• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Novel vs Short story

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Is it ok to turn a short story into a novel scene, or a novel scene into a short story? (Note - the two will not be identical, just close enough. I think a scene turned short story in a magazine is something more seen, as a promotion for the novel in progress).

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
A short story is a complete story (e.g. has all components of a 3-Act structure).

A scene is a sequence of narrative and/or dialogue to complete a task (e.g. plot point / event in a story). Not a complete story.

I'm not sure how one would turn a complete short story into a novel scene. Even if it was a subplot, it would consist of many scenes.

Maybe I completely misconstrued the question. Might you mean a novel scene as a chapter of a novel?

Last edited:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
My novel is a novel-in-stories; it began as a one-off short story that stands on its own. And then I found I had more to write about the character and setting. Each "chapter" in the novel-in-stories can stand on its own (and 10 have been published), yet there is an arc, and the characters grow and change over the 40 years the tales cover. It now stands at 88,000 words with 24 "chapters."

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're talking about.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I love all your replies! A part of my first published short stories collection is, as Paul Lamb described it, a sort of a small novel in stories, as the short stories in the first part of the volume, titled THE MERCENARY'S FATE, are connected between them. The unconnected ones form a second part of the volume, titled OTHER DESTINIES. Of course, the volume is titled The mercenary's fate and other destinies.

I agree with Brightdreamer too. Sometimes, it happens to me too.

As for Enlightened, yes, a short story can become a novel chapter, but a bit worked on, not exactly as such.