Can I use other people's animated characters with permission?

Pinkarray

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a crossover script and I'm thinking about using animated characters that have already been made by other people. But I don't know if it's better for me to use them as cameos/references or is it possible that I could use them as main characters if I get permission.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Can I use other people's animated characters with permission?
Answering your more simple subject line question, well sure, if you have clear permission from the legal owner you can use anything.

I am writing a crossover script and I'm thinking about using animated characters that have already been made by other people. But I don't know if it's better for me to use them as cameos/references or is it possible that I could use them as main characters if I get permission.
I'd certainly apply for permission first. But if I couldn't obtain this, then I'd regard the characters as reference-only and make my own, better, characters.

Shrug, just my thoughts. Nothing you didn't already think of yourself, I'm sure.

-Derek

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Derek on all points, particularly in making my own, better characters. The strategic question I ask in these cases is what is added by using the actual tie-in character versus a new one? There could be very good reasons for using the other one, don't get me wrong. I just think as the writer I need to be able to answer that question.

Kevin_C_Vang

Banned
Reaction score
You need a lawyer, a contract (the price is high), and the one who you are asking to sign your contract. It's expensive. Basically, two contracts. One is yours and the other is theirs. If you get a lawyer who just sucks and never bites to defend you, then good luck. Cheap lawyers are wusses in courts! To get a good lawyer, you need 300K bucks to shove two fingers into their mouths so that they can protect you. Good luck with that!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me, Kevin? I find that offensive. Mr. Maryn is an attorney. We have members who are attorneys.

If you've had a bad experience with an attorney, I'm sorry. That doesn't mean all attorneys are bad. The advice you're giving about two contracts is incorrect, for the US market at least, and therefore not helpful.

Maryn, displeased