conservative, Prime Minister's effort to limit the vote to people with picture ID.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elec...n-estimates/ar-AAIPAh2?li=AAggNb9&OCID=FIRPLC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...omeless-voters-election-the-current-1.5320687

It's not perfect, but we're trying!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In a break from my usual genre v litfic -

Canada or New Zealand?

Discuss.

Spoiler: both

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Félicitations, Canada!

Canada or New Zealand?

Discuss.

I've seen a lot of stuff on AW but I've never seen an international incident before.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

Canada or New Zealand?

Discuss.

Aw, thanks for the compliment, but I have to say, I do admire the Aussie traditions of sausages and other edible for voters. We get nothing but a friendly smile from a scrutineer. At which point I thank the nearest poll worker for volunteering for doing the job for all of our sakes, and we nod and back away from each other.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Félicitations, Canada!

I've seen a lot of stuff on AW but I've never seen an international incident before.
When it comes to international incidents, I don't think 'Canada vs. New Zealand' springs to anyone's mind as a major risk.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to international incidents, I don't think 'Canada vs. New Zealand' springs to anyone's mind as a major risk.

Both stormed the beaches at Normandy, so I wouldn't mess with 'em just to be safe. Be a bizarre exercise for armchair military strategists.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I was expecting some type of Russian & Chinese interference. So far there is nothing I can pinpoint as suspicious.

> I do admire the Aussie traditions of sausages and other edible for voters.

Around here the tradition is St-Hubert chicken (a famous rotisserie in Quebec) for pollsters.

-cb

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We voted as a family this weekend - my daughter for the first time. And while I didn't tell my kids how to vote, I did point out that "progressive conservative" was an oxymoron and that thanks to Doug Ford and his draconian cuts to the education system, I and three of my friends have lost their positions.

PS my 98 year old mother in law who only leaves the house for doctors appointments, made the effort to go out and vote, in part I think, to cancel my sister-in-laws choice. Way to go Nana! :D

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm glad there are countries in the world that handle their elections well.

And I'm hoping we here in the States aren't too ornery to look outside our increasingly walled estate for inspiration and the courage to change.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't. Start.

-cb
I thought that was a division of powers sort of thing? New Zealand has rugby, we have hockey, and all in all, we were pretty evenly matched. Although, we are crap at hakas. Drunken hockey songs just cannot compete. Not even Stompin' Tom.

Other than that, we are both peace loving, prosperous countries who try to mind our own businesses, and not invade other people. (Except for our respective histories with our respective original inhabitants.)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Other than that, we are both peace loving, prosperous countries who try to mind our own businesses, and not invade other people. (Except for our respective histories with our respective original inhabitants.)

There was that time you guys burnt down the White House. Are you up for that again? Because you'd have a lot of support.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
There was that time you guys burnt down the White House. Are you up for that again? Because you'd have a lot of support.

Tempting as that may be, I'm horrified at the potential monstrosity Drumpf would put in its place if we haven't kicked him out yet. :-/

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I’m in Canada at the moment and i’ve got to say it’s refreshing how ... sedate it all is over here. Half of my Canadian relatives are staffing polling places, but just like for our election, everyone I’ve met has already voted. Minds have been made up, it seems.

I do like the political signs. Just a name and a colour. No slogans. No smiling faces. Someone told me that the only difference is that the Green posters are recyclable.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
(My rellies are all rusted on NDP supporters in deepest blue rural Alberta. I think I’ve ONLY seen Conservative signs here, except in Calgary where there might have been one Green sign.)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Where in Alberta? I have a sister near Grande Prairie. They all seem to be deeply Conservative. Even when their own Preston Manning formed the 'Reform Party', they managed (with Stephen Harper's connivance) to turn it into the Conservative Party.
That Green sign in Calgary was probably on the candidate's own lawn.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
It's always interesting to see how other democracies vote. A 4-day vote-a-thon? Hard to imagine that here.

Recyclable green posters? Aww, cute.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Where in Alberta? I have a sister near Grande Prairie. They all seem to be deeply Conservative. Even when their own Preston Manning formed the 'Reform Party', they managed (with Stephen Harper's connivance) to turn it into the Conservative Party.
That Green sign in Calgary was probably on the candidate's own lawn.
Southern Alberta, near Lethbridge. They were all originally transplants from the Eastern provinces, I suppose dragging Alberta slowly orange with time. Close to the Blackfoot lands there, which makes me wonder how they vote.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Southern Alberta, near Lethbridge. They were all originally transplants from the Eastern provinces, I suppose dragging Alberta slowly orange with time. Close to the Blackfoot lands there, which makes me wonder how they vote.
Well, farmers tend to run conservative in any case. As to the Blackfoot peoples, they may vote CPP, because of the 'immigrants go home!' platform. All the immigrants, back to the beginning. Not quite what Bernier has in mind, but hey, give the voters what they want.