How fares your inner child?

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
Just reheard the opening music of the Never Ending Story and I though of this question: What story from your childhood or early teen still make you dream? Is there a movie or a book you still watch or read with pleasure?

For me, it would be:

The Never Ending Story (First movie, but I read the book recently)
Labyrinth (The movie with David Bowie)
Dark Crystal
Krull
The Hobbit

Now your turn. What awaken your inner child?

Last edited:

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Anything by Roald Dahl, but especially The Witches (book) and Matilda (book+movie)
Pippi Longstocking, whenever it's on TV but also the songs (which my 5,5 year old sister regularly wants to hear when we're in the car)
W.I.T.C.H., I reread some of the comics not too long ago!

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I'm a little different. Whenever I eat watermelon or honey or even smell cucumbers, I am taken back to my boyhood summers at my grandparents farm in Kentucky. The memories of those times are golden.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
I'm a little different. Whenever I eat watermelon or honey or even smell cucumbers, I am taken back to my boyhood summers at my grandparents farm in Kentucky. The memories of those times are golden.

Oh, yes. Scent is a true time travel machine. To good and bad memories (why can't we filter that?)

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dr. Doolittle (the musical movie with Rex Harrison.) I still think I can talk to animals if only I try hard enough.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Music from The Graduate and really anything by Simon and Garfunkle (sp?). I was no fan of the Beatles at the time, but much of their music will do it too (I like it better now). Music from The Sound of Music, Carousel, Guys & Dolls, Pinocchio, West Side Story, Mary Poppins, and How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying will all send me back.

I trained for opera, and the songs I learned during voice lessons often send me back. Likewise the songs we regularly heard on the radio.

But to really send me back, put me in a room with genuine antique Oriental rugs. We had a collection of them (on a civil servant's pay, I might add) that my parents started as a cheap way to bring some warmth to their cold floors. (I kid you not.) Nothing sends me back to my childhood quicker. Except maybe the sight of lantana, bouganvilla (sp?), and Cape Honeysuckle. Or best of all, the fragrance of sweet alyssum, which was outside my grandmother's apartment building.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
The Adventures of Otis and Milo. Loved all the nature cinematography. And Walk Outside is just a super happy song.
The Rescuers Down Under. Super underrated film.
The Secret of NIHM (film is a masterpiece, but the book is good too)
Of course Narnia and LOTR comes as no surprise.
Castle in the Sky

My inner child is faring very well....but there comes a point when he realizes “I can’t make that.”

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Dinotopia, by James Gurney and The Last Unicorn (the animated movie).

I was a dinosaur kid. I designed my own imaginary dinosaurs, sniffed haughtily at anatomically inaccurate plastic toy depictions, and re-enacted my favorite scenes from Jurassic Park on the playground (with me as the t-rex or the velociraptor). Dinotopia was a lush, beautifully illustrated adventure that posited the hope that dinosaurs just might yet be within reach, somewhere in the middle of the unexplored ocean. It nurtured my sense of hope, my love for learning new dinosaurs, and encouraged me to draw, too; illustrated stories still had value (as opposed to just being 'picture books'). Nowadays, James Gurney inspires the heck out of me by being one of the finest illustrators in the business (in my opinion), but flipping through the first book in the series just takes me back and lifts my heart.

The Last Unicorn was one of the few animated movies in my grandmother's collection, specifically acquired for us grandkids. We watched that VHS over and over and over... and when I got to see that movie on the big screen during Peter S. Beagle's tour a few years ago, I nearly cried. Yes, I'm grown now, and yes, I understand Molly Grue's how dare you more than ever, and yes, I now own multiple copies of the book, but it was the animated movie I first experienced, and I can almost smell my grandmother's tv-room and feel the scratchy fur of her stuffed animal toys when I hear that opening credits song.

I rewatch and I reread many, many things from when I was yet a kid, and I enjoy them with eyes both young and old... but those two are the powerhouses.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Music is too weird and obscure to list.

I'm plowing through my old Dear America and Royal Diaries and American Girl books right now and it's like putting on a cozy pair of pajamas and having a nice cup of cocoa.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
The Chronicles of Narnia pretty much formed the world view that I hold to this day. I also was certain that I could talk to animals if I tried hard enough. And I still believe that.

