An offer at last!! But...

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to post quick a follow-up and thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. After a lot of hard thought and soul searching, I decided to go with neither agent.

With Agent #1 who said she wouldn't be able to do anything with my novel for at least a year, I couldn't mentally get past the worry that she would still not have time in a year and since she is still open to and accepting queries, the worry too that in the meantime she'd take on some other, more important and time-demanding, project. Maybe a year is nothing in the publishing world, but I couldn't shake the feeling I wouldn't be so much on a back burner as not on a burner at all. So I sent her a polite email stating that I was flattered by her interest but I decided to go in another direction with my manuscript. As I expected, I received no reply.

With Agent #2 who got defensive when I asked about her sales in my genre, it was a somewhat easier decision. I sent her basically the same email and my initial red flags were confirmed when she replied that she was glad of my decision because she didn't want to work with someone who questioned her judgement "at every turn" (uh...I didn't do that). She went on to say books are books regardless of genre and she can sell books, period.

I'm a little...I don't know what by this experience. Disillusioned. Disappointed. Discouraged. I've had 15 requests for my novel, 2 R&R's, and still have three fulls out (all past the 6 month mark and initial nudges have been ignored) and multiple queries. I'm starting to think it's never going to happen for me and remind myself of the definition of insanity. But then I think, on the hand I DID get two offers, maybe not good ones, but something nonetheless and a lot more than many people.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Tarley: You've had 2 R&Rs and several full requests. That means you have the writing chops to succeed. Don't let despondency make you think you're nuts to continue...unless you'd really rather be doing something else.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal, who could nearly wallpaper the Taj Mahal with all the rejections she got before book #2 was published.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god. I think you made the right decision, and I'm so sorry you were in this situation to begin with. Agent #1...I mean, how could she possibly remain open to queries, knowing that she doesn't have the time to spend on new clients?? That sounds so unethical to me. And to offer representation and then expect you to put your writing career on pause for a whole year...that just blows my mind. It would have me running for the hills for sure.

Agent #2 is no better. I was back in the trenches for a bit and when I talked to agents who didn't have many sales listed on PM, I asked them the same questions: Do they know editors in my genre? Can they reassure me that they can indeed sell in that genre? And they all responded very openly and gave me reasons why they're confident that they can sell in my genre. None of them got shirty with their replies, and if any did, it would've been a huge red flag. What she said about "books are books regardless of genre" is absolute BS. Years ago, I was repped by a London-based agency that was great at selling women's fiction, but couldn't sell any YA. Having contacts in one genre or age category doesn't mean they'll have contacts in others. Also, you want an agent you feel comfortable asking questions. It's supposed to be a partnership.

Please don't give up. 15 requests and 2 R&Rs are great stats. You've just had bad luck with agents, but I think the fact that a big agent was interested enough to offer rep is a great sign. Keep going, you'll get there.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Tarley, please believe me that most agents are reasonable, kind people who do their best for their clients. Reputable agents just don't behave like #2, and most agents are excited to pitch new works and won't want to put it on the backburner for a year.

Please keep going. You will find one of the many good eggs!

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Tarley: :Hug2:

You've had a rough road, no question about that. A lot of people can sympathize.

As others have said, the level of interest you've garnered is a positive sign that you have something that piques the interest of agents. The ones who got back to you here just weren't the right fit, and, yes, absolutely, no agent is better than a bad agent. Be assured that that is true, and I think you made a difficult choice that was the right one in the end. Things probably seems fairly bleak at the moment, but there are more agents out there. This is a sign of the industry's wackiness, I think, and you got an unusually high does of it. I like to think a great ms will win out in the end, though. But it definitely won't if you stop now.

Good luck!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
With Agent #2 who got defensive when I asked about her sales in my genre, it was a somewhat easier decision. I sent her basically the same email and my initial red flags were confirmed when she replied that she was glad of my decision because she didn't want to work with someone who questioned her judgement "at every turn" (uh...I didn't do that). She went on to say books are books regardless of genre and she can sell books, period.

My mouth literally dropped open reading this. You dodged a huge bullet with this one.

I'm sorry you've had these experiences, but look at it this way -- every writer should have a few "writer's life" stories they can use to commiserate with other writers over. You can file this one under "agent horror stories." Chin up, you're doing fine!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You're not obligated to, of course, but I would ask you to please post on the agency thread if there is one for Agent #2, or make one if there's not. That sort of behavior is unacceptable and unconscionable for a proper agent, and I'd hate for people to waste their time submitting to them and get their hopes up. AW is for putting experiences like that in the open so newbies in the trenches can make the best decisions for them. Sharing who that experience was with can save some others heartbreak at least and dead novels at most.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You're not obligated to, of course, but I would ask you to please post on the agency thread if there is one for Agent #2, or make one if there's not. That sort of behavior is unacceptable and unconscionable for a proper agent, and I'd hate for people to waste their time submitting to them and get their hopes up. AW is for putting experiences like that in the open so newbies in the trenches can make the best decisions for them. Sharing who that experience was with can save some others heartbreak at least and dead novels at most.

A note about Agent #1 would be good too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

This, assuming you feel sufficiently anonymous.

There's little enough data on agents as it is, and most of that data is about where they've sold and how long they've been in the business. Those are important things, sure; but in isolation they don't really mean much.

Also - I know how hard it must have been to turn both agents down, but from what you've said it sounds like you 100% made the right choice. You took care of your work and your business, and I hope you'll look back on this someday and be proud of yourself.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I sent her basically the same email and my initial red flags were confirmed when she replied that she was glad of my decision because she didn't want to work with someone who questioned her judgement "at every turn" (uh...I didn't do that). She went on to say books are books regardless of genre and she can sell books, period.

Well. That's just awful and unprofessional in every way. I'm sorry your experience ended this way, but you clearly made the correct decision. :heart: You obviously also have what it takes if there's been so much interest in your book.

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
You obviously also have what it takes if there's been so much interest in your book.

I keep telling myself that but I'm honestly feeling a bit battered and bruised. With this manuscript I have also had an R&R I totally mucked up, another R&R that I diligently spent months on determined not the repeat the same mistakes only for that agent to never respond back after I sent it (she did confirm receipt), and an agent tell me she was "in love" with my manuscript and would "be in touch next week to discuss" and then sent a "dear author" form rejection. Currently, I have a full out with another agent who sends a "still reading" email every few months...and its been nearly a year.

When, or I should say if, it ever does actually happen for me, I certainly will have earned it!

Last edited:

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
This, assuming you feel sufficiently anonymous.

Just wanted to add why I'm not posting this on agents/agency threads. I worry. A lot. Even posting here has me worried. Maybe it's unfounded or paranoid but I know agents talk and move to other agencies. Even though I 100% think some of this was unprofessional, I plan on querying another manuscript soon and don't want to be somehow blackballed because of this.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Genuine good-guy agents won't blackball you for reporting the unprofessional behavior of their so-called colleagues. Though I do understand why you don't want to.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal