What's Your Quirk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi, there...I thought I would ask this because I enjoy finding ways to keep my readers "into" a story, so I wanted to see what approaches other writers have.

My quirk is that I almost never include more than two characters in a scene at a time. It is usually one or two. For me, it gives the sense that the reader has nearly exclusive access to what is happening and feels more a part of the story. I call it "intimate storytelling."

As a reader, I find crowds of people in a scene a bit alienating...not that I've stopped reading a story because of that. I admit it's strange, but that's my approach.

I'm curious if you have any.

Thanks.

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like my quirk in real life. Can't seem to handle a conversation with more than one person at the time. :cry:

But writing is different. I recently found myself writing a scene with 7 characters in it and two of them were able to communicate with each other telepathically. It was one of the hardest scenes to write and also one of my favourites.
My writing quirk is that every character often thinks something different than what they say out loud. Oh, and they swear a lot. Real swearing, fantasy swearing, made up swearing... There is a point to it within the story but it also makes it fun for me to write it. :tongue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.