Your knowledge of government and slavery in the United States--what does the Constitution say today?

How much do you know about the Constitution and slavery?

• The Constitution of the United States allows slavery.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • The Constitution of the United States does NOT allow slavery.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • The Constitution of the United States allows slavery under certain circumstances.

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I have an interview project in hand, so this is an unofficial poll, hoping to get a feel for just how common "common knowledge" really is. I do expect people on this board to be better informed than the average, but I'm still interested to see what the results will be.

Thanks so much for your help, if you choose to participate!

Edited to add (from below)--to clear confusion up, I hope:

It's not a trick question. :) Simply, do you (if a US citizen) know the Constitutional status of slavery in the United States today?

Also edited in from below: This is not statistical information being included in the interview--I'm merely trying to get a sense for what readers may know or not know, and how I can shape the interview to best meet their needs for information.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Are you referring to the original U.S. Constitution or the current U.S. Constitution incorporating the 13th Amendment?

What is your definition of "common knowledge?"

What makes you assume knowing the U.S. Constitution is considered "common knowledge?"

Common knowledge is something known by most people. The Constitution is a hefty, living document (in that it can be amended over time). I do not understand why knowledge of the U.S. Constitution is "common knowledge." Better examples of common knowledge might be water freezes at 0C/32F.

Your interview project seems biased based on the use of "common knowledge." I'd be concerned of your sample size (population) not being an accurate representation of defining something large in scale as "common knowledge" of the masses.

Are you including Americans only in your query or can anyone take the poll? Are non-Americans supposed to know of the topic?

Maybe you can re-work the question with more details.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you referring to the original U.S. Constitution or the current U.S. Constitution incorporating the 13th Amendment?

What is your definition of "common knowledge?"

What makes you assume knowing the U.S. Constitution is considered "common knowledge?"

Common knowledge is something known by most people. The Constitution is a hefty, living document (in that it can be amended over time). I do not understand why knowledge of the U.S. Constitution is "common knowledge." Better examples of common knowledge might be water freezes at 0C/32F.

Your interview project seems biased based on the use of "common knowledge." I'd be concerned of your sample size (population) not being an accurate representation of defining something large in scale as "common knowledge" of the masses.

Are you including Americans only in your query or can anyone take the poll? Are non-Americans supposed to know of the topic?

Maybe you can re-work the question with more details.

This ^

Without knowing if you mean the original Constitution before or after all the current Amendments your question sounds like a trick question.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The three choices offered are all in the present tense. That does narrow the time frame for the appropriate answer to the present.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a trick question. :) Simply, do you (if a US citizen) know the Constitutional status of slavery in the United States today? (I'm going to add this back to my original post, hopefully to clear up any confusion.)

A couple of other things: first of all, the results will not go directly into any interview. They are a bit of side checking, if you will--not as an official statistic, but to get a sense of the knowledge that readers of the interview may possess. It's not intended to be a statement, but to help me craft the interview to meet possible reader needs for information.

Second, as to "common knowledge." I'm expecting a probable default answer that I imagine most people would give (what I would take for common knowledge), but I'd really like to see how many clicks the different options get.

Thanks again! :)

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, as written it does kind of feel like a trick question. Lots of people see a clear separation between the original and the amendments. I'd suggest rephrasing to eliminate the doubt of what you intend.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think I can edit the poll once it's posted. However, I have edited my first post, which will hopefully clear up confusion. I did go back to see if it was possible to edit the poll, but it doesn't appear to be so. Probably to keep the poster from making the results look like something they're not.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The 13th Amendment declares: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

I voted it is not allowed, because the Amendments are as much part of the US Constitution, as it is applied today, as the original document. I assumed the question referred to our current version of the Constitution.

Last edited:

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's the current version. I can't amend the poll, but I have amended the title of this post (just now), hoping to clear up the confusion. :)

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I reply for the original constitution. (Based on the poll question. Ignoring the title of the post as irrelevant, since it usually is.) Since the 13th Amendment obviously slavery is forbidden (except for legal punishment -- all those chain gangs & prison plantations).

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The 13th Amendment declares: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

I voted it is not allowed, because the Amendments are as much part of the US Constitution, as it is applied today, as the original document. I assumed the question referred to our current version of the Constitution.

Bolding mine. As the question is worded, slavery is allowed in that circumstance.

The 13th also only referred to chattal slavery, which in the US was based on heredity unless the individual was explicitly freed (read "Twelve Years a Slave" for a firsthand account of heredity trumping legally free status). The less formal, less institutionalized "wage slavery" is still very much a thing. Although there are laws on the books to protect workers from wage slavery, wage slavery itself is not prohibited by the Constitution.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like most have no idea what the Constitution says. Slavery is allowed under certain circumstances.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
The less formal, less institutionalized "wage slavery" is still very much a thing. Although there are laws on the books to protect workers from wage slavery, wage slavery itself is not prohibited by the Constitution.

"Wage slavery" is a metaphor, not a form of slavery. Are you thinking instead of debt slavery? That's different, and certainly exists.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
What circumstances?

Roxxmom quoted the relevant text above:
"The 13th Amendment declares: "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
One would be well advised not to equate post-conviction incarceration with slavery/involuntary servitude; that's the equivalent of an endless rabbit hole fraught with bandied semantics and provocative emotional triggers, inevitably destined to devolve in more fruitless debate--one of an instructor's favored traps for unwary first year law students.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Bolding mine. As the question is worded, slavery is allowed in that circumstance.

I figured punishment for crimes falls more under involuntary servitude, since the condition is generally temporary and not passed on to one's children. Is there an actually difference between slavery and involuntary servitude, or are the terms interchangeable? The wording of the Constitution implies that there is a difference (since it uses both terms with an "nor"), but the form of chattel slavery practiced in the US certainly isn't the only form of involuntary servitude that has been referred to as slavery.

But there are different ways to interpret wordings, obviously, or we wouldn't need courts. Does the absence of a comma between "slavery" and "nor indentured servitude" imply that either could be imposed as a penalty for crimes? Or is it only involuntary servitude that can be imposed under certain circumstances? I interpreted it in the latter way.

This is not the same as "having no idea what the Constitution says."

I don't know what might happen under the current political climate if a state ever tries to impose slavery again, as it was once practiced in the US, as a punishment for crimes. I hope we don't find out. I can see a dystopian scenario where it is imposed as a penalty on undocumented immigrants, for instance.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Roxxmom quoted the relevant text above:

Welp.

Though, despite my issues with the carceral system, I can't recall any situations where someone was sentenced to slavery. Now I'm curious about this.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Because of way that descendents of pre-Emancipation slaves have been targeted by justice systems then forced to work without pay in prison, sometimes until death, there is an argument that people are sentenced into slavery.

There's also a problem with the enslavement of immigrants and migrant workers, who are lured into the U.S. for jobs but then are neither allowed to quit nor paid for their work as promised. Those cases aren't as well reported, but then, neither are the disappearance of the workers who try to escape but never make it back to their own families.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The problem I have with the poll's wording is that it's not clear on whose interpretation of the Constitution matters in what it allows. My reading has not been the same the Supreme Court, whose justices disagree with each other.

I selected "does NOT allow" despite the state by state variations on the definition of slavery and involuntary servitude.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watch the wording. If C is correct, then A is also correct... :)

Of course, now you know how researchers prove the conclusions they arrived at prior to doing the research.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.