• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Little Lamb Publishing / Little Lamb Books

Dondon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to query "Little Lamb Books Publishing" - and I am looking for someone who has had experience with them. Are they legitimate?

https://littlelambbooks.com

I've researched them online, but there seems to be very little out there in terms of author experiences. They seem to be relatively new to the Christian publishing market.

Thanks!
D.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's not much out there to research because they haven't produced much. The company formed in 2015 and states that it puts out 3-5 manuscripts a year (although there are only eight books listed in their website catalog).

Reading between the lines of their FAQ, it appears that they're like most small trade publishers: run mostly by one person (who, per her LinkedIn bio, has no publishing background) with design and editing farmed out to contractors, decent availability via online merchants like Amazon and Barnes & Noble but no brick-and-mortar bookstore presence, no advances, promotion mostly limited to providing ARCs, virtual book tours and a couple of giveaways, and the suggestion that they lean heavily on the author's social media platform for much of their visibility.

Small trade publishers can be a very mixed bag. The problem with most of them is that they're under-capitalized and under-staffed. Very often this leads to the publisher struggling to make ends meet, and eventually folding. Check out the Publisher Index of this sub-forum. All the grayed-out names are publishers that are no longer in business.

It's a good sign that this niche publisher isn't putting out books willy-nilly, but with their limited marketing and distribution, my guess is their sales probably aren't great, either.

P.S. I had a quick look on Amazon at one of their recent (in fact, their only) YA books and it has one glaring formatting issue: chapter headings don't start until Chapter Three (i.e. there is no Chapter One or Chapter Two). Someone at Little Lamb isn't paying attention.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Too many red flags for my comfort. Not one person on their staff has even a hint of a bio on their professional experience in the industry.

One of their titles is 7.99 ebook - 12.99 hard copy on their website, but on Amazon the price is 4.49-7.99. Huh-wha...?

As stated, many small presses are against the wall when it comes to production and experience. They have to be uber picky about who they publish. They do not have the resources available to larger companies to risk themselves with new writers. You want someone who knows what they're doing.

Here's how things work when submitting a book for publication: start at the top with the biggest publisher you can find and work your way down. Never start at the bottom!

Long before you reach a microscopic operation like this, you may well have sold your book.

You do not need a Christian publisher to get a Christian book published. Not that this place may in that number, but many, many scam operations wave the flag and praise Jesus to lure in trusting victims. The tell is if they want money. First they claim the office is buzzing and excited about your book, then they want you signed up fast, have your credit card ready. You don't want to go there.

How to find a legit house for your work?

Go into a bookstore and look for works similar to your own. A Christian bookstore is fine if that is your preference.

Look inside the front matter of similar books, write down the names of those publishers. Look them up in Writer's Market (your library will usually have a copy in the reference section) and check their submission guidelines.

If they want agented submissions only, then drop an email to the writers of similar books and ask who represents them. Most will have websites and may mention their agent there. Do not ask (or hint) for the writers to read your work, that is seen as very rude.

Books in the stores will have been through the editing process, have professional looking covers, and are part of a proper distribution system. Small presses may have good intentions, but the bottom line is can they sell your book for you? You may not care about getting paid, but this is a business. Cake is way better with some frosting on it!

Last edited:

Dondon

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Thank you so much for this super detailed response Donna!! I truly appreciate you taking the time and looking into them for me. I am fairly new to this and truly appreciate your insights!

Dondon

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I truly appreciate your and Donna's generosity in writing such detailed answers. What a great forum! Thank you so much Gillhoughly.
Yes, you are absolutely right... I should stick to the big names for now... I've been querying them for the past 2 years though (big publishers and agents) and so far nothing.... Guess I gotta be more patient.
I'll check out English bookstores in my city as you suggest (I live in Switzerland). That might give me new leads indeed.
Thanks again!
D.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Querying for two years sparks one major question: are you rewriting and polishing when rejections come in?

I shopped my first book for 2 years and got 25 rejections. Every single time it came back I tried to look at the MS with fresh eyes and figure out what it was that caused the rejection. Then I'd do a rewrite. Usually the 1st chapter, three full rewrites of the whole book over that period--and with a manual typewriter, so no groaning! It's part of the job. :)

I would suggest you check the Share Your Work forum after you work up enough posts to qualify or ask for beta readers to swap manuscripts. Having fresh eyes and feedback are a necessary part of the process.

In the meantime, be writing the next book and the next to keep your head from exploding. Kid lit is the hardest kind of writing there is and not for the faint hearted. Your heart and soul are in it, but the bottom line is that publishers, even Christian publishers, are looking for something that will make them money.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
That name. :rolleyes:

Dondon

Registered
Reaction score
In the meantime, be writing the next book and the next to keep your head from exploding. Kid lit is the hardest kind of writing there is and not for the faint hearted. Your heart and soul are in it, but the bottom line is that publishers, even Christian publishers, are looking for something that will make them money.

So very true! :)

I just received a very nice rejection e-mail yesterday from an agent, saying they loved my ideas and language, but they think they would have trouble finding a place for them in the market place... So I guess it's not how I write.... but what I write.... so I now I gotta figure out what I do with that.... Keep trying till I find a publisher willing to give my kind of stories a chance... or change my style completely, which I am not sure I am ready to do yet...

Any thoughts?

Best,
D.