Hello from an excited amateur writer

Stormbringer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m here hoping to meet some like minded people who enjoy reading and writing as much as I do. I’m a part time writer who has actually finished my first novel ( first of a trilogy actually). I love sci fi and fantasy and historical fiction and nonfiction alike. Some of my favorite authors include but are not limited to Philip k. Dick, Joe Abercrombie, George R.R. Martin, Bernard cornwell. The list goes on. I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s submissions but I’ll admit I’m a little gun shy when it comes to critiquing. I guess I just feel I need more help than I can give most of the time but I will definitely do my best. Anyway, feel free to say hey I’ll be checking in as much as I can as I’m trying to stay on track in the task of finishing my longer than anticipated story and inspiration always helps! cheers everyone!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stormbringer! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat.

This is a wonderful forum, and as you seem to like a wide variety of genres, I'm not even going to throw you some links to subfora like I usually do. I think you'll enjoy exploring, and our lovely mod regdog will be by shortly with the links you really need.

Fair warning, you're about to get 20 variations on "You should crit anyway, since you read, and it will make you a better writer because you're thinking critically about writing."

And here's variation 1 for you: I've been in the same boat—still am, really. I am still a beginner at craft and don't have experience doing more than word vomiting. But this is how I think about it: You clearly read a lot. So you know what works for you as a reader and what doesn't. Go in as a reader. It can be valuable to say "This part worked for me and this part didn't." Then think about why that might be, and if you are sure, add that. If you're not sure, there's no shame in saying, "This isn't working for me, but I'm not sure why." It's often helpful to hear that something doesn't work because it's extra data. Was this just one reader's pet peeve, or a consensus opinion?

Enjoy your time on the boards! :)

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Congratulations on finishing your first novel! What's it about?
You came to the right place to find like-minded people. :)
I don't think critiquing is mandatory to be part of the community. There are many other ways to participate and help each other.
Good luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Stormbringer

Registered
Reaction score
I would describe it as a gothic fantasy with dark imagery and morally ambiguous characters. It’s the first in what I’m thinking will be a trilogy. I’m hoping this community will help keep me on track as far as writing. I used to go to legend fire but that no longer exists. Anyway, thanks for saying hi. I’m sure I will see u around in here. 🙂

PointlessAlibi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not new here but finally after 2 years, made my first post today, but I feel like I should welcome you here! I hope this forum provides you with everything you are looking for and the support given to you isn't too much of a nuisance, lol.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Stormbringer. Congrats on finishing your first novel. I myself have indeed finished the first of my works and came to this site to potentially meet beta readers and critique partners. Perhaps we came be of help to one another;) I'm also rather new around here and am still feeling my way around. Anywho, keep working on that story.

bigbluepencil

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stormbringer. Congratulations on finishing your first novel! That's huge! And welcome. :)

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, and let me add my name to those saying congrats on the first novel!

I will also add my name to those saying that critiquing will help you become a better writer. That said, for those of us still getting a feel for things, even the word 'critique' sounds a little pointy, like it'll be harmful if we don't really feel confident in wielding it. Instead, maybe think of it as 'feedback', or even 'commenting'. It's surprising how much you start to pick up about writing for your own projects just by reading other excerpts and finding what held your interest, and what didn't.

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
Don't be shy. I think most of us are just happy to have the attention. 'Grats on finishing your first!

jjhoward

Purveyor of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Congratulations on getting your first book done! That's a huge step in the write direction. (Bad pun but true.)

I look forward to reading your work and wish you the very best of luck in your future endeavors.