Adding to the beginning

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to start my novel with a bang: a fight scene in which the MC's boyfriend gets beaten into a coma. The bulk of the beginning of the novel is about her going after his soul, which was shunted out of him. Do you think this would work, or will readers not immediately care about any of the characters? If the latter, how much development should I add before the fight?

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
How might I create empathy for the boyfriend? I've been told recently that flashbacks are risky, but do you think some pertaining to the relationship between him and the MC would be appropriate?

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think just his being beaten into a coma is enough to garner him empathy. I happen to use a flashback in both of my works, and as long as they don't consume so much of a chapter that it dominates it or throws it out of its rhythm, you should be good.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
By the time you come to revising, you may decide a total rework of the beginning is needed, so I would write what you want to write at this stage and wouldn't worry about it. You can smooth out the edges on later revisions, by which time you should have a sounder grasp of the story.