Rainbow crosswalks annoys someone in the federal government, seriously.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are they kidding? They are bothered by this?

NY Times: The Government Says Rainbow Crosswalks Could Be Unsafe. Are They Really?

Answer: No, the evidence supports they are safer. So clearly it wasn't some concern about safety that motivated these homophobes to go after state's rights to paint rainbow sidewalks.

Ahead of an annual L.G.B.T.Q. festival in Ames, Iowa, members of the City Council decided to liven up a pedestrian crosswalk near the downtown shopping district by painting stripes in colors evoking the gay, nonbinary and transgender pride flags.

“Who would have thought, 50 years ago, that a small town in central Iowa would be saying this: We see you, we hear you, we welcome you,” Reginald Stewart, vice president for diversity and inclusion at Iowa State University, said of the kaleidoscopic markings.

But urban planning practitioners and advocates say the government’s claims that crosswalk art makes intersections less safe are not rooted in evidence.

Michael Lydon, a founder of the urban design firm Street Plans, has been working with cities and community groups to develop street art projects for almost a decade.

“The thing that gets under my skin, personally,” he said, “is that this response from FHWA is not really grounded in any data.”

The Seattle Department of Transportation has installed 40 artistic crosswalks, which include rainbow stripes and geometric designs created by local artists, and has started a formal program for communities to request one.
Made me appreciate (just a little) the stupid fall leaves decal they put in a few intersections in my neighborhood. They are in the intersection, not the crosswalks and I think they were a waste of money. But I'm all for painted sidewalks.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, it is very hard to miss a rainbow-painted crosswalk. Even if you've just snagged a brand new read from Elliott Bay Books and don't have time to put it down to look where you're going.