Hello From Austin!

yandisimo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a writer in Austin, TX who focuses mainly on songwriting and poems - but I am pressing into short thrillers. I'm extremely new to contributing to forum communities.

When I write, it is usually sad-romantic songs & poems. Then when i decide to write stories (rather begin), I tend to lean towards thrillers.

I'm open to reading everything. Just like music, if a book is considered a "MUST READ" then I'll give it a try. My next book I'm going to read is Sapiens by Yuval Harari. Please recommend me some great books! I love adventure novels and always a good thriller.

I've been writing music for about 10 years, and dabbling in short stories for maybe six months.

I love to beta read. I like to consider myself a very honest & intentional critic when given the opportunity. Another reason is because I always think there is a certain type of organic emotion in drafts.

Some of my hobbies are playing music, hiking, and working out. I am not an expert in anything, yet.

Let me know what music you're currently listening to!

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi yandismo! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat.

I'm into the folk/traditional scene. It's always a mix of American old-time (particularly the niche regional styles), Irish/Scottish trad, and derivations thereof. But also, since it's fall, I'm listening to a lot of Balkan/Greek and Chinese pop music from about 15 years ago. What sort of music do you write? What instruments do you play?

This is an amazing and interesting place with lots of people, but you might want to start in the Mystery/Thriller/Suspense board or the Music and Songwriting board.

I hope you enjoy your time on the boards. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Raven2Delta

Anti-Heroic
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
I am always impressed with people who can do anything with music. I lack a musically creative bone in my body :)
Well, I did a little freestyle rap once...

Looking forward to reading and seeing your works!

yandisimo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kat!

Speaking of folk, just caught Mumford & Sons at Austin City Limits Music festival this past weekend! Amazing.

Please send me some artists that you're listening to! I write r&b and hip-hop mainly, but lately i've found myself creating more freely on the piano.

Thanks for the welcome and the places to start!

yandisimo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

People always tell me that exact thing, but I never believe it! You could pick up the guitar or piano in a week with only 20 mins a day!

Cheers

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
yandisimo;10592071 Speaking of folk said:
How cool!

For Irish/Scottish trad: The Chieftains, Old Blind Dogs, Solas
For American old-time/folk: Uncle Earl, Abigail Washburn and all her collaborators
The other genres are more obscure. :)