Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“In October, a maple tree before your window
lights up your room like a great lamp.
Even on cloudy days,
its presence helps to dispel the gloom.”

— John Burroughs

Welcome to the October goals thread! It's time to put down in writing what you hope to accomplish in the next 31 days - including deciding if you want to participate in this year's NaNoWriMo. We're all here to cheer, encourage and commiserate, so don't be shy - state those goals!

Many of my goals for the month are continuing, or incomplete tasks from September, so some of this looks familiar. I'm on the fence about NaNo myself - I feel like I NEED to do it so I'll stop dithering and dawdling over my current WIP, but there's also a good chance I'll be making an overseas trip in November, which I know will put a cramp in my participation. This month I'm also re-releasing Book 4 of my series, and once that's out I can focus on the prequel, which is waiting in the wings with a planned early-December debut. (I've spent so much time this year picking up the pieces from my publisher's late 2018 demise that the idea of putting out a book that doesn't have their fingerprints all over it is positively freeing.) I have two more weeks to go in my current show, plus a concert, plus a workshop reading, a retirement seminar and a couple of parties, so October is going to be a busy, busy time.

What's on your agenda for the month?

[ ] Write 3k words on Book 5 of my series - 0 out of 3,000
[ ] Read three books - 0 of 3

[ ] Publish Book 4
[ ] Decide on promo for Book 4 release
[ ] Finish writing back cover blurb for prequel
[ ] Submit prequel blurb and other front/back material to formatter
[ ] Approve cover design for prequel (maybe - depends on designer schedule)

[ ] Get 1 hour of exercise every week - 0 of 4
[ ] Take 3 nature walks - 0 of 3
[ ] Lose 3 pounds - 0 of 3

[ ] Decide on NaNo participation

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'll join in for October. Thanks for starting this every month!

[ ] work through copy edits

[ ] Finalize the final map, finally (so close...)

[ ] send everything to formatter (thanks again for the recommendation, Mrs. Mig!)

[ ] Cover art... to completion? I don't know how long this will take.

[ ] Beta feedback, Sisters (prequel novella 1 for website)

[ ] work through The Vastol Vendetta (prequel novella 2 for website)

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Hello October! My goals always look the same. Read books, query S&M, continue writing Haven.

My year goal for stories is on track so far for drafting new stories (9 done for 9 months) but I'm 2 behind on editing. So this month will be write a new story, then edit it (hopefully in time for an anthology deadline). Then edit another story as well. Naturally, I chose a long one, so this might be hard.

I want to do some more on Alyssa, but given the above editing goals, I'm only aiming for one chapter. Got a short holiday coming up this month, so my daily goals are for every day except that holiday.

Otherwise the only new goal is to decide on what I'm doing for NaNoWriMo! I'm not a big planner, but having something more than... nothing... is always useful.

And, having done my new shiny goals yesterday, I sat down to do my writing day and didn't feel like doing any of it. I managed to drag some stuff together in the end - started writing the story, started editing another - but I think I probably spent an hour of my four staring blankly at documents >> Also did some transcription, which isn't on the goals list, but is a nice brain-dead thing to do.

Game crafting stuff will be a bonus since I don't actually need to do any game stuff for this month.

1. Read five books.
2. Write and edit anthology story.
3. Edit one other story.
4. Decide on NaNoWriMo story.
5. Query S&M.
6. Continue writing Haven.
7. Edit one chapter of Alyssa.
8. Write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week, except for when on holiday. So far!
9. Bake a thing.
Bonus: Game Crafting/Planning.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to prep for NaNoWriMo by getting into the write-every-day spirit. I'm doing so with a story I'm going to be posting a chapter of every few days, which hopefully will build up my confidence (if not an audience).

I've also gotten back into watching shows, or at least magical girl anime so I feel like exploring more should give me plenty of inspiration. Also finishing Futari wa Pretty Cure.

[ ] Write every day! (3/31)
[ ] Upload chapters of My Mom's a Magical Girl?!! (2/16)
[ ] Finish Futari wa Pretty Cure! [19/49]
[ ] Decide on a new show to watch! [0/1]
[ ] Read books! [0/3]

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, everyone! Onward into October!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
My to do list for this month is, as usual, way too freaking long. But I did already tackle some important items from my list!

