Hello fellow writers!

Lit.Lass

Registered
Reaction score
I am a writer. That goes without saying... I’m here hoping to connect to likeminded folk who I can turn to when I need support (instead of leaning on my non-writer SO).

I’m also excited to offer my own support in any way I can!

A few of the books I’ve read this year:

• Carmilla
  • Dracula
  • The Handmaid’s Tale
  • A Song of Ice and Fire (those volumes which are already published)
  • The Accursed Kings Series (all but the last volume which I DNF because it's weirdly terrible)
  • Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing
  • The Elephant in the Brain
  • Aegypt: The Solitudes
  • Atomic Habits
  • Deep Work
  • Wild Seed
  • The Southern Reach Trilogy

My non-writing hobbies:

• Knit/crochet
  • Bullet journaling (does this count as a hobby?)
  • Painting my nails

A little bit more about my writerly history:

I wrote a lot as a child and an adolescent but then—like a lot of people—got stuck.

For over a decade I wrote very little fiction. I’d occasionally get a bee in my bonnet and write 30-100 pages on a single project before abandoning it. It wouldn’t be fair to say I wasn’t writing at all in during this period. I just wasn’t writing fiction. I got a Literature degree, took a day job as a writer and ghostwriter (in a non-literary, corporate context), and eventually advanced to the position of editor (in the same corporate context).

Last year when I got the itch to start a paranormal novel. I committed to it and, somehow, I made it all the way to the end. I piggybacked on the momentum to start another project—a high fantasy novel—which I finished a draft of earlier this year.

I’m now rewriting the first project. I’m almost halfway through a second draft.

So far these projects are in their early stages and I'm not ready to let them out into the world. But I’m looking forward to a day when I’ll have a draft worth sending around for criticisms and feedback. In the meantime, I’m focused on the simple pleasure of putting words on paper and of meeting my humble daily writing goals.

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Knitting while listening to audiobooks is one of my favourite things :)
You have quite the eclectic taste in literature (added a couple titles to my list)
Congrats on finishing your drafts, and good luck! :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, LitLass.

Nice introduction. AWers can take away significant highlights without a sales pitch.

We're all keen on selling our stories, but getting to know folks first is the way to go.

Way to go! :greenie

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Litlass. :Hug2: :welcome:.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Lit.Lass. You'll find something for all your interests on this board. Glad to see another person for whom "lit" mean literature, not on fire.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Lit.Lass

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome! This seems like a lovely little corner of the internet. :)

Thank you regdog for all the useful info.

Chronodendron, I do like to mix things up. :) I hope you like whichever books you added to your list!

(It's been so long since I was active on this style of forum that it might take me a bit just to wrap my head around all the formatting tools and such.)