Selling and setting up an Amazon author page for books not sold through KDP

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Asking for a friend...

Okay a real, actual friend, not a pretend one because I'm the one doing this. My friend has done a print run of a collection of short stories through a vanity press. He does have somewhat of a regional following, as he is a former newspaper columnist. He is also a luddite.

He wishes to sell his books online through Amazon, and get a corresponding author page through Amazon as well. I know that to sell his books online, he has to obtain a seller account, and he's responsible for packaging and shipping his books (he has a pallet of them in the garage.) Questions:

1. How do you get the book, sold as a third party product, to list on Amazon as a book? Obviously there is a process as major publishers do that.

2. Can you associate a book not produced through KDP with your KDP author central account? Or is there another way to get an author page?

How's this going to play out?

Oh, and I should add, at one point he considered creating an ebook version of his book on KDP, but then decided he did not in fact want his book in ebook form. Why I don't know. I might convince him otherwise if there is a compelling reason to do so with respect to the process of selling his hard copies.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
1. How do you get the book, sold as a third party product, to list on Amazon as a book? Obviously there is a process as major publishers do that.

Major publishers don't list their books as third party products. Those listings are from random people or companies who (most times don't even have the book) and they will get copies and mail them out. This is the case for self-published authors as well. Their books are sold from third-parties as well and nor the author or publisher gets anything from these sales.

It would be easier for your friend to publish his book through Amazon and just make a print version. Amazon will ship out and take care of orders. Your friend will be able to order his own copies to sell as well. It takes no time at all to do this and will be ten times easier than being a vendor.

2. Can you associate a book not produced through KDP with your KDP author central account? Or is there another way to get an author page?

No, you can't add a book not on Amazon to your Author Central Account. If you want to have a page for all of your books you need to create your own landing page or a page on your website. Amazon pages are only for books published on Amazon.

Oh, and I should add, at one point he considered creating an ebook version of his book on KDP, but then decided he did not in fact want his book in ebook form. Why I don't know. I might convince him otherwise if there is a compelling reason to do so with respect to the process of selling his hard copies.

He's gonna have a hard time selling to the majority of people without an ebook. Some people have a prejudice against ebooks. Maybe that's the issue here but if he expects to reach the widest audience possible he is going to need an ebook version. Millions of people now read books solely on ereaders, devices and phones. He will be missing out on a huge market. You want a compelling reason to tell him why he should reconsider then tell him it's because he won't make any money. :)

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
So he wants to be a vendor on Amazon? As I understand it, it's not all that easy but it can be done. He'll need to do considerable research.

https://ecomincomeblueprint.com/become-vendor-amazon/

https://www.orcapac.com/blog/amazon-vendor/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kirima...o-seller-central-what-to-do-now/#7466b1101d59

After performing his due diligence, he might want to reconsider his aversion to the ebook option . . . just sayin'. :Shrug:

Yeah, I agree with both yourself and cool pop on this. Thanks for the links. Sounds like a pain.

Major publishers don't list their books as third party products. Those listings are from random people or companies who (most times don't even have the book) and they will get copies and mail them out. This is the case for self-published authors as well. Their books are sold from third-parties as well and nor the author or publisher gets anything from these sales.

It would be easier for your friend to publish his book through Amazon and just make a print version. Amazon will ship out and take care of orders. Your friend will be able to order his own copies to sell as well. It takes no time at all to do this and will be ten times easier than being a vendor.

No, you can't add a book not on Amazon to your Author Central Account. If you want to have a page for all of your books you need to create your own landing page or a page on your website. Amazon pages are only for books published on Amazon.

He's gonna have a hard time selling to the majority of people without an ebook. Some people have a prejudice against ebooks. Maybe that's the issue here but if he expects to reach the widest audience possible he is going to need an ebook version. Millions of people now read books solely on ereaders, devices and phones. He will be missing out on a huge market. You want a compelling reason to tell him why he should reconsider then tell him it's because he won't make any money. :)

There is an argument for creating a KDP Print book certainly, but not only is he hung up with cover and paper material and finish, but he also has a big existing stock of books he wishes to unload. It sounds like the way to go is to become one of those third party vendors who offers up copies of trade published works, for his own material.

I think he creates an ebook, sets up an Author Central account, and links an option to purchase his own hard copies in the ebook's product description. Assuming, of course, this isn't something Amazon would have a cow about.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
He would have to do a print copy through Amazon and it would be linked to his ebook if he does one. You are right, Amazon won't allow links to other books in the description. No way. Whether they are published on Amazon or not, you can't link to books on your product page. They certainly don't want someone using their site and bandwidth to send sales elsewhere.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
He would have to do a print copy through Amazon and it would be linked to his ebook if he does one. You are right, Amazon won't allow links to other books in the description. No way. Whether they are published on Amazon or not, you can't link to books on your product page. They certainly don't want someone using their site and bandwidth to send sales elsewhere.