• [ ] Contact font designer for the book cover of A Monstrous Beauty, now that the design itself is finished.
  • [ ] Finish writing part two of A Monstrous Beauty.
  • [ ] Make A Monstrous Beauty available for preorder on Amazon.
  • [ ] Format and prepare the paperback of A Monstrous Beauty.
  • [X] Finish writing short story / novella for the Witching Hour: Zodiac Anthology (the zodiac sign I got signed up for is Aries!)
  • [ ] Finish writing the manuscript for The Wolf of the Baskervilles (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes #3).
  • [ ] First round of editing for The Wolf of the Baskervilles (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes #3).
  • [ ] Write first part of Sleeping Beauty Retelling (still untitled).
  • [ ] Edit first part of Sleeping Beauty Retelling for a box set I’m participating in.
  • [X] Finish writing manuscript for Wicked Blood (Blood Witch Series #1).
  • [X] Edit manuscript for Wicked Blood (Blood Witch Series #1).
  • [] Promote Wicked Blood (Blood Witch Series #1) on release day of the box set.
  • [ ] Send out newsletter for this month.
  • [ ] Write outline for Wonderland Wars, villain book (still untitled).
  • [ ] Write outline for Wonderland Wars, hero book (still untitled).
  • [ ] Update information about my books on Goodreads and forums I requent.
  • [ ] Set up the first book in the Academy for the Wicked series for preorder.
  • [ ] Promote the box set I’m part of with the prequel novella to Academy for the Wicked.
  • [ ] Write at least two posts per week on my blog (total: 1/8).
  • [ ] Review three books for Ind’Tale Magazine (total: 0/3).
  • [ ] Finish rewriting Symphony of the Departed (Allegro Academy #1).

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write a single word on my WIP this week. It was an extraordinarily busy seven days and it ain't over yet. Show closes tomorrow, and while I could happily perform this role for another month or more, I think others are tired and ready to move on.

Most of this week was spent finishing the back cover copy for the prequel, completing other fiddlywork associated with sending the book off to be formatted, and finally republishing Book 4. The only promo I did was to reduce the price permanently on the first book in the series, and make a couple of Twitter/Facebook posts about the release. Just couldn't get excited about it. The whole republishing thing has been such a grind and I'm so glad it's over.

Needless to say there were no nature walks and no exercise - unless you count endless climbs up and down stairs at the theatre.

[ ] Write 3k words on Book 5 of my series - 496 out of 3,000
[ ] Read three books - 1 of 3

[x] Publish Book 4
[x] Decide on promo for Book 4 release
[x] Finish writing back cover blurb for prequel
[x] Submit prequel blurb and other front/back material to formatter

[ ] Get 1 hour of exercise every week - 0 of 4

[x] Decide on NaNo participation - not this year :tongue

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig - ouch :(

Week one has gotten off to a decent start for me. I've drafted the new story! Haven't started official editing yet, but there were notes I took while drafting for fixing the start (the end just kind of meanders off at the moment). I'll let that sit until the second half of the month though.

Otherwise I made a little bit of progress on editing the second story, and I've done a little bit of Haven writing. Also did some of the meant to be bonus game stuff >> But I have a very cute campfire and cart and some words?

No Alyssa as yet, and only vague ideas for NaNoWriMo. Reading is terrible. I'm halfway through The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones, but that's it. Half a children's book in a week. Woops.

1. Read five books. 0/5
2. Write and edit anthology story. Written, not edited.
3. Edit one other story. Started.
4. Decide on NaNoWriMo story. Nope.
5. Query S&M. Nope.
6. Continue writing Haven. Tinsy bit.
7. Edit one chapter of Alyssa. Nope.
8. Write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week, except for when on holiday. So far!
9. Bake a thing. Not yet.
Bonus: Game Crafting/Planning. Uh. Yes.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I nano'd last year and in the end didn't use the words. I won't do that this year, though I might write a little more, it will depend.

Week one was OK here. I'v not finished any goals but of the six I've made progress on two, so that's a start.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hi folks! Feels like a while since I've been around, but I'm climbing out of a mental health hole and getting ready to conquer October's challenges.

• Lose 1lb
  • Go to the gym once
  • Scottish Witches: prepare sample
    • Scottish witches: reread and revise outline
    • Scottish witches: complete chapter 1
    • Scottish witches: complete chapter 2
    • Scottish witches: complete chapter 3
    • Send Scottish Witches to betas
    • Send Scottish Witches to agent

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, EMaree!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
An update already. I've been hiding in my writing cave for the last few days, but I've made some progress...

