Agents who are also writers: Good or bad?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

It's not uncommon, but not the majority either.

As to whether it's good or bad, that depends (like a lot of things) on the agent in question. Personable agent with lots of contacts in the business and a desire to help her/his fellow writers and a knowledge of the craft, yeah, that'd be a good one. Agent who wishes she/he had more time to write and begrudges every minute spent working on her/his clients' behalf, no, I wouldn't want that one.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if that's common but there have been publishers (mainly small press) and people who work with publishing companies who are also authors.

I wouldn't care what the agent did on the side as long as they did right by me and my work.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how common it is, but I know there are several excellent agents who are also excellent authors :). It's a balancing act, but it can be done, and done well!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I feel that if the agent is seasoned, skilled, and has reputable industry contacts, I don't care if they are also an experienced writer.

*However*, if the agent is younger with a developing clientele, and they are also a new writer, I use that as a big red flag. So many newer agents are also trying to publish their own work, that 1) there are competition problems and 2) lots of younger agent burnout.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
It's not unusual. I even know a Big 5 editor who is also a writer. How she finds the time I have no idea, but good for her.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing is, you won't always know if your agent writes. I am sure many write under pen names and unless they share you wouldn't know.