Finding Beta Reader For Nonfiction

stevkaprel

Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking for beta readers for my nonfiction book. I offer to do it on a swap basis.
I am finding it difficult to find a beta reader for non-fiction. It seems that anything other than fantasy, YA, horror, romance, erotic is a long shot. Since I would not enjoy reading any of those genres I'm begining to think I'm going to be looking for a long time. Thoughts?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking for beta readers for my nonfiction book. I offer to do it on a swap basis.
I am finding it difficult to find a beta reader for non-fiction. It seems that anything other than fantasy, YA, horror, romance, erotic is a long shot. Since I would not enjoy reading any of those genres I'm begining to think I'm going to be looking for a long time. Thoughts?

Welll..... maybe start by telling us what your non-fic is actually about. Also - re: the bolded - readers read all sorts of things. But you might have already cruelled your chances with fantasy, horror, YA, horror, romance and erotica writers. Who knows?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I've ever had non-fiction beta readers. What are you looking for them to provide? Once you know that, you might have an idea who to look for.

Jeff

PhilF

Registered
Reaction score
I too am looking for beta readers

I have written a non technical book to help those who wish to self-build their own home.
It covers green issues and on to professionals and design as well as things you need to know.
I am particularly interested in USA based readers as most of my experience is in UK and Australia although I think it will be
relevant to many parts of the world.
I shall of course return the compliment.

Thanks

Phil

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have written a non technical book to help those who wish to self-build their own home.

Normally, if you're going for a traditional publisher instead of self publishing, you would write a proposal for this and submit it to publishers then, once you have a contract, you would write it. If you're self publishing, this one may be a tough sell unless you have some expertise, like you'd built 20+ houses using the techniques in the book.

The other issue will be making it work for the entire world. Just simple things like using 2x4s in the US and 4x2s in Australia will be issues. Same board, different terminology. Electrical and plumbing get even more complicated. Forget about trying to translate 19mm plywood. :)

When you get enough posts, try posting a sample in the share your work forum to see if it works across various borders.

And no, there really aren't a lot of, if any, non-fiction beta readers. You might be looking for a development editor instead.

Jeff

PhilF

Registered
Reaction score
Normally, if you're going for a traditional publisher instead of self publishing, you would write a proposal for this and submit it to publishers then, once you have a contract, you would write it. If you're self publishing, this one may be a tough sell unless you have some expertise, like you'd built 20+ houses using the techniques in the book.

The other issue will be making it work for the entire world. Just simple things like using 2x4s in the US and 4x2s in Australia will be issues. Same board, different terminology. Electrical and plumbing get even more complicated. Forget about trying to translate 19mm plywood. :)

When you get enough posts, try posting a sample in the share your work forum to see if it works across various borders.

And no, there really aren't a lot of, if any, non-fiction beta readers. You might be looking for a development editor instead.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Yes a tough sell.

I am a qualified building surveyor with more than 40 years experience and have built way more than 20 houses - and worked on a whole range of projects.

I am not aware of anyone producing - successfully or not - a joint book for the USA (imperial) and the rest of the world metric) but I want to give it a go - by publishing separate versions.

I am old enough to have been trained in imperial and have consulted for US companies.

I shall take your advice and post a sample if a few more people come to the party.

I promise it's not a hard read and has a sprinkling of humour!

Thanks for reaching out.

Phillip

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
People beta-read stuff that interest them. Maybe try asking other people interested in self-building. After all, the content is as important as the structure and style.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Phil, if your draft is in good enough shape, you might want to try to get people known in the field to read it. My first book was a non-fiction western, and I was lucky enough to get three authors who had done similar works to read it. Not only did I receive some wonderful feedback, but having all of them fully endorse the book made it much easier for me to get a publisher, and it gave me some great quotes that were used on the back cover. Good luck.

PhilF

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone

Good advice - I shall broaden my contact list!

Phil

Professorjpj

Banned
Reaction score
Its a sad thing isnt it?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a 50-post requirement for asking for beta readers, so that might be the problem there..

Reactions: byarvin

Viva Venezuela

Registered
Reaction score
All these posts are old.
I also have a non-fiction book I need beta readers for, and if anyone else has any type of book they'd like me to beta read I'd do a swap with you. I read a lot and I'm opinionated, so I might be helpful I hope.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi there. What kind of book is it? A beta-reader is best if they represent your target customer. Being a non-fiction author is a plus but IMHO less important. There is a beta-reader subform here at AW. If it's anywhere in the area of life sciences or cognitive sciences I could give it a look, but I don't have time for a full beta read in the next few weeks.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All these posts are old.
I also have a non-fiction book I need beta readers for, and if anyone else has any type of book they'd like me to beta read I'd do a swap with you. I read a lot and I'm opinionated, so I might be helpful I hope.
Hi Viva,
If you check the post above yours, you'll see that Absolute Write members must have at least 50 posts before they can request beta readers. Once you've made 50 posts, you can put up a request for beta readers in the appropriate section.

Reactions: AW Admin