Not open for further replies.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Relevant details: I'm writing SF with an isolated population that's got a fair amount of knowledge but limited resources/equipment.

A bit of worldbuilding I’m considering now involves cancer treatments. I have two questions:

1) Is it plausible that some (clearly not all) chemotherapy drugs could be synthesized only from plants? (The amount of tech they have is malleable, but I don’t want it to seem absurd.)

2) Could a population, over a number of centuries, develop a resistance to those chemotherapy drugs, and hence suffer an upsurge in fatalities from the types of cancers previously treated with some success?

I’ve been merrily googling how chemo drugs are manufactured, but I don’t want to head down this path if it’s not plausible on its face. I can invent all kinds of technology, but cells are cells.

(I have also considerd pursing We’ve Introduced Something Bad Because We Tried Gene Editing And Screwed Up, but having the tech for gene editing feels like a bit of a stretch to me, especially since I posit they don’t have tools delicate enough to make microchips. Which I could also change if I had to, I suppose.)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Don't know about the second question, but the first is plausible. Off the top of my head: compounds derived from yew (Taxus) and Madagascar periwinkle (Vinca) are used in chemotherapy. Blushwood (Fontainea picrosperma) is being investigated as a potential anti-cancer agent. (I don't know where that one is at the moment. Last I heard, they were hoping to move into clinical trials.)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's plausible—for the reasons Helix mentions—and you might find more of the information you're looking for at NCBI starting with "Medicinal Plants and Cancer Chemoprevention". Of particular interest might be section 2: MEDICINAL PLANTS AND CANCER.

As explained to me by my spouse's oncologist, cancer cells that are not killed by chemo can mutate and become resistant to the chemo in that person. I wouldn't know how that chemoresistance might translate in an entire population, though. It might be dependent on the type of cancer and its cause.

ETA: We know certain cultural populations are remarkably free of specific types of cancer (comparatively speaking) and it's believed this is because of diet. So another approach if viable for your MS might be that segments of your population might no longer adhere to traditional diets which have been preventive. With the reason for those diets having been lost to time, new research hasn't yet explored or is only beginning to explore the dietary connection. (Just a thought.)

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Individuals (or their cancers, rather) can and do develop resistance to cancer drugs. It's why cancers can be harder and harder to treat when they recur and the arsenal of new drugs that effectively target that particular cancer runs dry. The mechanism is similar to what we see with infectious agents developing resistance, with the cells that resist the drug best surviving the treatment and continuing to grow (or being stunned temporarily but not killed, then starting to grow again), causing a recurrence of a cancer that has been knocked down for a while.

Cancer cells often accumulate multiple mutations as they divide very quickly and generally have mechanisms to repair DNA damage as well, so new drug resistant mutations can develop in a population within a patient too.

I don't think a population level resistance to a particular cancer drug is likely, however. Doxorubicin (one of the "workhorse" chemotherapy drugs), for instance, can lose its effectiveness over time in a particular patient, but it hasn't lost its power as a chemotherapy drug for other patients after decades of use by oncologists.

Cancers arise in individuals spontaneously as a consequence of gene mutations in their somatic cells. Cancers are not communicable diseases, so you won't have the issue of a person who had some cells with a resistance to a drug passing those cells onto another individual in the same population.

There are a very small number of cancers that are communicable. The ones I know of occur in dogs or in Tasmanian devils, though, not in humans (there may be some rare cancer that works that way in us, however, but I don't know of any offhand). Communicable cancers could potentially develop drug resistance that could spread to other people if the first patient manages to pass cancer cells on after their cancer recurs. I don't know if this has ever been tested in the dog and Tasmanian devil cancers.

The use of particular plants to fight cancer actually goes back a ways, though the effectiveness would have been less without the capacity to isolate the effective compounds and concentrate them. I believe women used Yew bark to fight breast cancer long before the compound taxol was isolated and developed into a drug. There are also fungi that have been shown clinically to improve outcomes for some patients. However, it's not going to be as effective on its own as a more scientifically targeted regimen of more purified drugs. We're starting to learn about why some drugs will have a great effect on a given patient's disease and have little to no benefit for a different patient whose disease looks similar on the surface, but there's a long ways to go.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-dont-prescribe-bark-for-cancer/

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(The cancers associated with STDs are arguably communicable.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sounds like I'm safe with the plants. As for the rest...hrm. I knew about specific cancers being able to become immune to treatment, but I need something that'd work over a larger population, and either be abruptly environmentally systemic or inherited.

Which may steer me back toward gene modification. It's SF; I can posit some tech that will let them do it, I suppose. But then I need to come up with a credible mistake they made, that they still somehow think they can fix (even if they actually can't). Hrm. I don't love that; it's a bit complication ex machina.

I know many (most) the chemo drugs are teratogenic, and some result in permanent fertility issues. The thing is, to survive as long as they have (about 250 years), they'd both know this and have adapted to it. I need something to have changed.

ETA: All of this is in aid of an R&R in which the agent asked me "but why?" and I'm trying to come up with a reason for a fairly swift population crisis. Cancer made sense, because they're living on a planet with a fairly weak magnetosphere, so they're both prone to cancer and well aware of the need to proactively fight it where they can.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(The cancers associated with STDs are arguably communicable.)