Makes sense, and that is fair.

The bottom line is that if he wishes to have an Amazon presence and an author page, he's going to do an ebook and a KDP Print POD book, and potential third party buyers of his existing stock of hard copies can be had through links to his website. Whatever formatting software the vanity publisher used can most likely produce the required PDF needed for KDP Print, and likely whatever format the cover is in won't require much modification for a front, back and spline submission.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Makes sense, and that is fair.

The bottom line is that if he wishes to have an Amazon presence and an author page, he's going to do an ebook and a KDP Print POD book, and potential third party buyers of his existing stock of hard copies can be had through links to his website. Whatever formatting software the vanity publisher used can most likely produce the required PDF needed for KDP Print, and likely whatever format the cover is in won't require much modification for a front, back and spline submission.

Oh, goodness. He signed with a vanity press! :( Not trying to be rude but I get the feeling your friend hasn't done enough research about self-publishing. First, his opinion on ebooks is misguided and detrimental to whatever he hopes to achieve but he is with a vanity press to boot??? Vanity presses are never a good idea. Most are scams if not all. But, from what you say he seems to not listen to opinions. You can lead a horse to water...

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Oh, goodness. He signed with a vanity press! :( Not trying to be rude but I get the feeling your friend hasn't done enough research about self-publishing. First, his opinion on ebooks is misguided and detrimental to whatever he hopes to achieve but he is with a vanity press to boot??? Vanity presses are never a good idea. Most are scams if not all. But, from what you say he seems to not listen to opinions. You can lead a horse to water...

Okay. So, I'm looking at Ken Follett. He has an Amazon author page, and his books are available in several formats, including hardcover, paperback (two versions) and audible CD, and they are listed on his author page. How does that work?

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
It's the same as I explained. The books are sold on Amazon (formats or whatever) and that's how they are linked to his page. Any author can have any format linked to their page if the format is SOLD on Amazon. Indies and trade authors. Anyone who publishes on Amazon or who has books sold through Amazon can do the same. You just can't link to things that are not available through Amazon. All those formats Ken has are sold on Amazon so they can go on his author page.

If your friend wants to do this, he will have to publish his book in different formats and sell them on Amazon. Then he can have them on his page.

Also, there is no possible way to link an outside book to Amazon through your page because you have to search for the book through Author Central and then it gets linked to your page. So the book won't be there if it's not on Amazon in the first place.

Why can't your friend just publish a paperback on Amazon to get a page? He doesn't have to actually sell the book, just have it available. If he just wants to pass out copies himself, he can. He just can't use Amazon to sell or promote a book that is not actually published there. Or he can do what I suggested and make his own landing page. Doesn't he have a website? Making a landing page is easy and he can just promote that. Then he can put any book he wants on his own page.

This explains Author Central here and how you make a page. Scroll to the Include All Versions of Your Books. It explains how you have to search for your books ON AMAZON and select them to be included on your Amazon page: https://kindlepreneur.com/amazon-author-central-page/

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If he is publishing an ebook with kindle he can have an author page. From that page he can claim any listed book where he is named as an author. His ebook will have a listing and other formats (print, audio etc)can be added to that listing. That part is easy.

If he wants to sell print copies via Amazon and ship them himself that part is hard and tedious and the books will end up being more expensive for customers with lower profit for him versus just print publishing with kindle. For that reason, doing so makes little sense even given the sunk cost he has in the printed books.

That decision is made and IMHO he should not enter the related costs it into future publishing calculations--only consider where having copies in existence reduces cost or effort rather than increasing it. Try and recover some value from it in other ways like selling them via signings, selling locally on consignment, and sending them to amenable reviewers and libraries.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
One additional thought: If he does set up a KDP print edition first he could mark it as a second edition. He might them work out a marketplace option for offering first edition signed copies as well. I doubt they will sell as well but in that context the external fulfillment and added price/shipping delay/not Prime eligable situation might be more acceptable to customers. And he will not be losing the customers who want it cheaper and faster.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
That all makes sense to me. I have a copy of his book, and he has a copy of one of my KDP Print books. To me, the cover, finish and paper are perfectly fine for the KDP Print books, but to him, he's hung up over the paper and finish. I think he doesn't realize how little of a difference it makes to most readers. I've rested my case, and if he chooses to make an ebook and POD version, and keep the existing stock for signings and giveaways, fine, or not, that's fine too.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When people buy online they have no idea what the coverstock or paper is like--and I agree that few ever think about it much. Authors often take some time to realize they are in the business of pleasing the customers, not themselves. I would suggest considering offering both and experience will show which one people prefer.