Query Letter: Err toward specificity and details or creating questions that agents want answers to?

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've seen a handful of querying tips say "be as specific as possible!" and have seen another handful of them say "Your main goal is to get the agent to read the book - introduce a couple of questions that they just HAVE to know the answer to."

In some cases, those two things can be at odds with each other. What if you get to a point where you could withhold some information and hopefully make the agent think, "I have to know!" OR, you could give that information so as to be more specific and give a better feel of the context of the overall plot.

Which side would you err on and why? Thanks!

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Usually they want the query to read sort of like the back book cover copy, without telling the ending, and leaving them wanting to read more.

As for "specific" you should be specific about word count, genre, why you are querying them (if you have a good reason), that sort of thing.

Hope that helps some.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The right specifics, not random ones, and clear conflict or stakes or choice for the protagonist.

I doubt any agent thinks "I wonder how it ends?" But I bet agents look for a savvy writer who can, communicate in their query that there will be a choice/stakes in the book.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Your query is first and foremost a sales letter and its purpose is to entice the agent to read your book. The main body of your query answers the question 'what is this story about?' and your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to answer that question in as intriguing a manner as you can without going overboard. You might want to check out the thread "Successful Queries" to see how your fellow AWers did that.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You need the right specifics to create the right questions. Finding the balance is the key.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score