Global Climate Strike

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a kid walking by with a little cardboard sign hung around her neck saying Climate Strike this Friday! The city said kids who ditch school won't be considered absent (it's excused) if they have parental consent. That's over a million kids who can get out of class with no penalty, so I'm guessing a bunch will be taking them up on it and hitting the streets.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Excellent turn outs in the capitals in Australia, with Melbourne and Sydney at the top of the list, as you'd expect. Twenty-two thousand people joined the rally in Hobart, which is more than 10% of the city's population. Also excellent numbers in many regional towns. These were the largest protests since the anti-Iraq war rallies in 2003. Mind you, our cowardly and sycophantic PM has pissed off to Washington for the duration, which is pretty much what you'd expect from that useless coal-fondler.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09...raws-thousands-to-australian-rallies/11531612

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a hopeful sign, but most likely this sort of thing should have been done twenty years ago, to provide a real chance at turning things around. Still, better late than never. Perhaps there is still time to mollify some effects. Sadly, I fear no amount of public outcry will move those uncaring monsters of capitalism, corporations, and the politicians that they own. I guess, we'll see.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Perhaps there is still time to mollify some effects. Sadly, I fear no amount of public outcry will move those uncaring monsters of capitalism, corporations, and the politicians that they own. I guess, we'll see.

It's going to be harder and harder to escape the realities here in the US. It won't be long until almost no one will be left who has not been touched by some effect, whether it's flood or fire or storm or snowmelt. The voice of the electorate will move the needle eventually (although things will likely be very dire by then), but you're exactly right. It seems likely that needle movement is only going to be "the least amount possible to keep the masses subdued."

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was my favorite thing on Democracy Now this morning:
Bill McKibben: Youth Who Led Global Climate Strike Are Bringing a New “Spirit” to Climate Fight
BILL McKIBBEN: So, a few minutes later, this was my favorite moment. You know, as usual, the congressmen can’t help themselves, are just gassing on for minute after minute, unable to take a cue from Greta’s concise eloquence. One Republican, just on and on and on, “China this, China that,” “Why should we do anything? China’s not doing anything,” yadda yadda yadda. It goes on like this for five minutes.

And Greta looks up at him and says — she said, “I come from a small country called Sweden. In Sweden, sometimes people say, 'Why should we do anything, because the United States is so big and wastes so much?' Just so you know.” It was my favorite moment of congressional testimony in a long time.
:Thumbs:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The president of the US is shitposting on twitter about 16-yo Greta Thunberg, for those, who are keeping track of the people who he puts in his cross hairs. That the whole world is clamoring for her to get a Nobel Prize is really chapping his hide.

Even FOX News issued an apology for allowing one of its guests to go off on her.

Thank all the stars for the young people leading on this issue. Whatever history we have left, they're on the right side of it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gobsmacked by some of the criticism of her that I'm reading. Some people are simply disgusting, there's no better word for it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The president of the US is shitposting on twitter about 16-yo Greta Thunberg, for those, who are keeping track of the people who he puts in his cross hairs. That the whole world is clamoring for her to get a Nobel Prize is really chapping his hide.

Even FOX News issued an apology for allowing one of its guests to go off on her.

Thank all the stars for the young people leading on this issue. Whatever history we have left, they're on the right side of it.

Hey, ElaineA. Nice work, but you sold the sizzle, but not the steak. Allow me to embellish.

I make it a habit to deliberately avoid watching anything on Faux Noise Network because I don't like the feeling I get when my brains start dribbling out my ears, but the biggest laugh I have had this week came when the one guest, Christopher Hahn bent, folded, and mutilated some ex-Breitbart nobody Michael Knowles, threw his dessicated remains in the microwave and turned it on high.

Knowles joined commentator Christopher Hahn to discuss efforts to mitigate the effects of climate change, and immediately started in on Thunberg.

“The climate hysteria movement is not about science,” he said. “If it were about science, it would be led by scientists, rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child who’s being exploited by her parents and by the international left.”

For one thing, scientists have spent decades screaming from the quickly-melting rafters about impending climate doom—if anything, politicians have only just now jumped on the bandwagon. For another, reducing a 16-year-old activist on the autism spectrum to a “mentally ill” child is downright despicable, and Hahn told Knowles as much.

“You’re a grown man and you’re attacking a child. Shame on you,” Hahn said. When Knowles tried to protest, Hahn cut him off:

"Relax, skinny boy, I got this. You’re attacking a child. You’re a grown man, have some couth. Maybe on your podcast you can get away with whatever you want because nobody’s listening, but you’re on television. Be a grown up when you’re talking about children. She’s trying to save the planet because your president doesn’t believe in climate change. You should apologize on national television right now...You called her mentally ill. You’re despicable."

:flamethrower:flamethrower:flamethrower:flamethrower

Sick burn, brah. You need some ointment on that? I died laughing and came back to life so I could laugh all over again. :ROFL:

The look on Faux Noise honorary blonde Harris Faulkner's face when Hahn murder/death/kills Knowles on live TV is priceless. It's an "Ooooh--no, you didn't" moment.

