• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Waterside Productions

Empress Awesome

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware.
Registered
Reaction score
Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
Website
empressawesome.blogspot.com
I hated to be a pest with that second email, but I too got a nice reply from Kathleen. At least I know she got it. I figure, with all those pages to read, it'll be at least a couple days before I can even hope for a reply.

Wishing you luck there Empress! By the way, how long of a synopsis did she request?

Awesome! I hope she gets back to both of us soon :) She didn't specify about the synopsis, but mine was only a page.

Empress Awesome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, it's not bad news. I read on an agent's blog (I forget which) that she uses the synopsis only when she's in doubt about the direction a manuscript is taking. So she thinks the writing is good but the plot has veered off the course she thinks it should take. She can quickly look at the synopsis to see if the story is about to get back on-track or not so she knows whether it's worth reading on.

The good news is it's not dead, the bad news is you may be looking at a revision rather than an offer if anything good materialises.

(all of this is of course conjecture, please don't read too much into it)

Say it ain't so! I hope it's not so... it's not so! Because I say so ;P

I don't think the agent should decide the path that the story takes. I respect their opinion and all, but this is not a co-written affair.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Say it ain't so! I hope it's not so... it's not so! Because I say so ;P

I don't think the agent should decide the path that the story takes. I respect their opinion and all, but this is not a co-written affair.

No, they don't decide the path the story takes.

They decide which stories they take.

JennJohansson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennjohansson.blogspot.com
Awesome! I hope she gets back to both of us soon :) She didn't specify about the synopsis, but mine was only a page.

Congrats! If it makes you feel any better, she asked for a synopsis on mine too (also after about about 5 days) and her revisions have been fairly minor and absolutely brilliant.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Jenn

Empress Awesome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats! If it makes you feel any better, she asked for a synopsis on mine too (also after about about 5 days) and her revisions have been fairly minor and absolutely brilliant.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Jenn

Officially freaking out again!!! Thank you :)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
For those tracking dates,
Query: 3/28
Rejection: 5/9

It was a nice personal rejection (no feedback, though).

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
For those tracking dates,
Query: 3/28
Rejection: 5/9

It was a nice personal rejection (no feedback, though).

Thanks for the update, Erin! I submitted on 7th April, so hopefully should hear back within the next week or so (I was beginning to lose hope on this one)!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a full manuscript request from Kathleen Rushall. She seems lovely. It was worth the wait! :)

Good luck to all those with queries still out there!

YA_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
It's great to see so many positive comments.

Good luck Samara!

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick heads-up about Kathleen Rushall. Kathleen tweeted yesterday that she has joined the Marsal Lyon Literary Agency as an agent. :)

She will still be representing YA, MG, select picture books and adult non-fiction. A few tweeters have asked her about queries sent to her old email address. She advised that if anyone has not yet heard back from a query sent to her old email yet, to please re-query her at her new email address (details to come on the agency website).

I've just sent her a message to check that she'll be taking already-requested full manuscripts with her, as she has my full right now! ;)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen's updated info is up on the Marsal Lyon agency website and QueryTracker.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Kathleen was kind enough to refer my proposal to David Nelson at Waterside, and as of this morning he is my agent. In all, I had four offers of representation and am going with him because of his ideas and experience in the business.

Nervous but excited!

Oh, just fyi, my book is non-fiction, a true crime story.

poppyI

Registered
Reaction score
Same day rejection from Jill kramer! I don't know whether i should be happy or sad!!