• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Crit group] Zoetrope

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Wesley Smith

TheNextBigWriter.com & Zoetrope.com

The Next Big Writer and Zoetrope are communities that promise feedback in a workshop type setting. Zoetrope is free, The Next Big Writer evidently charges about $40 a year.

Anybody have any thoughts on either of these sites, or know of any other sites where I can workshop my novel (beyond here, I mean).
06-06-2006, 07:58 AM
sanyuja
Super Fast Turtle

I have no clue about the first one, but I have used Zoetrope for sometime. Yes, it's free and I used it mainly as a critique board. You critique 5 stories and you will be allowed to upload one of your stories for critique. It is more or less the same as Critique Circle (CC), but CC has a much better credit system. The crowd is more friendly and more passionate. I probably came across the wrong crowd at Zoetrope, but this is my experience. You do get good, helpful crit at Zoetrope, though.

I am not sure about this part: I think Zoetrope also publishes stories. Members can rate a story and based on the rating, they choose to publish few of the stories.
06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
cuteshoes
Board fanatic

I've used Zoetrope and Critique Circle and I wholeheartedly prefer CC. You only need to crit 3 stories for every 1 you submit and most people there seem to submit entire novels chapter by chapter whereas Zoetrope is usually short stories. Since I am writing a novel, it's much more useful that I use CC.
06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
sanyuja
Super Fast Turtle

To answer your last question, you can post your novel in chunks (chapterwise) at CC. I have seen many people do this and going by their persistence (they are into chapter 20 etc.), I assume the feedback is helpful. Why don't you try posting a chapter and see what kind of feedback you get? You don't lose anything: it's free.
06-06-2006, 08:04 AM
sanyuja
Super Fast Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteshoes
You only need to crit 3 stories for every 1 you submit and most people there seem to submit entire novels chapter by chapter whereas Zoetrope is usually short stories.
Actually, the number of stories you need to crit depend on the length of your crit. You get more credit points for a longer crit.

Zoetrope also has a novel section, cuteshoes. I vaguely remember that the limit on the length of the novel was 50K. I am not sure about the limit, but I am positive they have a section on novels.
06-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Old Hack
A very happy poster

I've not heard of Critique Circle, although I have been to Zoe. Can someone post a link to the former, please?
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
zeprosnepsid
Board fanatic

I use Zoetrope for Short Stories and screenplays. People are not very nice and the boards are very clique-ish but a lot of the critiques are pretty good. No one's going to give you an easy time but they will generally give you pretty honest opinions.
06-06-2006, 11:57 AM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack
I've not heard of Critique Circle, although I have been to Zoe. Can someone post a link to the former, please?
http://www.critiquecircle.com/
06-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Old Hack
A very happy poster

Why, thank you, CP!

I tried Zoe but found it lacking: unless you get involved in a lot of private offices (which is very time-consuming) you are restricted to the public boards, which are so full there is little feeling of family there. However, they do a useful critique, so long as you're not feeling too sensitive.
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
JerseyGirl1962
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Smith
The Next Big Writer and Zoetrope are communities that promise feedback in a workshop type setting. Zoetrope is free, The Next Big Writer evidently charges about $40 a year.

Anybody have any thoughts on either of these sites, or know of any other sites where I can workshop my novel (beyond here, I mean).
Don't know anything about either of those. I originally was going to go with Critique Circle and the only reason I didn't (it's silly, really) was because I was having computer problems (I couldn't register there for whatever weird, technical reason). Instead, I went with the Online Writing Workshop (http://www.onlinewritingworkshop.com). Now, it's not free (about $50 per year) and it's only spec fic (horror/SF/fantasy), but the critiques I've received have helped me tremendously (I've yet to receive any sort of putdown along the lines of "you shouldn't be writing"; the mods over there make sure it's understood that truthful but respectful critiques are the way to go). They do allow an initial free period (1 month) where you're allowed to post a novel chapter or a short story, just so you can see if it's for you.

So if you're writing in those genres, it might be worth a look.

~Nancy
06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

http://critters.org/ is another big one for specfic writers. No fee and accommodates all levels of writers.

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Zeotrope - Virtual Studio to Display Work

Yesterday I submitted a query to Zeotrope (owned by the Coppola family). It is a move website. I received an e-mail back saying they do not receive unsolicited submissions.

I am wondering whether to put some of my unpublished work in their virtual studio in the hope that it may be read by a movie producer who will be interested in it. You can post novellas, longer works, short stories and poetry. You receive critiques and in return you must critique two works from other writers.

Has anyone here submitted work to Zeotrope? If so have you had any interest in your work?

Would displaying on the virtual studio mean that the first north american serial rights are used up?

Any comments gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Barbara

blackpen

Bizzare in Berkeley
Registered
Reaction score
some general things to note about zoetrope:
when i asked about response time last year, they told me they were taking 10 months for submissions.
if they're not taking unsolicited submissions now, they're probably super bogged down more than ever.
you can post on their virtual studio and check this option that says you're not actually submitting it. that way, you're just posting it for crits and you can submit it to any market you want. if you do choose to count it as a submission, it's very unlikely that you'll get noticed due to the sheer volume. i believe any rights won't be given up until you sign a contract after your piece has been accepted, which can't happen unless you say you're submitting it and someone happens to notice it.
i use critiquecircle.com, haven't tried zoetrope yet. hope that helps.