Poor work ethic has dampened my project

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I realize not everyone has the same work ethic as me. I spent years researching my topic and making sure my bibliography was accurate and supported the information in my picture book. I supplied the illustrator with accurate historical depictions to "inspire" her creativity (was never told to do this but figured since I did all of this research SHARE it). When the publisher forwarded me her illustrations there were HUGE discrepancies in the drawings ranging with images from late 1800's to 1958. The story is based in the late 19th century NOT the 20th century. It's like she drew whatever she felt like without doing ANY research or referencing the research I sent her. She even gave characters nationalities that's not in my book or in the region I'm writing about. :Shrug:

I know most illustrators thoroughly research their topics because they consider themselves professionals and most authors don't supply historical pictures for the artist yet even after doing all of this I'm somewhat speechless at her interpretation/ laziness. Not to mention I found one of the pictures she "illustrated" online almost IDENTICAL to the image she submitted. When I questioned her about it she admitted she copied the image but removed the two men in the corner:rolleyes:rolleyes. I have no idea who drew/painted the image she found online nor why she would do such a thing. I've called and forwarded this information to the editor who made a "hmmm" sound on the telephone upon examining the online image and the illustrator image. The editor asked if I feared plagiarism (um, yeah) then stated they would "investigate".

Then the editor sends me several illustrations that don't even match the text I've written asking how I feel about it. I'M trying not to let this get to me. The real kicker is the illustrator "drew" numerous back shots of the main character and when I questioned not seeing the MC face for the majority of the book yelled, "the face is HARD to draw!" Then she ranted that she was a "real artist and not an illustrator."

I'm not looking for advice just venting. I've already been told by family to tell the publisher I no longer want to work with her. She even told me that was an option since I want the face shown it will take her longer so either wait several months for her to draw a face or go with someone else.

Because of the years of hard work that has gone into the project I'm trying not to go there. I must admit to feeling burned because I personally recommended this "artist" since she told me she wanted desperately to do a children's book and her portfolio had historical characters WITH faces. This project is my baby - 10+ years in the making. It's due to be published in 2020 yet here I am regretting ever agreeing to work with this person. I guess if there's any advice to be had it's to not recommend people that appear overly eager because they may have a poor work ethic like this so called "artist."

Please don't quote this message.

Have any of you had a bad experience with an illustrator? I look forward to your responses.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had any such experiences myself, fortunately, but your story reminds me about how one paperback edition of "The Hobbit" used a bizarre picture on the front cover featuring things like emus. Tolkien rang up the publishers to protest such inaccurate cover art, only to be told by the person at the other end that the artist hadn't had time to read the book.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had any such experiences myself, fortunately, but your story reminds me about how one paperback edition of "The Hobbit" used a bizarre picture on the front cover featuring things like emus. Tolkien rang up the publishers to protest such inaccurate cover art, only to be told by the person at the other end that the artist hadn't had time to read the book.
Wow talk about unprofessional. The only good side to this is I'm finding I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
No experience as I'm barely published, but wanted to just say hang in there. And I'm glad you were diligent about the images. Are you self publishing? Because really the editor should've caught the time period issues. I'm hoping they can find you someone who knows what they're doing.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
No experience as I'm barely published, but wanted to just say hang in there. And I'm glad you were diligent about the images. Are you self publishing? Because really the editor should've caught the time period issues. I'm hoping they can find you someone who knows what they're doing.

My publisher is a regional small agency. I think they put most of the work load on the writer and serve as a last check. Thanks for your encouragement.