macOS Catalina and Scrivener

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're a macOS user and rely on Scrivener, you might want to wait a bit to upgrade.

As Literature and Latte Tweeted:

Hi. If you're using Scrivener on macOS, please resist the urge to upgrade to macOS Catalina for now. Apple only dropped their GM to developers on Thursday, so we're still working on bugs that have affected Scrivener 3. Note Catalina is a 64-bit environment, so no Scrivener 2. L&L

If you don't really have a pressing need to upgrade to Catalina, I'd suggest waiting in any case, even if you're not using Scrivener.

Let Apple and developers get problems fixed so you don't have them.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this! My Mac just prompted me to upgrade this morning. I delayed it, as I usually do. Good thing since I have Scrivener 2!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be a little surprised if L&L produce a Scrivener 2 upgrade for Catalina? 2.x is old enough now that I'd be a little surprised if they want to support both 32- and 64-bit versions, but WTHDIK?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would be astonished if a 64-bit version of Scrivener 2 were in the cards. That's what Scrivener 3 is for.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a puzzle: when I mouse over the Scrivener icon on my task bar (MacBook Pro), the text description that pops up says Scrivener 2. However, when I launch Scrivener and check "About Scrivener," I see a note indicating I am running 3.1.3.

I'm inclined to believe "About Scrivener" results rather than the display name on my taskbar icon. But there's a lot at stake in this decision. Any expert care to weigh in?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd trust what the actual app says when you're running it. The dock icon may have failed to update. What I recommend: remove the icon from the dock. Relaunch the application from the Applications folder (or wherever you put it) in the Finder. When it opens and a new icon appears in your dock, pin that one to it wherever you had the old one, and you'll be fine. (Scrivener 3 icon is a circle with an S, not the square yin-yang S of the Scrivener 2 icon.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a puzzle: when I mouse over the Scrivener icon on my task bar (MacBook Pro), the text description that pops up says Scrivener 2. However, when I launch Scrivener and check "About Scrivener," I see a note indicating I am running 3.1.3.

I'm inclined to believe "About Scrivener" results rather than the display name on my taskbar icon. But there's a lot at stake in this decision. Any expert care to weigh in?

First go to your Applications directory and make absolutely sure you only have one version of Scrivener installed. If that's the case then:

1. Control click or right-click on the Scrivener icon in the Dock
  2. Choose Options from the icon pop-up menu, then choose Remove from Dock
  3. Launch/Open Scrivener
  4. Repeat step 1, then choose Options and Keep in Dock

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be a little surprised if L&L produce a Scrivener 2 upgrade for Catalina? 2.x is old enough now that I'd be a little surprised if they want to support both 32- and 64-bit versions, but WTHDIK?

Scrivener 2 for macOS has been eliminated in terms of updates; it will not install or run on Catalina. You can still download it and install and register Scrivener 2 for macOS if you have a license for it.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
First go to your Applications directory and make absolutely sure you only have one version of Scrivener installed. If that's the case then:

1. Control click or right-click on the Scrivener icon in the Dock
  2. Choose Options from the icon pop-up menu, then choose Remove from Dock
  3. Launch/Open Scrivener
  4. Repeat step 1, then choose Options and Keep in Dock

I have two versions installed--Yin Yang icon and Circle S--but the older version hasn't launched since 2016.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I have two versions installed--Yin Yang icon and Circle S--but the older version hasn't launched since 2016.

That's the issue then.

You'll want to remove the older version, but first make sure that you have Opened and Saved all your Scrivener Projects in the new version; open the new version then via the File menu open the projects (there is a file management change between Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3, so you will want to make sure you can open all your projects and save them). Be careful if you have multiple versions of a given project.

Then you will want to remove the older version in the Applications directory, which should take care of the app icon in the Dock; if it doesn't you have the steps to remove the icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.