Ashamed of past works because I've grown.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Internet is something of a hazard to new writers. It used to be that you had to go through a gatekeeper, and presumably your stuff would at least be up to somebody's standard, if and when it made print. (That said, a number of commercially published writers have disliked their early novels.) But it's very, very easy these days to put work on the market that you may regret later.

Personally, I'm thankful I didn't manage to publish my earliest work, though at the time, of course, I thought it was fantastic. In your situation, I would say, chalk it up to a learning experience, and keep writing. You can't move on with your development if you keep looking back and cringing.

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely have stories that I’m glad got lost as I changed computers over the years and lost notebooks. But I also think it’s kind of cool to see how my writing’s changed as time went on. It’s one way to concretely show we have changed as people as we grew up, and I think that’s cool. But I also didn’t publish any of that stuff so...:Shrug:

Josaya Pine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thedeepend589247004.wordpress.com
The man who writes the lyrics for Elton John, Bernie Taupin, once said recently that there are earlier lyrics of his that he just doesn't understand anymore. Even though millions of people still like them and listen to them, he is very critical about them. He obviously cannot rewrite them just as much as a novelist cannot rewrite a book. In cases like this I don't see the benefit of beating yourself up over something you can't change. If you have half a book written that you penned 20 years ago though, that's a different...…..story.

We can always go back and edit things out that are dated or just plain bad writing. What I do is take a moment and see exactly what is wrong from an objective point of view. I distance myself personally from what I wrote 20 years ago which, if you think about it, is pretty easy considering I am a very different person than I was 20 years ago. Therefore, it's a fairly easy thing to do.

From there, it's also fairly easy to repurpose what you wrote in the words and style you use today.