• [ ] Contact font designer for the book cover of A Monstrous Beauty, now that the design itself is finished.
  • [ ] Finish writing part two of A Monstrous Beauty.
  • [ ] Make A Monstrous Beauty available for preorder on Amazon.
  • [ ] Format and prepare the paperback of A Monstrous Beauty.
  • [X] Finish writing short story / novella for the Witching Hour: Zodiac Anthology (the zodiac sign I got signed up for is Aries!)
  • [ ] Finish writing the manuscript for The Wolf of the Baskervilles (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes #3).
  • [ ] First round of editing for The Wolf of the Baskervilles (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes #3).
  • [X] Write first part of Sleeping Beauty Retelling (still untitled).
  • [X] Edit first part of Sleeping Beauty Retelling for a box set I’m participating in.
  • [X] Finish writing manuscript for Wicked Blood (Blood Witch Series #1).
  • [X] Edit manuscript for Wicked Blood (Blood Witch Series #1).
  • [X] Promote Wicked Blood (Blood Witch Series #1) on release day of the box set.
  • [X] Send out newsletter for this month.
  • [ ] Write outline for Wonderland Wars, villain book (still untitled).
  • [ ] Write outline for Wonderland Wars, hero book (still untitled).
  • [ ] Update information about my books on Goodreads and forums I requent.
  • [ ] Set up the first book in the Academy for the Wicked series for preorder.
  • [ ] Promote the box set I’m part of with the prequel novella to Academy for the Wicked.
  • [ ] Write at least two posts per week on my blog (total: 1/8).
  • [ ] Review three books for Ind’Tale Magazine (total: 0/3).
  • [ ] Finish rewriting Symphony of the Departed (Allegro Academy #1).

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Argh...so brain dead that instead of using the "reply with quote" button on last week's post to update my goals for this week, I mistakenly used the "edit post" option. So last week's progress report has been replaced with this week's. Apologies for messing up the chronology, folks.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
:) Hope you get some good sleep, Mrs. Mig.

I just realized most of my goals are actually work that other people are doing--heeheehee. Not all of them, but about half. I like this. It's much more restful when your goals are based on other people's efforts. :)

Good progress at the halfway mark of the month--

[ XX ] work through copy edits

[ XX ] Finalize the final map, finally

[ XX ] send everything to formatter

[ ] Cover art... to completion? I don't know how long this will take. (Artist is working on second iteration.)

[ ] Beta feedback, Sisters (prequel novella 1 for website)

[ ] work through The Vastol Vendetta (prequel novella 2 for website) About halfway through it. :)

I'll add on another goal since I've been such a lump on the couch as I've gotten the final computer-based work done for this novel...

[ ] Five hours or more aerobic exercise per week for the remainder of the month. <-- That'll be tough this week since I've lost Sunday already and we're traveling at week's end. But that's what goals are for, right?

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Week 2 and I just got back from holiday. So I have done nothing at all over the last week. I considered writing on the plane, then I watched movies and played game instead.

Oh, I did finish my book!

Good holiday though, and I took advantage of being away for the week to get my computer fixed (fan trouble, noise was driving me insane). Now I need to work out how to get back into the writing to tackle my suddenly looming goals.

1. Read five books. 1/5
4. Decide on NaNoWriMo story. Nope.
5. Query S&M. Nope.
6. Continue writing Haven. Tinsy bit.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was my first week off after the close of my show, and I must admit it's been both enjoyable and fruitful. I did a fair amount of work around the house, including "putting up" a gallon of fresh tomato sauce, changing over my closets and getting rid of a BUNCH of stuff I don't wear anymore, cleaning up the yard, feeding my birds and foxes and getting the Halloween decorations up, plus a bunch of months-neglected housework. And I actually got some writing done, too. I didn't get any walks in (maybe today if I get inspired), although I'm counting the yard work as exercise.

I had a good chat Monday with my friend in Sweden I'll be visiting next month. He's proposed a couple of side trips to Estonia (Tallin) and Finland (Helsinki). We're going by boat and I couldn't be more excited about that. It's far too soon to start packing, but he did give me some tips, e.g. bring good walking shoes, a day excursion bag and clothing that can be layered. So I'm going to be focused on that for the next two weeks.

[ ] Write 3k words on Book 5 of my series - 1,594 out of 3,000

[x] Publish Book 4

[ ] Get 1 hour of exercise every week - 1 of 4

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Mrs. Mig--congrats on the progress. Tamlyn--good to hear about your traveling and congrats on finishing your book!

Me: Medium progress at the 3/4 mark of the month--

[ XX ] send everything to formatter

[ ] Cover art... to completion? I don't know how long this will take. (Artist is still working on second iteration.)

