Trump Invokes Civil War as Consequence of Impeachment

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump highlighted one quote from a longtime evangelical pastor warning of particularly dire consequences if the Democrats follow through.
“If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause a Civil War like fracture in this Nation from which our Country will never heal,” Trump tweeted, adding his own parenthetical to a quote from Robert Jeffress, a Southern Baptist preacher speaking on “Fox & Friends Weekend” on Sunday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ar-tweet-jeffress-draws-backlash-critics-gop/

His outlandish tweet pronouncements are beginning to upset even GOP memebers. I guess we'll see. Is this the president endorsing armed uprising in the face of legal challenges? This guy needs to spend his retirement is prison.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
His outlandish tweet pronouncements are beginning to upset even GOP memebers. I guess we'll see. Is this the president endorsing armed uprising in the face of legal challenges? This guy needs to spend his retirement is prison.

One thng I saw this morning that worried me a little: until he's removed, he's still CIC of the military. I'd like to think that'd be a bridge too far for enough congresscritters, but I'm not sure how much damage he could do until then.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Threatening Congress with a Civil War and suggesting the arrest a leading senator for treason are official White House policies.

-cb

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
You may want to trust me on this, because it's disturbing to watch while he's still in power, but it seems the only item on the presidential agenda for the day is "Tweet treasonous, paranoid gibberish." He's trying to get #FakeWhistleblower to trend. I've lost count of his tweets/hour rate but it's climbing. When I say "worse than usual," I am understating.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've said it (probably too) many times, but: It's not his erratic autocratic behaviors that truly trouble me. It's that his public support is still above zero at this point.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
That is terribly concerning. But I worry about both because he still has the power of the presidency and the support of the GOP. I'd say it's puzzling that they don't care when his support drops, but they've sledge-hammered election security. We don't have truly free elections anymore (though voter suppression of marginalized populations has always been an issue), and are in some ways already a dictatorship. The GOP owns the Supreme Court now. If they don't care about his approval rating now, I'm not sure there's a number that would spur them to action. I see signs that some Congress members and others in the GOP are getting nervous, but I am not sure rock-bottom approval numbers have enough impact anymore.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be clear, what I meant by being most bothered by his polling is that it shows how many Americans fully, enthusiastically endorse an ignorant wealthy racist autocrat. So even after Tmurp is gone, the next dumpster-fire the GOP advances will find that same level of support, and our democracy will continue to circle the bowl.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
To be clear, what I meant by being most bothered by his polling is that it shows how many Americans fully, enthusiastically endorse an ignorant wealthy racist autocrat. So even after Tmurp is gone, the next dumpster-fire the GOP advances will find that same level of support, and our democracy will continue to circle the bowl.
I agree completely. And it's an important point. Helps me keep focus on local elections and keeping the advocacy organizations healthy and funded, while I worry. I almost cannot believe where we are, but then I can if I think about history.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
You may want to trust me on this, because it's disturbing to watch while he's still in power, but it seems the only item on the presidential agenda for the day is "Tweet treasonous, paranoid gibberish." He's trying to get #FakeWhistleblower to trend. I've lost count of his tweets/hour rate but it's climbing. When I say "worse than usual," I am understating.

It is trending. It’s got 31.9 thousand tweets.

Nixon supporters made the exact same claims, including oddly eager threats of a new Civil War.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

Nixon supporters made the exact same claims, including oddly eager threats of a new Civil War.
Oh, wow, it is. Phew, at least most I'm seeing are sane, mocking the hashtag, though I wish it would have just died. I despise that "fake news" caught on. We don't have to pick up every shiny toy. Even the humorous Civil War hashtags just don't feel funny right now.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is the thing about him that worries me the most.

That and the GOP pretense that he's a normal conservative POTUS whom the Left opposes simply for his political stances.

This man is not normal, and it's become pretty clear he has fantasies of riding a revolutionary wave to a perpetual regime.

I don't think it would gain traction, but it could certainly lead to rioting and a great deal of harm.

The difference is Nixon himself wasn't the one leading the charge back then. As far as I know, he never suggested Civil War was a serious possibility himself, and he never suggested that anyone involved in the inquiry be arrested for treason.

Not defending Nixon, who was a class 1 sleazebag, but even he retained some respect for our country's institutions and the rule of law. Or maybe he realized in the end he didn't have a leg to stand on and he wouldn't have much support if he continued to fight.

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In general, Americans like simple answers. I think they prefer wrong simple answers to correct complex answers. Tmurp embodies simple answers. History? Tmurp supporters ain't got no time for no history lessons. (why I call him Tmurp now (image))

I'd still like to think impeachment is the right thing to do. I don't think it'll pass in the Senate. (I think the GOP learned their lesson there: Never ever admit to wrong-doing if it hurts the brand.) But I do think it will hurt them in the 2020 elections. Maybe not enough to overcome voter suppression though. Sigh.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is typical Trump, he's been doing it for decades. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any other coping skills. Before he was in office he didn't just fire people, he threatened to or did sue anyone that angered him. And of course, threatening to sue was intended to get the victim to stop whatever they were doing that Trump wants stopped.

