Working on Collection of Short Fiction...not sure what to do when it's done?

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Hopefully this is in the right spot.

Last night I got this incredible brainwave to prep for Nano by working on some short fiction pieces. I realized my world building/character building needed some work, and though I know what my character's are like, it's difficult to transcribe it to an outline. So, I'm working on writing 1,600 words everyday. One piece will be dedicated to one character, and exploring their lives before the story starts. It's a collection of short fiction. I started the first piece last night, and though I hit 1614 words, the story isn't done yet.

But what am I supposed to do with the collectino when it's finished? Leave it on my computer to rot? I plan to experience editing phases for the first time through self edit, etc. But what do I do with them after that?

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
If they stand alone, I would submit them separately to lit magazines. From your siggy, I'm thinking you might write YA? If so, I think there are lit mags who publish YA stuff. Nothing written is ever wasted, I say, so even if it feels like it's "rotting", I often return to things from years ago and find a thread, line, etc that helps me later on.

Reactions: TheRyustyNail

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
My WIP is actually a collection of stand-alone stories that are all related/have common characters/have a continuous arc. Many of the "chapters" have been published in lit mags, and I'm currently shopping the whole around to publishers and agents who deal in story collections.

And as polishmuse says, no writing is ever wasted!

Last edited:

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
If they stand alone, I would submit them separately to lit magazines. From your siggy, I'm thinking you might write YA? If so, I think there are lit mags who publish YA stuff. Nothing written is ever wasted, I say, so even if it feels like it's "rotting", I often return to things from years ago and find a thread, line, etc that helps me later on.

Would magazines accept stories about characters in an trilogy though? Especially fantasy? Like, for example, one of my stories is about how my twin characters are pulling off a heist just before the big heist they try in the book. Another is about the main character's dad and how he started his dragon breeding farm illegally. Would anyone be interested in that? That's what I've been on the fence about.

- - - Updated - - -

Save them as "bonus material" to use down the road as a reward to people who sign up for your author newsletter.

OOO I like this! :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have seen plenty of stories in mags and anthologies that were from a world the author also wrote novels for. But they do have to work on their own as well.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of stories in mags and anthologies that were from a world the author also wrote novels for. But they do have to work on their own as well.

This has encouraged me tremendously! Thank you :)

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
"Would magazines accept stories about characters in an trilogy though? Especially fantasy? Like, for example, one of my stories is about how my twin characters are pulling off a heist just before the big heist they try in the book. Another is about the main character's dad and how he started his dragon breeding farm illegally. Would anyone be interested in that? That's what I've been on the fence about."

I don't know the conventions or markets of your genre, but if these stories can stand on their own, outside of the context of the greater work, then, yes, someone could likely be interested in them.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
"Would magazines accept stories about characters in an trilogy though? Especially fantasy? Like, for example, one of my stories is about how my twin characters are pulling off a heist just before the big heist they try in the book. Another is about the main character's dad and how he started his dragon breeding farm illegally. Would anyone be interested in that? That's what I've been on the fence about."

I don't know the conventions or markets of your genre, but if these stories can stand on their own, outside of the context of the greater work, then, yes, someone could likely be interested in them.

Thank you! It's great to get insight into this part of the industry :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

I've sold a few young adult shorts to adult markets. The difference between a story for adults with a teen character and a young adult story can be very thin. To the point that as long as the story fits the general theme and style of a market, you might as well try it.

TheRyustyNail

Registered
Reaction score
Good point. Nothing you write is ever wasted. Every word contributes to your improvement as a writer.