SCOTUS to Hear Trans Rights Arguments Today

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The court will hear oral arguments on Tuesday in R.G. & G.R. Harris Funeral Homes Inc. v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a case that will decide if transgender people are entitled to sex-based protections under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Stephens, the plaintiff in the case, was working as a funeral director and embalmer when she came out as a trans woman in 2013, informing her employer with a letter explaining why her transition was necessary for her quality of life. Shortly thereafter, she was fired. Stephens filed a complaint with the EEOC claiming she was discriminated against because of her sex.
Whatever the nine cisgender Supreme Court justices decide will have a lasting effect on the lives of every trans person in the US. If Stephens gets a favorable decision from the conservative-leaning court, trans people will have explicit nondiscrimination protections under federal law for the first time in history. A loss would be a dramatic step back in the equal standing of trans people under the law.

https://www.vox.com/latest-news/201...sion-employment-discrimination-aimee-stephens

A big day today for every trans American. Today is the day that begins the enshrinement or removal of the rights of trans Americans. Personally, given the make-up of the SCOTUS, I don't like our chances. And once that happens, look for the current Administration to go on the offensive against us. A year and a half ago, fearing a bad outcome of the state of affairs of trans rights in America, I attempted and failed to establish a trans asylum colony in the South of France. It looks now more than ever that that was probably not a bad plan. Keep a kind thought today for trans Americans, as we need every ounce of goodwill we can get. Winter is coming.

As an incidental note, I picked this article from VOX because it was the top google search for me. I noticed just now that it was written by Katelyn Burns, a journalist that I know, who also happens to be trans.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the article. I am so sorry this is even happening.

Woke up to texts from friends who are in DC. I'm worried and heartsick.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'll be keeping you and the entire trans community in my thoughts today especially, Diana. You've known and believed the evidence of your eyes (and ears) since before day one. I'm so sorry everything you feared has come to pass so quickly.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't pray, Diana, but I'm wishing for Roberts to be a relative voice of sanity here.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm reading several Twitter live-threads (from when it was happening.) What I'm taking away is that most think the ruling will go 5-4 against, on the grounds of "judicial restraint," rather a more pointed ruling outright stating trans people aren't entitled to workplace protections. Basically, that congress should put the rights explicitly into law.

Not likely a win, but at least fixable IF we can get a congress (and President) that will get that done. Yet one more reason for progressive voters to come out in droves.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Looks like Roberts could be the swing vote, and Gorsuch at least expressed sympathy for the fired LGBT employees in one of the cases. Hope, maybe. We'll find out next year most likely.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49966287

Yeah, though Gorsuch's questions seem to be more skeptical of the LGBTQ position than not overall. We probably won't hear a decision before spring at the earliest. It's sad and frustrating to see nine highly privileged people splitting legalistic hairs over something that will affect the very livelihoods of many Americans. Easy for them to say it should be a matter for the legislative branch when Congress is so divided.

As if there wouldn't be legal challenges to a law extending protected class status to LGBTQ people if both houses of Congress did pass one.

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a member of the LGBTQ+ community with a transgender spouse, I’ve been anxiously anticipating these cases ever since they were scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Court. It doesn’t help that I’m not overly confident with this specific court. And I hate that we likely won’t hear a decision until spring or summer. And the thought that any Supreme Court decision can create a precedent that could either accelerate progress rapidly or set back progress for years is really nerve-wracking.