JOKER

Writing Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen Joker yet?

First of all, I love Joaquin Phoenix. He is for sure my favourite actor. I went in expecting an Oscar-worthy performance and was not disappointed. He is acting his dang heart out in every single frame of this movie.

It is very dark and grim. After watching it my first thought was that I would not want to re-watch it...too depressing. But then the more I thought about it (and it DID stick with me) I realized I would like to see it again. Just to try and figure things out a bit more. I might have a stiff drink first though lol.

I am still...unsettled after viewing.

Anyone have a review? Thoughts? Love it or hate it?

CJEvermore

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely adored it. A powerful drama that brings a unique perspective to one of the greatest villains of all time. Joaquin Phoenix was simply perfect in the role, and the fact that we aren't, as an audience, spoonfed all the details gives the film many layers, so each time we watch we might spot or experience something different. As a lifelong Batman fan, I found this film to be incredible.

kranix1

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really like it.

Not because it wasn't well executed, which it was, but because it was so damn grotesque.

Joaquin Phoenix was awesome and it is incredible how uncomfortable he made me feel in several of the scenes.

I think it was a great character study but not an awesome comic book movie.

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really like it.

Not because it wasn't well executed, which it was, but because it was so damn grotesque.

Joaquin Phoenix was awesome and it is incredible how uncomfortable he made me feel in several of the scenes.

I think it was a great character study but not an awesome comic book movie.

I agree with you on the movie not being a good comic book movie, but I still enjoyed it. Luckily, I knew going in that it wasn't going to be what you'd expect from a "Joker" movie. Tough to watch, but very well done. The ending when he's on that talk show made me supremely uncomfortable because you know something terrible is going to happen and yet you can't look away.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the movie was great. But I do want to talk about one thing that bothers me, in regards to how people discuss this movie.

What does it mean to be a good "comic book movie"? What is a comic book movie? Anything that is drawn, no matter the subject matter, is considered a comic book. A comic can do whatever it pleases and no one will bat an eye. Regardless of what genre this movie is, does it matter if it is or is not a comic book movie?

I've read people who've said they would have liked it more were it not a comic book movie, or a Joker movie. And that's likely the association they have with what Joker the character is supposed to be that's standing in the way of them enjoying it. Dunno.

I absolutely welcome of this type of film, an alternate take on a well established property and character. I was glued to the screen the last 15 minutes. That's more than I can say for Captain Marvel, Black Panther or the recent Spider-Man. It saddens me that Daredevil is no more.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
It was good. I thought Phoenix was phenomenal of course.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
It was ok. In the category of angry white man that loses it I still prefer Taxi Driver. Apart from Joaquim Phoenix amazing performance and the brilliant score the rest felt unoriginal to me.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
It was ok. In the category of angry white man that loses it I still prefer Taxi Driver. Apart from Joaquim Phoenix amazing performance and the brilliant score the rest felt unoriginal to me.

Yea, I agree. I felt something was missing.

badatwriting

Registered
Reaction score
Joaquin Phoenix's performance was incredible, but the film surrounding it wasn't great. Just watch some Scorsese haha.