Half Magic by Edward Eager

Music - The Beatles. I start crying when I hear a good Beatles song. I think it is a nostalgia for the hopefulness of the 60s and 70s. Yes, it was also an f-ed up time but there was some innocence there that has evaporated from the world.

petuh112

Has no idea what's going on
Registered
Reaction score
Basically any old Miyazaki movie does it for me, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke. I don't rewatch them often enough, those movies are amazing.
Also just daydreaming, it feels like I never have the time to just relax anymore but whenever I get lost in my thoughts I feel like I'm a kid again.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even tell you how happy I got when the kids sang the Neverending Story song in Stranger Things (and I didn't realize until then how little sense those lyrics make).

Anyway, the Oz books were a big thing for me as a child. When I could convince the librarians to let me go into the adult section and that I wouldn't mess anything up (hands clean, quiet and respectable child, etc) I got Stephen King books (started early).

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Oh and movies: Back to the Future, Weird Science, Neverending Story. Pippi Longstocking, Professional "wrasslin'" as my grandma called it.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, the Oz books were a big thing for me as a child. When I could convince the librarians to let me go into the adult section and that I wouldn't mess anything up (hands clean, quiet and respectable child, etc) I got Stephen King books (started early).

I also started early but got tired of Stephen King. Now I'm a faithfull follower of our great lord Cthulhu. First time I read Lovecraft's stories, I didn't sleep for a week. Good memories.

StylusRumble

Registered
Reaction score
Basically any old Miyazaki movie does it for me, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke. I don't rewatch them often enough, those movies are amazing.
Also just daydreaming, it feels like I never have the time to just relax anymore but whenever I get lost in my thoughts I feel like I'm a kid again.

Same for Miyazaki! It's so magical! T.T

I never let go of my inner child. I firmly believe in not growing up, so I got into animation. That way I can make money and be in denial at the same time.
The new Dark Crystal series murdered me. It's so beautiful! I also go back to Spirited Away, Lilo and Stitch, the old hand-drawn Disney movies from the 90's. There's a new series based on the Hilda graphic novels that is really beautiful. Troll Hunters has some amazing world building.
If we're just listing cartoons, I'm going to be a while...

birdieb

Registered
Reaction score
Not all are from my childhood, but all make me feel as deeply as I did as a child/teen and to me that feeling is more important than what inspires it (though i am forever grateful of people who make art that inspires it)

Pippi Longstocking
Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot
Nothing has to be true by First Aid Kit

One of my favorite things is the effect the scent of vanilla seems to have on 90% of men. It puts me deep into observer mode which is one of the most deeply pleasurable feelings from childhood. I also love when I'm in a large group and someone has a crush on someone else but I'm the only one who's noticed it so far so I'm every once in awhile scanning the eyes of the group to see who else has realized yet. My god, this is like a top 10 feeling. I live for it.

I also love the feeling of scanning the eyes of the group to find who else is having the reaction I'm having to what's being said or done. It's like an informal instinctual IQ test (a certain kind of intelligence, not all intelligence). When you actually do find someone having the same reaction as you that's like a top 5 feeling. And then having to hold in your laughter once you lock eyes and feel like you have a certain level of permission to let it all out now but you don't because you're polite and don't want to shame anybody. Which is like an informal instinctual empathy test. Great feeling.

Guy Ritchie's King Arthur, Joy, Silver Linings Playbook, Dark Horse, Lost in Translation. Staying up til 4am researching whatever I'm obsessed with, listening to sad songs, reading, etc. I love how good it feels to learn stuff at 3am, or to cry to a sad song at 3am. It's like my own secret world.

Mr. Rogers used to make me feel loved. I can remember watching his show even though I thought it was pretty corny and boring (I remember feeling this way as a child) because I remember how loved he made me feel and I'd sit through anything to feel that sincere affection.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I also started early but got tired of Stephen King. Now I'm a faithfull follower of our great lord Cthulhu. First time I read Lovecraft's stories, I didn't sleep for a week. Good memories.

I've tried to read Lovecraft. He's my bf's favorite. I need to give it yet another go. I know the stories are good, but I think every time I tried I had so much on my mind that I couldn't concentrate.

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score
Tamora Pierce's novels for me. I first read them when I was ten or eleven and they're still some of my favourites to go back to.