Some Lighthearted Fun, Anyone? The Rock 'n Roll Hall Noms Are In

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It's a great list. Who's your favorite? Top 3?

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T.Rex
Thin Lizzy

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my friends are close friends of Chaka Khan so this is going to be a long three months. I will be urged to vote for her by text, email, phone, in-person plea, and social media every single day. It's her fourth time, apparently, so I've been through this before.

It is a good list.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Kraftwerk: Revolutionary band. Unofficially credited for creating techno music (with their song Numbers).
Def Leppard: Monster successful band.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan: Ain't Nobody, great song. I think it was a reference to drug use.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Biggie, T Rex, and Kraftwerk are my picks. Also got a soft spot for Soundgarden.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
My top 4 are probably Pat, Whitney, Judas Priest, and Biggie. I can't narrow it down more than that. Kinda surprised Dave Matthews Band isn't already in the HOF. Not my top pick, but I know how big they are.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Also, my current user title is from a Motörhead song, and MC5 is awesome. Plus Thin Lizzie & NIN. Guh, it's getting harder to pick!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
* Doobie Brothers

* Whitney

* Rufus (featuring the amazing Chaka Khan)

They definitely get my vote - Lurved 'em back in the day! (not listed in any particular order)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Pat Benatar, Chaka Khan, and yes, Doobage.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FINALLY Pat Benatar

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm always amazed by the artists that haven't already been voted in.

I'll confess to being unsure how this works. Do they only pick one from the list each year, or do more typically get inducted?

They're not my favorite on the list, but I'd probably go for the Doobie Brothers, because of their sheer staying power. Or T Rex for their classic influence. But given the way female artists are so underrepresented, I'd be very happy to see Pat Benatar or Whitney Houston too.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see Pat Benatar, Thin Lizzy and Soundgarden go in. Or The Doobie Brothers and Todd Rundgren.

While I understand Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, The Notorious B.I.G. and Whitney House fit the "roll" part while the others make up the "rock" portion of the Hall of Fame, my own criteria for inclusion is a little simpler.

Did you play rock n' roll? If so, then you deserve consideration for the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Did you influence rock n' roll? If so, then you deserve consideration for the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. :e2headban

Therefore, I'm not inducting Biggie, Chaka or Whitney before Living Colour, Bad Brains, or Fishbone get in. That's just me, but I'm cool with being off alone in the corner by myself.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've never been super clear on why they pass over some who are incredibly popular and/or influential for so long but not others. I don't think I fully understand their process or criteria at all. Is it simple popularity that moves their needle, or influence, or originality, or something else?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've never been super clear on why they pass over some who are incredibly popular and/or influential for so long but not others. I don't think I fully understand their process or criteria at all. Is it simple popularity that moves their needle, or influence, or originality, or something else?

Well, it turns out that one element is a fan vote. I did not know that before today, but interested fans can register, then vote once a day for their favorites. As of today when I took a look, the top 5 in Fan Voting are:

1. Pat Benetar

2. The Doobie Bros

3. Soundgarden

4. Judas Priest

5. Depeche Mode

The Leaderboard is here for those interested.