• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Second Opinion for Dialog in WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, hello. :welcome:

I debated here or SYW, and decided here would be best since I'd like to work with a consistent someone (or someones).

Title says it all, project is not nearly complete. I had to stop because the colloquial speech of the first act is inconsistent with the progress of the second. I'd overhaul it all myself, but... I need a 'sense-check'. There's a specific ratio of nonsense-to-understanding that I need to achieve and maintain.

Ideally, 60:40 - 60% do not care, do not get, frustrationbait; 40% yeah, ok, I get these words.

Now, this WIP - is NOT for sensitive people, or ones who prefer being PC. It takes place in itsown sci-fantasy universe, and it strictly sticks to it. It is entirely possible to come into this with present day PC/real world flavor, and end up triggered. If you'd like more details on that, please PM me.

If it turns out you're pretty alright with my literary shenanigans and want to be on board with the development of this project, I would especially appreciate a chapter exchange with some motivational banter. ;)

But, for the duration of our interactions, I'm offering feedback on a WIP of yours, so long as it's of the same primary genres (SF/F), and presentable/up to snuff.

I am NOT beta reading.

Thank you!

~ Shiro

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Are there examples of your work posted somewhere? I'm kinda puzzled what you are seeking...? Almost sounds like you're asking a general question about colloquial dialog and consistency.

If you;re looking for a critique partner, it's sort of customary to provide a blurb and maybe a writing sample.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are there examples of your work posted somewhere? I'm kinda puzzled what you are seeking...? Almost sounds like you're asking a general question about colloquial dialog and consistency.

If you;re looking for a critique partner, it's sort of customary to provide a blurb and maybe a writing sample.

I don't have a question on that subject. I'm looking for a 'test subject' to see how effective it is, and the effects the dialog has on someone who isn't familiar with it. Basically, "Hi! How broken is this English, in your opinion?"

As for blurb and sample... I haven't made a solid blurb for it yet. Primarily due to it being in draft-phases. The premise is:

Dictator enlists son to regain a favorable political standing amid State Government figureheads and key families of White Nationalist Swamp Nation. Son cheats throne from his dad, and in the process gets caught up in the superstitions, rituals, and demands of the Swamp-Born, White Natives. In the end, delusional Son saves his family at great cost to himself. Though his reign is short-lived, he restores dignity to the Natives, and authenticity to the nation.

Writing samples will be provided in PM - sample dialog in question from beginning of WIP, and a sample of where it's currently ended up. :D

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. OK. If you don't get any nibbles here, there are other places online to ask--some of which are pretty good (critters.org will definitely get you feedback but it's set up such that you earn critique credits first.)

For what it's worth I personally usually workshop my early drafts with local in-person groups. The improvements from that practice are the bulk of what I'm looking for. Then, I like finding strangers willing to read, and this is a good place for that, but I want those eyeballs for other reasons (fresh eyes to the story and so on.)

Good luck! Sounds like a very timely piece.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. OK. If you don't get any nibbles here, there are other places online to ask--some of which are pretty good (critter.org will definitely get you feedback but it's set up such that you earn critique credits first.)

For what it's worth I personally usually workshop my early drafts with local in-person groups. The improvements from that practice are the bulk of what I'm looking for. Then, I like finding strangers willing to read, and this is a good place for that, but I want those eyeballs for other reasons (fresh eyes to the story and so on.)

Good luck! Sounds like a very timely piece.

CritterS.org ? Critter.org isn't registered.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Thanks for spotting that--I corrected it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.