What do you think of my cover?

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
I've paid a professional to design my book cover
It's a romance novel with lots of angst
and here what they send me
be honest...., would this cover make you interested in my novel?
Is it clickable? It's the first round of revision. I could tell them to change or edit it

Thanks a lot for all the opinions, you helped me a lot

Last edited:

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Hi there. Personally, this cover doesn't really do much for me but to be honest I don't really read romance novels anyway.
Where is your name on the cover? And what are the black patches everywhere?
Maybe the cover would work better if the couple was centered. But maybe that's just me.

Maggie2005

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to show my pen-name here. So I covered my name and the rest of the title with these black patches.

Thorberta

Not a squirrel, but close.
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard for me to make a complete judgement with the black patches...but it feels like it needs a bit more oomph. I'm also not fond of the font you have 'Believe' in, it doesn't seem to fit with the softness of the picture.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a generic romance cover, which will appeal to a reader interested mainly in the genre, rather than looking for anything in particular in the plot. I can't see any "angst" there, if that was what you're aiming for. But it looks professional enough and would be easy to convince the potential reader that it's a good book worth reading, that's the main thing.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree with Curlz that it would appeal to romance readers but would likely not have crossover appeal. I think it is visually fine--it has sort of a late 1980s look to me--and I wish I was in the man's position, but it probably offers no punch beyond that.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The title font is wrong for the genre.

Because of the black blobs, I can't tell if the rest of the layout is harming or helping.

In answer to your question about whether the cover would make me interested - the answer is no. It's basically just a generic couple in a generic pose. There's nothing to make it stand out from the thousands of books with similar covers.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
To me it's quite obvious it's a romance or maybe erotic romance. It's an okay cover but nothing special. If your book was in a lineup of others on Amazon or whatever, it wouldn't stand out at all to me. I might not even notice it or spend more than a few seconds on it. You do want a cover that hits your genre but something that also has a spark and makes readers pay attention. I don't get that from this cover. Maybe it's the pose but there doesn't seem to be any chemistry or anything there. No sex appeal or anything which is what you want with a romance. Dark or otherwise.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if the faces weren't covered. Eyes can be very powerful with conveying emotion. Many covers do the cut-the-head-off and it can work but in this case it seems to be a hindrance. Maybe if we saw how they looked at each other it would show some chemistry or spark. I think another pose (or couple altogether) would be much hotter.