[ XX ] Beta feedback, Sisters (prequel novella 1 for website)

[ ] work through The Vastol Vendetta (prequel novella 2 for website) About 3/4 through it. :)

[ ] Five hours or more aerobic exercise per week for the remainder of the month. (four hours last week, but I don't know what I will accomplish this week. So, a partial win, and still trying...)

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Week 3 and I'm sick! Again! Which isn't surprising, with plane travel and all, but I'd really like to stop getting sick. Also have some kind of maybe-carpal tunnel going on, and numb/sore fingers just make life difficult in general.

So I haven't gotten much done this week and I'm about ready to write off the month and just play games. Everything I write is crap anyway *grumble grumble* (okay, maybe not everything, but I think I'm in this mood more than I'm out of these days). I did decide on NaNo (hopefully my fingers/wrist will be well enough to manage NaNo...). It's not a sensible decision - it's a fairly standard Cinderella retelling, nothing new there - and I don't know if I have enough story for a novel. But I want to write it anyway. I may change my mind in the next week.

I started the editing on the anthology story, since I still want to get that done, but my throat hurts after two pages, so I will work on it slowly. (Editing at this stage requires me reading aloud.)

I finished another book. Summer Ghosts by Louise Elliott. Another YA ghost book. This was a favourite of mine when I was younger, and it was a bit bumpy with the writing, but I still like it. Next I started on The Haunting of Sophie Bartholomew. Guess what? It's an old ghost book too! Middle-grade though, so another adjustment to the reading necessary. Apparently I am in the mood for ghosts and don't have the brain for anything complicated. I'd blame the illness, but that's pretty normal reading for me these days.

I am doing lots of crafting. It's often crap too, but it's allowed to be :)

1. Read five books. 2/5
4. Decide on NaNoWriMo story. Yes.
5. Query S&M. Nope.
6. Continue writing Haven. Little bit.
8. Write/edit each day, with one dedicated writing day per week, except for when on holiday. Days, yes, dedicated day, no.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's October, Tamlyn! What better time for ghost stories? :e2bouncey

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Crafting is awesome. I was walking home today and kept passing piles of pine needles and thinking "there's a lot of baskets there on the side of the road."

Just popping in to say the second draft of the cover showed up and the interior formatting is moving forward and it's ALL SO EXCITING!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray, Patty! Looking forward to seeing the final results in your signature one day soon!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A slow-ish week. I had some form of tummy bug Monday-Tuesday, which unfortunately coincided with a private reading of a musical at a theatre where I'd very much like to do a full production. On the plus side, it was a musical I already know, which put me well ahead of most of the other participants. At least it gave me something to focus on besides my unhappy innards. It's since passed and I feel mostly back to normal.

Got a wee bit of writing done - enough to hit the 2/3 mark on that goal - and I don't why I can't make my 3k goal in the next five days, since I've nothing in particular going on.

My current book is very slow going. I read several pages a night and it's interesting, but I only just passed the halfway point and I doubt I'll finish it before the end of the month. I've been making a list of ebooks I want to buy for my upcoming trip and I'm tempted to dip into that early and read something a bit more pacey.

I got a couple of brisk walks this week, so I'm calling my weekly exercise goal met.

Onward to the end of October, everyone!

[ ] Write 3k words on Book 5 of my series - 1,999 out of 3,000

[x] Publish Book 4

[ ] Get 1 hour of exercise every week - 2 of 4

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Slow progress here too but hoping to complete something by tonight.

[ XX ] send everything to formatter (This goal has been EXCEEDED beautifully--she's working on the last edits to the print format. Conceivably I'll have all formatted files by the end of the month.)

[ x ] Cover art... to completion? I don't know how long this will take. (Artist is still working on second iteration.)

[ XX ] Beta feedback, Sisters (prequel novella 1 for website)

[ XX ] work through The Vastol Vendetta (prequel novella 2 for website) Yes! Just crossed the finish line. What a relief. The main bones are solid, and the voice is getting there. 15, 703 words.

[ x ] Five hours or more aerobic exercise per week for the remainder of the month. (FAILING on this--two hours last week and four the previous. A+, for effort. C- for achievement.

There've been fires. That's my excuse. I think I smell the Getty Fire from my house even though it's 30 miles away. So, you know, air quality. That's it. I'm not getting my exercise because of the air quality. Yeah. It's not laziness at all.)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Patty - stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.