You guys are all so smart. You covered all the things I would have said.

I can add to this list:

Hepatitis B viral infection is one of the leading causes of liver cancer in the world.
Epstein-Barr virus can cause lymphoma in immunocompromised persons.
HIV of course leads to viral cancers emerging.
Herpes 8 virus causes kaposi's sarcoma
Human T-lymphotrophic virus-1 (HTLV-1)
Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCV) (That was a new one to me, the rest I've heard of or seen.)​

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like I'm safe with the plants. As for the rest...hrm. I knew about specific cancers being able to become immune to treatment, but I need something that'd work over a larger population, and either be abruptly environmentally systemic or inherited.

Which may steer me back toward gene modification. It's SF; I can posit some tech that will let them do it, I suppose. But then I need to come up with a credible mistake they made, that they still somehow think they can fix (even if they actually can't). Hrm. I don't love that; it's a bit complication ex machina.

I know many (most) the chemo drugs are teratogenic, and some result in permanent fertility issues. The thing is, to survive as long as they have (about 250 years), they'd both know this and have adapted to it. I need something to have changed.

It's fiction, you can give your population a genetic mutation that results in the liver metabolizing said cancer drug before it has a chance to work.

Or people can inherit an allergy to said drug. Speaking from experience, serum sickness caused by a drug you are allergic to (differs from anaphylaxis) means you can never take that drug again if you want to live.

The plants your cancer drug comes from can suffer a massive loss from an infectious agent. That's what caused the potato famine in Ireland. It's why we all worry about Monsanto growing crops that are so genetically similar one new pathogen can wipe them out. Diversity in food crops is a critical thing.

Yay, I had something to add.:tongue

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

<snip>

ETA: All of this is in aid of an R&R in which the agent asked me "but why?" and I'm trying to come up with a reason for a fairly swift population crisis. Cancer made sense, because they're living on a planet with a fairly weak magnetosphere, so they're both prone to cancer and well aware of the need to proactively fight it where they can.

Does it need to be cancer? Is she concerned about the collapsing population?

A population-wide collapse b/c of environmental insult is easy enough to build. (heh. I mean...) I'd go for some tipping-point calculation to do with the temperature on your world--or alternatively in order to deal with the extreme temp they used geo-engineering (or whatever) to tap the planet's heat and volatiles in the mantle are reaching toxic levels in their breathable air. Think along the lines of fracking and how the benzene levels in blood are astronomical in some of these places (non-fiction, US, although the benzene is from the solvents but the idea is a starting point.). I can see a way to give all your people benzene-induced cancer with that--or some other ailment not cancer. Or, they're at the limit of what human's can stand cold -wise, and the temperature just nudged down to a dangerous level. Frostbite, gangrene on a population level...

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Aha!

*snort* Yeah, I'm about to betray my ignorance 'cause I'm not at all science-y. If you're going to go with plant-based chemo and knowing plants are affected by the MF, then what degree shift (positive or negative) in the MF of your world would it take to affect germination or root growth negatively? Is that something you could play around with?

<snip> I need something to have changed.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
There's a lot of food for thought here. :) And a lot of stuff that may work, but maybe needing a little refinement.

I don't think the climate issue would work, because it has to be something they believe they can reverse and/or defeat. (Waiting out a magnetic pole flip, or something of that sort, might work, but I'd imagine if the magnetosphere started to go it'd probably keep going.) They're sawing off table legs, as it were, always convinced that the next move they make will return them to equilibrium. Which is why cancer meds were appealing; they may have other formulations in the works, and they assume if they can just get over the gap everything will be fine.

I need all this to lead to human experimentation, by the way. I was thinking on gametes or embryos, but depending on what else I change it doesn't have to be that. Spouse was wondering if manufacturing certain medications using human organs would be a plausible thing - it's maybe a bit grislier than I was thinking, but it's a thought.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Why not use animal or bacterial producers. Vaccines are made using yeast, drugs are produced in goat milk, pigs' blood vessels work well as human vascular replacements.

Medicine From Milk: Gene Therapy Could Transform Goats Into Pharmaceutical Factories

Creating Human Drugs From Genetically Engineered Animals

Turning Plants into Drug Factories

They've got no animals.

ETA: Not meaning to be terse! I was on mobile and half asleep. :)

This may be the wrong setup for the whole thing, really. I initially had different reasons for the human experimentation, and two separate people expressed skepticism about part of the setup. (I still disagree, but I understand the issue and I suspect they wouldn't be the only people bouncing off it for that reason.) But I have a tendency to overcomplicate when I'm trying to clear a knot like this. I just really want the rest of the book to work - I can make some changes, but not to the central themes.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why cancer? There are few chemotherapy drugs that can be replicated through plant-based options although there are some cancers that can be treated with plant-based chemicals. There hasn't been enough research to verify that cancer adapts to drug resistance in the same way a virus will and, given the medical process involved, it would be highly unlikely for a population to develop a cancer resistant to specific medications. But new cancers are found all the time and a new cancer that can't be treated by known options is always possible.

You might want to rethink cancer as your disease and choose something viral if you want a population resistant to treatments.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.