So, I've lost my reading glasses

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
which are also my writing glasses and now I have a reading/writing headache.

Has anyone seen them?

I asked Twitter, but they didn't know and facebook is just ignoring me.

:cry:

ETA: Also, I dropped my computer on the ground, and guess what it BROKE.

This is a terrible day.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
On behalf of all Australian optometrists, please allow me to use your misfortune as a teaching moment as to why one should always have a good backup pair of your most-needed specs.

*slaps mccardey's wrist*

But ack about the computer. That's terrible luck. :(

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
To be fair, they weren't my most-needed specs until I lost them.

:ROFL:

My definition is usually: "It's a pair where you'd be really screwed if anything happened to them." Objectively, that usually means someone's driving specs (for safety on the roads), but reading specs totally count when one is ... yanno ... a writer and reader.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

My definition is usually: "It's a pair where you'd be really screwed if anything happened to them." Objectively, that usually means someone's driving specs (for safety on the roads), but reading specs totally count when one is ... yanno ... a writer and reader.

One of the many problems with U.S. health care:

• I pay for vision insurance. It's decent insurance. It covers new lenses every year, and new frames every other year, with certain limitations.
  • I routinely use three different pairs of prescription glasses, because my eyes are that messed up.
    • One pair for reading and writing, assuming a heavily adapted computer, and/or a magnifier for lots of printed text.
    • One pair for walking around in places like the grocery store, where I need to both read signs at a distance, and read signs a few inches away. I can't read small print label copy, but I can read large labels ok. And I can take the glasses off and hold the box/can close to read small copy.
    • One pair for distance; for instance for being driven in a car and looking at scenery, and helping with navigation, or sitting on the couch and looking at the bird feeders c. 20 feet away.
  • Each pair of glasses is over $300.00 after the insurance, and re-using old frames to save on frame costs.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
+1 on backups being prohibitively expensive for many of us; my "backup pair" is my previous set of glasses. (I do, however, indulge in prescription sunglasses, which could technically function as backups.)

From family experience (Mom and Dad wear reading glasses after cataract surgery), the most common hiding places for glasses are: the bathroom, the kitchen, the bedroom, and in one's hand while searching the bathroom and kitchen and bedroom for one's glasses.

Though, given your luck at the moment with the computer, maybe it's best the glasses stay hidden for a while...

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I know this goes without saying, but ugh US health costs are ridiculous.

Fwiw, brightdreamer, "a previous pair that still generally works okay" is an absolutely perfect backup. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the most common hiding places for glasses are: the bathroom, the kitchen, the bedroom, and in one's hand while searching the bathroom and kitchen and bedroom for one's glasses.

And there I was going ahahahahahahhhh hang on - and it suddenly occured to me to look in my glasses case in my glasses drawer next to my book case. AND GUESS WHAT???? They were THERE!!!!

Now can you send your mum and dad to fix my computer?

I FOUND MY GLASSES!!! YAYYYY!!! :hooray:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Yanno, the very last place I ever look for somethin' is where it's supposed to be and, lo and behold, that's where it is.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Yanno, the very last place I ever look for somethin' is where it's supposed to be and, lo and behold, that's where it is.
It's because I had babies visiting on the weekend, and I must have accidentally put things away before they came. To be fair, they were very nice babies. They're on my facebook, now :)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
And there I was going ahahahahahahhhh hang on - and it suddenly occured to me to look in my glasses case in my glasses drawer next to my book case. AND GUESS WHAT???? They were THERE!!!!

*face-palm*

(But yay!)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
At least you didn't lose them, and then discover then on the top of your head like some of us do...but not incriminating myself at all there :e2coffee:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least you didn't lose them, and then discover then on the top of your head like some of us do...but not incriminating myself at all there :e2coffee:
That happens to me more often these days.

I have a dozen pairs of reading glasses around here, all very inexpensive right from the drugstore.

My problem now is that my eyes no longer require the same correction. And worse, my right eye isn't well corrected even with this prescription. And then there is the problem my eyes change during the day.

I need more pairs: morning, noon, night, book distance, computer screen distance and everything else distance. I am going to see a different optometrist next time to see if I get a better result.

Medicare is great, I can get a new exam and nice glasses once a year, no charge.

Bummer about the computer, McCardey. Could be an excuse to get an upgrade. :)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
remember that drawer full of eyeglasses that Fred Sanford used to sort through when he needed to read something? I have drawers like that--and not just for reading glasses. One drawer is can openers only. Like the reading glasses, of the eight or nine can openers, only two actually work but I keep all of them because I don't want to risk throwing away one that works.

It is vanity that keeps my drawer of eyeglasses. I am 69 years old and still can pass the drivers vision test. I don't wear glasses or contacts, but I do need help with fine print so as I paw through my eyeglass depository, I always point out that these are only reading glasses. Why so many? I keep losing them and buying new ones. In Spanish I would say they lose themselves to me. Not my fault, their damn fault.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

That's because they moved there. Yep. That's it. They hid themselves, then moved there.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
That's because they moved there. Yep. That's it. They hid themselves, then moved there.

Is that what it is? I swear someone around here is moving stuff around and the spouse swears it isn't him. Maybe stuff does just up and move on its own. I'll be darned.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found your glasses, mccardey.

I wear contacts, and am old enough to need readers as well. However, the readers were a pain when I was on script at auditions and rehearsals. My optometrist put me into a prescription where one lens is slightly too strong (for distance) and the other slightly too weak (for closeup), and while my vision's not ideal, it eliminated the need for readers. Then I got a new (big) desktop monitor and found that the contact lenses were tiring to wear in that situation. An older, weaker pair of prescription glasses eliminated that problem - but they broke a couple of months back. So now when I'm at the computer I alternate between wearing the contacts until my eyes are fatigued, then switching to my current glasses which are too strong, which means I end up having to wear them tilted and as far down my nose as possible - also fatiguing.

I haven't had any luck finding anyone who's willing to pull the prescription from the busted glasses and make me a new pair. I know they're out there somewhere.

I don't mind the other aches and pains of getting older but the eyesight issues really piss me off.

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score

I have managed to lose my glasses while I was wearing them on my face. Losing them on the top of my head would probably be an improvement. :rolleyes

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked the chicken coop? I understand those buggers can be devious.

First place I looked.

Actually - my phone is often up with the chooks. I think (per Admin) they sneak in when I'm not looking, and take it out there to check their emails...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First place I looked.

Actually - my phone is often up with the chooks. I think (per Admin) they sneak in when I'm not looking, and take it out there to check their emails...

Why are you screening their emails? Is this a teenage chook thing?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you screening their emails? Is this a teenage chook thing?
It's not so much that I screen their emails - it's more that they glom on my service. I'd get them their own, but they are so irresponsible about payments. Everything's chickenfeed to them ...

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of glasses, my progressives needed an update and this new eye doctor, no joke, looks almost identical to Doogie Howser! Smart kid though - was going over the essentials of the eye anatomy, and quickly picked up that I'ma tech guy, so, he said:

• The optic nerve is like an HDMI cable
  • The back of your eye is like a wallpaper of fibers that has strands spread all across the wall
  • Each fiber receives different types of data to shoot out the HDMI connection to your brain for interpretation.
  • The clear part of your eye is like a concave lens in a camera, and just like a lens in a camera, it can be replaced with an artificial lens. It's avascular, which means it does not connect to the bloodstream, but if it gets cracked or cloudy over time (normal), we perform a surgery to remove those imperfections, called cataracts, or the entire lens if needed.

Brilliant! Kids like that make me feel better for the future! :)