Inspirational Characters

Flamingflowerz

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever "modeled" one of their characters after an existing character? Or do you think it's bad practice? Say you want to have an awkward bookworm type character, so you analyze Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon, or another fitting character. Where do you think the line between drawing inspiration and being outright lazy is?

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
I've found that many of my favorite stories and characters started as complete ripoffs. Over time changes were made, one tweak here another tweak here, and eventually it took on a life of itself. There's always a concern with being derivative but look at Hollywood and it's long history of remakes, reboots, adapted from and inspired by. Sad to say, but orgignallity isn't as prevalent as we've been led to believe. Many of the most celebrated creators, such as Michelangelo and Shakespeare, ripped off much of their work

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think having a bookworm is modeling the character (unless multiple likenesses are used).

For me, to create original characters, I start with setting (before creating characters and plots). I just created a magic items database (think of horcruxes in Harry Potter). In it, I have 60 items. They are found in varying locations. They were created by various characters. They are owned by other characters. From the locations they are kept, who owns them, the mini quests or subplots needed to find them, and so on, I can create the characters I need to develop plot. I know the items are either harmful or helpful to the MC. I can develop my MC and my side characters, as well as monsters or other antagonistic forces preventing them from getting the items.

My characters fall in standard roles, such as: anti-hero; hero; antagonist; love interest; gatekeeper; and so on. However, I can develop unique attributes and quirks that suit the items owned, created, sought after, and so on.

As per the question, no; I have not modeled any of my characters after existing characters. I may develop them from inspiration, but not modeled a character with multiple likenesses of existing characters.

I'm a believer in making things original to where people will want to explore your interpretation of familiar things (settings, magic, other).

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
If you're into archetypes and such, there are no truly original characters, so... you're probably fine. ;)

Flamingflowerz

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're the first person I've ever heard from who says they've created the setting before the plot or characters (I'm probably showing my inexperience by saying that, ha)!

Your database sounds super interesting... how long did it take you to complete those 60 items, along with who created/owns them?

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're the first person I've ever heard from who says they've created the setting before the plot or characters (I'm probably showing my inexperience by saying that, ha)!

Your database sounds super interesting... how long did it take you to complete those 60 items, along with who created/owns them?

By owns, I meant the characters, in the projects, who own/possess the items. Often these characters are different from the characters who made these items (because they are so old, lost for so long, whatever).

I finished it last night. It's at an even 100 items. These are items that will serve many tasks: plot / mini quest, subplots, clues, solves for problems, accidental discovery and use to show the dangers these things possess, and so forth.

It took me 3 days for the first 60. I finished the balance yesterday. The first 30 were easy to make. I had to get creative and data mine earlier I.P. to get the rest. I went as far as searching "things found in nature." Whichever ones I thought were good, I'd slap a GRE vocabulary word as an adjective (and this worked very well).

I have such a vast collection of asset databases, I created the majority from them. If I had to do it from scratch, it would have taken longer.

Tolkein did this (LOTR). Rowling did a lot of this for Harry Potter. George Lucas had to do a lot of this before writing the first Star Wars movie.

Last edited:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
As Stych said, there really are no original characters. The character you're modeling after was also modeled after someone. You found a foundation to build on; now your job as a creative writing is to do something new with what is old.