When an agent you've queried moves to another agency with an agent you've queried . . .

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I haven't been querying long enough to have run into as many special circumstances as I have. Here's a new one for me, which I submit to the greater wisdom of AW sages:

I submitted to Agent A when she was at one agency. She's announced her new agency on Twitter. (BTW, third agent I've submitted to who has moved). When this has happened with other agents, I followed them to their new home and sent a query using the new system/submission manager.

But this time Agent A has moved to an agency where I have already queried Agent B, and the agency has a strict no multiple submissions within the agency. I take this to mean that I can't resubmit to Agent A. If she plucks a few promising brands from the trash fire of her slush pile at former agency, so be it. Otherwise, I'm out of luck until I get an R from Agent B.

Is this right?

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I'd do it, personally. But I seem to have a pretty high threshold for rejection. (As in, I don't care how many times I get rejected.) Pretty sure that's just the worst that can happen, is you only get rejected again, either via email or eternal silence.
*shrug*

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I needed more patience--agent just announced on Twitter that she'll respond to all queries made when she was still at old agency BEFORE opening to queries at her new agency. Sounds like I get another unexpected "win." Not that it will result in representation, but I won't have to wait to get in line again to get reviewed and get rejected.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Did the agent say she isn't considering the queries she received before moving? Just because she moved doesn't mean she isn't going to still look at the queries she got at the other place. I'd definitely email and ask but everything might be as it was before and she just moved.

ETA: After seeing OP's last comment. Looks like I was right. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
I'd do it, personally. But I seem to have a pretty high threshold for rejection. (As in, I don't care how many times I get rejected.) Pretty sure that's just the worst that can happen, is you only get rejected again, either via email or eternal silence.
*shrug*

I think the lurking fear that leads to crazy psychoanalysis of situations and words and hints and how long a query response takes is that you could do something that gives you a bad reputation in the agent community. So I dont' think that's even remotely possible here, but it's an understandable fear. I'm sure there are stories agents swap of horror submitters, and I've read some horror stories of people responding badly to rejection, to the point of physical violence. You definitely don't want to end up on some list like that, and ferar it.