Windows 7 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldlago

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone use an older computer with a Windows 7 operating system? What do you think will happen in January? My guess is nothing catastrophic, like the Y2K scare.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Your PC will continue to work as before. There won't be any security and bug patches anymore. This means the following:

1. Windows 7 bugs will no longer be fixed
  2. Your PC will become more susceptible to hacker attacks over time
  3. Today's software & hardware you buy today is not guaranteed to work on Windows 7.
  4. Some of your existing 3rd party software could stop working properly as you upgrade to their newer versions or receive patches.
  5. It will be difficult to replace / upgrade hardware because some of the newer hardware do not offer Win 7 support.

The biggest danger for someone who will use a frozen version of software is the path for file conversion in the future. Microsoft Write anyone?

-cb

Last edited:

delb0y

Registered
Reaction score
My Win 10 laptop packed up and now I have a borrowed Windows 7 laptop. But there's so much software this one won't run. I even bought MS Office and it won't load on this. Might be time to invest in a new one if support is finally being pulled.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using Windows since Win95. They stop supporting versions of Windows. I use Win 7 now, and I am not worried. My ISP offers Norton Security Suite for free. It patches everything that needs patching, updates virus definitions, and has a GREAT firewall against attacks.

See if your ISP offers a free antivirus (if you do not have one). Just keep it updated, if you want to continue using Win7, and you should be fine. I cannot gaurantee anything though.

I remember when they did this with Windows 98 and XP. Not a big deal.

Jillian

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the question and the replies, as I also have Windows 7 (came with the computer). Changes are so confusing. I also have Microsoft Home and Office 2007, and evidently have to change that.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I have a windows7 desktop. I was going to convert to 10, but my new monitor was not compatable. Sooooo. I have a new W10 lapsop and was going to toss the desktop, but I'm going to wait and see. I have free Norton Security Suite on it. I may just use the wordprossessor and the laptop for the internet.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
As everybody has pointed out , you wont have any problem for a wile , maybe years . A lot depends on what you use the machine for. If you just use it as a word processor and keep internet access to a minimum you could keep it until it has a physical beak down. I know a number people that are still using windows 95 . I had a old mac that I used with word 2000, but in the end the hard drive packed-up , a common problem with macs. A cheep way to revive old computers is to put Linux on them .

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the question and the replies, as I also have Windows 7 (came with the computer). Changes are so confusing. I also have Microsoft Home and Office 2007, and evidently have to change that.

You may not have to change your Microsoft Home Office 2007 if you have the disks; iow, it's supposed to be compatible per the Microsoft website so check there for compatibility issues, if any. (My OS is Windows 10 and I'm still using Microsoft Office Pro 2003 with no problems.)

ldlago

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to this. As far as my own writing, I break stories down into smaller segments, and as I complete a segment, I print it. It's all as tightly edited as I can possibly make it (though I'm certain a professional editor will find flaws), and I'd hate to lose anything I've worked so hard on. I think Microsoft is trying to scare people into upgrading to Windows 10. I don't believe anything catastrophic will happen in January, but then I don't believe in Hell either. You take your chances.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to this. As far as my own writing, I break stories down into smaller segments, and as I complete a segment, I print it. It's all as tightly edited as I can possibly make it (though I'm certain a professional editor will find flaws), and I'd hate to lose anything I've worked so hard on. I think Microsoft is trying to scare people into upgrading to Windows 10. I don't believe anything catastrophic will happen in January, but then I don't believe in Hell either. You take your chances.

Dude. This is normal practice for operating systems. Microsoft has been doing this for at least thirty years. All it means is that you won't be able to update Windows.

Newer apps and app versions will appear that will not run on your version of Windows. You will need to be careful about not updating an app to a version that won't run on Windows 7.

Backup your data in multiple ways including backups that aren't on your computer.

And stop treating a normal software practice like it's a conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.