Quoting multiple posts in a reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coralynn

Learning and Improving
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen other people quote multiple posts in one reply and this seems to make the thread much less jumbled, but I can't figure out how to do it. Could someone give me a little guidance or shoot me a link to basic thread instructions? Thank you in advance.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
To the right of the "Reply With Quote" button is an icon of the quote-bubble with a plus sign. Click that on all the posts you want to quote, then click the blue "Reply to Thread" button near the button and it'll make all the quoted posts appear in the Quick Reply box.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow. Now I'm dangerous.

Coralynn

Learning and Improving
Registered
Reaction score
You want to use the multiquote option in your reply.

Look at the far right of a post at the bottom of the post; it looks like the reply with quote button AND has a small +sign.

To the right of the "Reply With Quote" button is an icon of the quote-bubble with a plus sign. Click that on all the posts you want to quote, then click the blue "Reply to Thread" button near the button and it'll make all the quoted posts appear in the Quick Reply box.

Thank you both. It seems like I have it figured out now :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We love a happy ending!

benjj

Registered
Reaction score

Thank you both. It seems like I have it figured out now :)

Woo hoo! I learned how to do it too!

guppie1813

Registered
Reaction score
wait....how do you quote just one post? When I click 'reply with quote' I get the whole post as a quote. Is there a way to just select the part of the post that you want to quote?

Last edited by a moderator:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
wait....how do you quote just one post? When I click 'reply with quote' I get the whole post as a quote. Is there a way to just select the part of the post that you want to quote?

No. You have to edit it. The way the software work is it uses tags for formatting. The particular kind of tags are called BBCode. Here's a list.

Tags go in square brackets.

[tag]

Some tags are in pairs; you turn on a tag with one set of square bracks, and turn it off with another set using a /. Here's how to turn on a quote and turn it off.

[quote] Your Quoted text[/quote].

To quote just part of a post you can use Reply with Quote and edit, if you just one one bit.

If you want to quote multiple bits with commentary, you insert the quote tag [quote] where you want to begin a quote and the [/quote] after you finish the quote.

To check your post before it's actually posted click Go Advanced and then Preview.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also considered good manners to edit away the parts of a quoted post that aren't related to your reply. So if I post about my Christmas dinner, the clever thing our daughter said, and my edits, and your reply is only about my edits, people joining the conversation late don't have to read about that dinner and daughter.

And it's super good manners to insert <snip> or something else to indicated text is deliberately removed when it's not obvious. Usually it is, but not always.

Maryn, who liked the Miss Manners books

Status
Not open for further replies.