Art geek getting back to writing

StylusRumble

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been a writer, mainly fantasy, and an artist, mainly cartoons but I dabble in fine art, watercolours things like that. When time gets scarce, art tends to win over writing. So over the past few years my really horrible novels have been put on the back burner while I deal with real life. I'm fortunate enough to have an art-job working as a 2D generalist in animation. So, if you like to write animation, or have questions about that, I'm more than happy to geek out about cartoonland!

I'm currently prepping for Nanowrimo. I have an outline ready to go, so I'm just slopping around in backstory, character development and indulging my world builder's disease throughout October.

I wouldn't mind beta reading. I'm a bit better with story repair or plotting than grammar. And by "a bit" I mean my teachers weren't entirely sure if English was my first language when they read my essays. It is technically my first language, though I grew up in a place that has it's own dictionary because the dialect is so thick. Meanwhile, a decade in tv animation has given me a lot of experience realizing we need a pineapple in act 1 , or the unicorn battle's never going to make any sense.

Maybe I should stick to YA.....

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

StylusRumble

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write. I’m a visual artist too, currently caught up in Inktober. Good luck!

I'm not doing inktober this year! Every year I say I wont, then I do the first week, miss a few days and remind myself I wasn't going to do it in the first place. Not long after, I feel guilty and do a few more, stop again, and the cycle goes on until the month is over. I never really accomplished anything and just end up with a bunch of rushed trash lol.
So this year I'm definitely- definitely not doing it... I'm doing Nano instead lol.

I hope you're enjoying it! The years I did it on purpose were fun :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Stylus.

I was "art editor" of our high school newspaper (which means the geek who laboriously drew on a blue mimeograph stencil with a fine metal stylus). It was a long, long time ago.

So of course after jump school and marksmanship instructor school, the army in its infinite wisdom sent me to English editor school to rite gooder. Like who needs more drawers, eh? :greenie

StylusRumble

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Stylus.

I was "art editor" of our high school newspaper (which means the geek who laboriously drew on a blue mimeograph stencil with a fine metal stylus). It was a long, long time ago.

So of course after jump school and marksmanship instructor school, the army in its infinite wisdom sent me to English editor school to rite gooder. Like who needs more drawers, eh? :greenie

Thanks Chase ^_^ . I'm more of an Cintiq stylus myself. Though I did have a mentor back in the early 2000's who was very keen to teach me the lessons of graphic design circa the 50's. Not much help with the gooder writing though, so always good to make friends with those who do. :D

KDIvanov

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stylus! :hi:

Animation sounds so much fun. Have you dabbled in graphic novels/mobile games or any of the like as well?

StylusRumble

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stylus! :hi:

Animation sounds so much fun. Have you dabbled in graphic novels/mobile games or any of the like as well?

I've kind of dabbled in everything hobby wise. I'm a generalist, so UI art, sprite sheets, comics, is all fair game to me. Professionally I've only done TV and web series. I have had job offers for feature, but I like the duct tape and gum atmosphere of the tv world :)

BlueBeeWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beewritesthings.home.blog
Welcome to AW! As a beta reader I'm usually best at plot, characterization and dialogue. English isn't my first language so I don't think I'm good enough at it yet to beta read for grammar? And YA is the best so. ;)