If you impeach me
You'll all be sorry because I'm the best POTUS in the world and all those benefits I gave you will go away.
I'll have you all put in jail for treason.
A civil war will start.​

Yep, the art of the deal.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, now he's threatening the whole country and it's just Monday. He has the nukes, so what do you want to bet he threatens the world by Thursday?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The Daily Stormer is rallying the troops. (I won't link, but it's only a google-search away.) That's why the civilwarsignups hashtag isn't funny. Too many people would be more than happy to wade in, guns ablazin'.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This is the thing about him that worries me the most.

That and the GOP pretense that he's a normal conservative POTUS whom the Left opposes simply for his political stances.

This man is not normal, and it's become pretty clear he has fantasies of riding a revolutionary wave to a perpetual regime.

I don't think it would gain traction, but it could certainly lead to rioting and a great deal of harm.

The difference is Nixon himself wasn't the one leading the charge back then. As far as I know, he never suggested Civil War was a serious possibility himself, and he never suggested that anyone involved in the inquiry be arrested for treason.

Not defending Nixon, who was a class 1 sleazebag, but even he retained some respect for our country's institutions and the rule of law. Or maybe he realized in the end he didn't have a leg to stand on and he wouldn't have much support if he continued to fight.

It looked to me as though Nixon cared about the appearance of respectability.

He was every bit as crooked and criminal as our current White House squatter, but he wanted Middle America or the Silent Majority or whatever his men wanted to call them to think he was respectable.

I don't think Nixon had any respect whatsoever for the institutions of our nation or the rule of law, as readily demonstrated by his breathtaking criminality and self-justification and his martyr complex.

Nixon wanted to look good in the eyes of what he though of as the only people whose good opinion mattered.

Nixon spoke pious words about laws and justice (while signing off on brutal crimes) because he lusted for the praise of Good Church People.

But I don't believe he had any respect for them, really.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The Daily Stormer is rallying the troops. (I won't link, but it's only a google-search away.) That's why the civilwarsignups hashtag isn't funny. Too many people would be more than happy to wade in, guns ablazin'.

I think there are a lot of people who like to fantasize that they would do this, who think they would be happy to do it.

But taking up arms and killing people is harder than people realize.

There was no popular uprising after Nixon, despite a lot of big talk before.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

I do not think guns are a good addition to all of this. But it is a constant puzzlement to me that Certain Groups assume none of the country's millions of gun owners are liberals - and assume that all non-liberal gun owners would somehow be willing to take to the streets over this.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Like the militia losers who took over that Oregon building in the middle of nowhere, forgot to bring food and surrendered at the first sign of trouble?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody want to take a sucker bet?

Someone with more guns and ammo than brains will take up arms and try to kick start the Second Civil War by going somewhere and killing a lot of people who shouldn't be dying prematurely but will because Trump is calling for it. This isn't the first time Trump has warned of dire consequences should be defeated or impeached. This isn't the first time Trump has called for someone to be arrested and put on trial for treason, a crime that is punishable by death.

This isn't the first time Trump suggested that if you challenge him you should die.

So why is anybody surprised? This is who he is and this is why his supporters support him. They want what he wants. They want the traitors and the libs and the non-Whites and non-straights and non-Christians and non-Trump base to be cast out, incarcerated or lined up against a wall and shot.

Trump has already dropped some broad hints should he lose in 2020, he might not peacefully turn over power. Who's to say he might not cancel the whole damn election because of some made-up national emergency? Or maybe it won't be made-up. Maybe it will be a Wag the Dog type thang and if that reference is lost on you, then you should find out what it is because I can see it happening and if you think Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell and McCarthy and the Supreme Court or the Pentagon are going to come riding to the rescue of the U.S.A., you are high.

The revolution will not be televised. It will be live-streamed in streets running red in rivers of blood.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Plenty of jackasses have tried to kickstart Civil War 2*, like Charles Manson, Ammon Bundy, and like 85% of mass shooters.

Problem is, none of them were directly ordered to by the president!

*funny how they seem to forgot they lost that one

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a disturbing thought - Trump doesn't want to be Hitler, who after all died in a bunker after losing the war and murdering millions. He wants to be Francisco Franco, tearing his country apart with a brutal civil war and then ruling as an autocrat for two generations.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I just had a disturbing thought - Trump doesn't want to be Hitler, who after all died in a bunker after losing the war and murdering millions. He wants to be Francisco Franco, tearing his country apart with a brutal civil war and then ruling as an autocrat for two generations.

I would agree if I thought he had the slightest clue who Franco is. But the one book he had in his house was Mein Kampf. I think the thinks he can do better than Hitler, because "losers don't get captured (or die)."

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Not quite time to get drunk and dance in the kitchen but the lights are back on. Lies, bluster, threats and self pity are no strategy against cold, hard facts. Pelosi has the facts she needs. She was not going to move without them. And now she is moving fast. Trump's daydreaming about his base grabbing their guns and coming to his aid is an eight year olds response to having his hand spanked.--s6

Last edited: