High School Disciplinary Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
If a high school student were to get into a fight on the last day of school, what would the consequences be? There's no opportunity for suspension or detention, unless they're required to attend summer school. Would they be allowed to take any exams if the fight happens, say, at lunch?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
From what Ive heard the punishment carries on to the next year so if they get suspended for a week, they would miss the first week of the next year.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
starrystorm is right, but I would expect virtually zero fights have happened on the last day because kids are so happy to be done with the school year :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the kind of people likely to be in fights have skipped the last couple of days entirely.
And, I cannot think of a teacher dumb enough to schedule a meaningful exam for the last half of the last day of school. Even the 'good' kids are no longer concentrating.
A teacher might have a humourous or lightweight quiz, or something, to keep the kids occupied, but, hey, last day - teachers are anticipating freedom, too.

I imagine a lot of teachers, seeing a fight, unless there's blood showing or it's a gross overmatch, would just break it up and keep on going, with a brisk 'knock-it off, kids' in passing.
Or send one of the offenders to sit in the office 'til quitting time.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

For a little bit more context: This would be for a bit of backstory, as the actual plot takes place over summer vacation. On the last day of school, another girl calls my MC a slur. So she punches her in the face.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thanks, everyone!

For a little bit more context: This would be for a bit of backstory, as the actual plot takes place over summer vacation. On the last day of school, another girl calls my MC a slur. So she punches her in the face.

IME the school system has a fair amount of leeway over how to handle this, but there's a good chance there'd be no consequences at all outside of breaking up the fight. With a punch, though, the other girl could legit go to the police.

Depending on the circumstances, too, the school might take steps to keep the kids apart in the coming year. But some of that would depend on what the parents push for.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Any sort of fighting or physical altercation is usually now an automatic suspension because of zero tolerance policies. So for a punch to the face (that's pretty clear cut), your MC is probably going to get herself suspended for at least 3 days, and have this go on her permanent record. The other student will also be punished for the slur. Depending on the severity of the assault, charges may also be filed with the police through the school resource officer against your MC. The students may both fill out "stay away" agreements against one another (MC for the slur, other student for the assault) through the counselor's office.

Kid in my daughter's K-8 school kicked another kid across the basketball court. Dozens of witnesses. No suspension, no school punishment at all. (What might have happened outside the school system I don't know.) This was in a public school (considered a good one, FWIW) in central Massachusetts in 2017, and yes, the altercation was unusual.

My experience with school administrations is that they don't have the staffing to handle every transgression by the book. "Zero-tolerance" policies are unevenly enforced, and how much is done often depends on the level of parental involvement.

In a fictional situation - if the kid throwing the punch had a history of disciplinary issues, there'd maybe be a visit to the guidance office and some outreach to the parents. If this was a first offense, it's plausible that nothing official would happen at all.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well, then policies must differ by state.

I'm pretty sure they differ by school district! :) I looked up zero-tolerance policies in Massachusetts, and enforcement really depends on what's implemented locally.

Point is, depending on how fictional the OP's location is, they have some leeway coming up with a realistic sequence of events.

Last edited:

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
yeah i was gonna bring up zero tolerance policies, and how it would just depend on how mad the staff is that day

I went to a bad (TM) school, the Lean On Me kind, and the last week of school was when the most fights broke out lol (settle the scores before the summer). If it is not this sort of school, they may be let off, may get community service, a bunch of different things. If it is, the staff may be overtaxed and suspend them or something. Normally, though, it's up to the parents to care about it or else it's let go.

eta: my point is that for better or for worse, student discipline is a lawless land that is entirely up to the jurisdiction of the staff. As long as it makes sense, it would be believable.

Last edited:

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
There may be exams during the last week of school (ie, state educational exams that have to happen on a standard date, even if it's inconvenient to the local school district), but I can't think of any school board who would coincide the last day of high school with an exam. Around here, it's usually a half-day anyways. Awards ceremonies usually happen over the last two or three days of school (during the daytime in smaller schools, at nighttime for larger schools), and the students have been dismissed by lunchtime.

If the kid isn't a graduating senior, sometimes they use sports as a disciplinary means during the summertime. They have to show up to football practice, run laps, do push-ups, be there for practice at 6 am before it's 120*, and do all the training stuff of the usual summer training team stuff. We're a rural school district, so I know some years, the football team has helped harvest hay and haul hay bales for local farmers/ranchers as part of their summer physical training.

It's much less certain how much those kids are allowed to play... because they're also the same kids who are so spiteful about their punishment, that they deliberately try to sabotage the team's performance on the field when the time comes for an actual game, in an effort to make the coach look bad.

College--- yeah, that's totally different. You can leave campus anytime you want as soon as you've finished your last exam. But not high school in the US, at least in my part of the world.

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score
There may be exams during the last week of school (ie, state educational exams that have to happen on a standard date, even if it's inconvenient to the local school district), but I can't think of any school board who would coincide the last day of high school with an exam. Around here, it's usually a half-day anyways. Awards ceremonies usually happen over the last two or three days of school (during the daytime in smaller schools, at nighttime for larger schools), and the students have been dismissed by lunchtime.

If the kid isn't a graduating senior, sometimes they use sports as a disciplinary means during the summertime. They have to show up to football practice, run laps, do push-ups, be there for practice at 6 am before it's 120*, and do all the training stuff of the usual summer training team stuff. We're a rural school district, so I know some years, the football team has helped harvest hay and haul hay bales for local farmers/ranchers as part of their summer physical training.

It's much less certain how much those kids are allowed to play... because they're also the same kids who are so spiteful about their punishment, that they deliberately try to sabotage the team's performance on the field when the time comes for an actual game, in an effort to make the coach look bad.

College--- yeah, that's totally different. You can leave campus anytime you want as soon as you've finished your last exam. But not high school in the US, at least in my part of the world.

To offer a different (Canadian) perspective: here in Ontario high school exams for the second semester of classes are on the last four school days of the year, with no classes on those days (eg come to school, take exam in morning, go home when exam done). Any award ceremonies separate from graduation occur before that. Admittedly, there are no major exams a la SATs in Ontario and any standardized testing happens earlier in the year.

I'm agree with everyone else about individual variation by school. The school officials - at least where I went to school (which was a school composed of half of students from families who weren't as well off and half students from richer families) - should take previous behaviour into account when imposing punishments, so in theory somebody who's never been in trouble before who was provoked would get a lighter punishment than somebody who causes so much trouble they have their own chair in the principal's office.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a high school student were to get into a fight on the last day of school, what would the consequences be? There's no opportunity for suspension or detention, unless they're required to attend summer school. Would they be allowed to take any exams if the fight happens, say, at lunch?

No grades, no exams, no graduation ceremony, no school sports, dances, plays, etc. Don't ask me why I know this...

Of course, Disco was becoming popular and kids still wore bell bottoms at times when my knowledge was imparted. Now days they probably shame you on Facebook and elect you to office.

Jeff

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Having grown up changing schools every couple of years, it has been my experience that the punishment for fighting varies all over the board from "knock it off" to suspension, with the former more common that the latter. If it's on the last day of school? Short of something requiring a police response, like a student trying to bash another student's head in with a baseball bat, I doubt there would be any school disciplinary response, and if there was, it would probably be an outright ban from the school.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
You can take this other routes if you like:

1) The school can ask the victim of the fight what he/she wants the school to do to discipline the aggressor. The victim might explain the aggressor is not to be in any of the classes during the balance of the victim's stay at the school. Maybe something else can be thought of for this. Maybe this is more appropriate to elementary school or small high school. Maybe the aggressor would be punished by limiting his/her choices of classes when he/she wanted to take them with friends.

2) Where I grew up, in high school, we had a high school for serial offenders. They left the general high schools and were sent there. It was centrally located to the schools it served in the area. Repeat offenders or those who did egregious acts first time were sent there. They completed their high school careers there.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
School codes of conduct are often on their websites. You may have to dig. Look up schools in the area where your story takes place. Note that both kids may have consequences. If the student is in a sport that will practice over the summer (or say a marching band), they may be prohibited from that activity. Caveat: A student with an IEP may receive different consequences because IDEA is federal law. Also, there's a difference between a one-time circumstance and a repeat offender. My middle schooler got one day of in-school suspension for knocking a kid down. The kid had stabbed him with a pencil, and my son immediately helped him back up. (The kid got three days of ISS, as I recall it.) They were and are still friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.