Greta Thunberg is a fucking superhero and her power is to drive right-wing idiots absolutely nuts. The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

I'm gobsmacked by some of the criticism of her that I'm reading. Some people are simply disgusting, there's no better word for it.

Some people barely qualify as people.

Exhibit No. 1: Dinesh D'Souza aka Human Garbage.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

Some people barely qualify as people.

Exhibit No. 1: Dinesh D'Souza aka Human Garbage.

You are both exactly right. I give you Exhibit 2, D'Souza's fu**-buddy Laura Ingraham: https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1176329152812736512

The reason I heard about Ingraham was her brother Curtis RT'd that link with a tweet that read:
Clearly my sister’s paycheck is more important than the world her three adopted kids will inherit. I can no longer apologize for a sibling who I no longer recognize. I can and will continue to call out the monstrous behavior and the bully commentary born out of anger.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend is dealing with somebody on the Book of Face who thinks she's being manipulated by adults, and several of us have pointed out she's old enough to have formed a solid opinion and plan of action; hell, I remember being her age and becoming a bit more politically aware, therefore wanting and trying to do something about it. He's gotten to the "you can insult me, if you wish. I hope it makes you feel better about yourselves" stage of the argument. :dire:

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
I lost two Facebook friends for saying I was tired of her being personally attacked (People taking issue with some of the things she is saying is another matter. *I* don't agree with everything she's saying). One of them was on my feed mocking her hairstyle.

Ironically I then had to delete the post to break up the people personally attacking each other in the comments. Ugh.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Greta is amazing. It's exciting watching her and listening to her.

I was in DC Monday during the protest (for work, not the protest). The protesters really did a great job. They were extremely well organized. I did get stuck in terrible, terrible traffic, but knowing what it was for, the traffic really didn't bother me. It made me smile instead.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That is some disgustingly bizarre logic.

I posted this in the resist false information thread but it explains what people are seeing here.

TeenVogue: Attacks on Greta Thunberg Come from a Coordinated Network of Climate Change Deniers
“Freak yachting accidents do happen…”

That was how British businessman, Trump ally, and Brexit bankroller Arron Banks responded to the news that Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teen who inspired the school climate strikes movement, was sailing to America to attend the UN Climate Action Summit. His scorn was not unique.

Many people have already spilled thousands of words of commentary explaining how personal attacks on Greta — often lobbed by old white men, sometimes mocking her Aspergers — are unacceptable. But understanding where those attackers come from, ideologically and professionally, casts an important light on some of their dark statements.

That’s because a large subsection of the commentariat driving the abuse of Greta is part of an established network of radical free-marketeer lobby groups — a network that has firm ties to the fossil fuel industry and funders of climate science denial.

The groups are from European countries as well.
... the Brexit Party MEPs join other far-right populist parties in Brussels, including Marine Le Pen’s National Rally (formerly the Front National) and Alternative for Germany (AfD). All are united in their hatred for Greta. Two National Rally MPs recently boycotted her visit to France, and AfD representatives have made coordinated attacks on social media.

Those aggressions were orchestrated by the European Institute for Climate and Energy (EIKE) — an organization known for co-sponsoring events with U.S. free-market think tank, the Heartland Institute.

The article names names:
It’s perhaps unsurprising to find that many of the U.S. commentators verbally assaulting Greta also have ties to the Heartland Institute, given the organisation’s Big Oil funding and long-history of promoting climate science denial.

It's disgusting. No doubt she gets the same death and rape threats all prominent women on the Net get.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Eeew. Who in the f*** is this guy?

This is the thing about the era of social media that baffles me the most--the surfeit of people whose only claim to fame, as far as I can tell, is their ability to say stupid, offensive, and completely irrelevant things on Twitter (and their podcasts) and have people actually follow them.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God, now Dan Simmons has had an incredibly mean-spirited go at Greta. Never have heroes (or just pick your favourite creators from those who died young). This one’s physically painful.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God, now Dan Simmons has had an incredibly mean-spirited go at Greta. Never have heroes (or just pick your favourite creators from those who died young). This one’s physically painful.

Yeah, he's an incredibly talented and imaginative writer, but...yeah...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
What benefit do these morons think there is to be had from taking digs at a teenager, even if they don't agree with her political positions?

I can only assume they're not terribly bright. Of course, they're climate deniers, so...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What benefit do these morons think there is to be had from taking digs at a teenager, even if they don't agree with her political positions?

I can only assume they're not terribly bright. Of course, they're climate deniers, so...

People always tell who they are eventually. I guess it's just a matter of learning how quickly to spot it.

Eeew. Who in the f*** is this guy?

This is the thing about the era of social media that baffles me the most--the surfeit of people whose only claim to fame, as far as I can tell, is their ability to say stupid, offensive, and completely irrelevant things on Twitter (and their podcasts) and have people actually follow them.

Admittedly, I tried to spend as little time as possible thinking about this guy today. But I did note that he's a Libertarian Communist Catholic. Having experimented with all those ideologies, that fascinates me. But what kind of weirdo is a Libertarian Communist Catholic? It legitimately sounds like a joke.