Howdy

jperez6814

Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm Jess, or JP. I graduated with my Bachelors in English this May! Last spring I swore to myself I wouldn't just let the creative juices stop just because I'd have to start caring about a 401k. Well, the 401k showed up, so I'm showing up too. Once upon a time I thought I would be a big time sci-fi writer, but that's long gone now. My three big works in undergrad were a tongue-in-cheek poetry collection about personal finance, a play about a coffee machine cult, and my senior thesis about a superhero marketing firm. So... I like office satire? I dunno. I just want people to be less grim for a bit.

In other news, I just got my first big-kid job as a children's librarian (at a location where I worked shelving books all through college... small steps and all that). If you're wondering what kids ages 8-17 like to read, play, or do, I've got you covered. I also have lots of practical experience in the treatment and disposal of large, bookshelf-loving ant colonies. Hope you're proud, mom.

Nice to meet all of you!

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Heyo and welcome!

And heck yes to the being less grim. I'm slowly accepting the fact that I've been an office job long enough to (kind of) call it a career, so... yeah, I'm starting to sympathize a lot with office satire (and now I want to go rewatch all of Better Off Ted).

... okay, I have to ask. Ant colonies? In a library? (It's more likely than I think?)

jperez6814

Registered
Reaction score
I 1000% forgot Better Off Ted was even a show... let's do a little googling here... where can I watch this? Hulu?

About the ants: it's definitely a thing at my branch, but we're also one of those buildings that floods on a partly cloudy day. So we might just be, uh, special. But have no fear -- even if the ants infect your library, I'm sure the staff are on it :) Keep pushing through that office job!

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Better off Ted is on either Amazon Prime, Youtube, or Google Play. Long live Veridian Dynamics.

And... huh. I don't think our library has ever experienced an ant problem... but our campus does have rattlesnakes that regularly get into the buildings and need to be extracted. I don't know if there's a preferable situation between the two. Might have to think on that one.

evbell

Registered
Reaction score
I'M NEW TOO OH SHIT CAPS LOCK IS ON

sorry for all the yelling i'm just excited to be here! cheers to being less grim!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Jess.

Jess was my grandfather--named in 1898. We don't see it so much anymore for young men.

Sci-fi was also my go-to genre in college and grad school with a creative dissertation based on my own anthology of short stories.

I think you'll like it here. :greenie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.