Feedback on my cover...?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

Excited to have draft one of my cover from the artist. I don't want to post it here (and maybe this should be in the artwork forum anyway?) but I'd love if any of you (wonderful and experienced) self-publishers (or people who just have a good sense for cover art) would give me feedback on it through g - mail.

I think the balance and the fonts need to be tweaked. I think a few elements need to be emphasized and other elements de-emphasized. but I'm afraid I will 'get it wrong' and am looking for a little moral support.

If you'd be willing to look at it in email, can you let me know here or in PM?

I hope this is OK to post. I feel like I'm doing this wrong.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Pia--and to the replies through PM--there was great consensus on what should be tweaked and the artist is now doing the first revision.

He'll do up to four revisions, so when I have the next iteration I'll probably ask for feedback again...

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a third iteration on the cover. If anyone's interested in putting fresh eyes on it, please shoot me a DM.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Indian Roads--I had a professional do it. You had given me the name of your guy at one point, but he declined--too busy? Who knows. Anyway, I really liked the cover for Song of Blood and Stone so I checked out Bookfly's covers and got in touch with them. They also did The Martian, and some other titles you've probably heard of.

The wait was 6 months but that was OK since I wanted to submit to presses last spring. I got on the list and Bookfly started a few weeks ago and has now finished the front cover (I approved it) and they are working around the spine and back (which is why I've been re-checking the blurb.)

About a half dozen folks gave feedback and it all was consistent--and it all agreed with my own leanings--but I didn't ever post the image online. We worked through gmail.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Hi Indian Roads--I had a professional do it. You had given me the name of your guy at one point, but he declined--too busy? Who knows. Anyway, I really liked the cover for Song of Blood and Stone so I checked out Bookfly's covers and got in touch with them. They also did The Martian, and some other titles you've probably heard of.

The wait was 6 months but that was OK since I wanted to submit to presses last spring. I got on the list and Bookfly started a few weeks ago and has now finished the front cover (I approved it) and they are working around the spine and back (which is why I've been re-checking the blurb.)

About a half dozen folks gave feedback and it all was consistent--and it all agreed with my own leanings--but I didn't ever post the image online. We worked through gmail.

Yeah - Jake (my cover designer) is booked up far in advance, I found him on Reedsy, and they have a lot of other designers, editors, etc. that offer their services.

Have you put your cover down in the forum: Art & Design / Designing Book Covers I'll give it a look if it's there.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Nah--Thanks, it's done (except for the back), so any feedback now would be counterproductive. But I'll post it when I've published!! Eeek!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my cover--and I'm just about to put together a post announcing my book is live on Amazon... woot woot!!! Very exciting weekend here.

HU6xlcI.png

:):hooray::Hug2::Sun::partyguy:

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a spiffy cover!! Happy release day!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
omg Patty that looks wonderful!!! Congrats!!!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks good. I get the 'clairvoyant' or 'atmosphere sensing' aspect clearly from that.

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
That cover works for your story, very nice.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, that is *actually* what carbon dioxide looks like. Ya know???

:e2coffee: :foilhat: :D

Thanks for the affirmations! :Hug2: